The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

55 lbs trolling motor
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> General Technical Discussions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DayBreak

City/Region: Monmouth, Or.
State or Province: OR
C-Dory Year: 2018
C-Dory Model: 23 Venture
Vessel Name: DayBreak
Photos: DayBreak
PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2021 11:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

James,

Congrats on the electric motor choice for your C-Dory 16.

I think you will find that the 55 lb. thrust motor will be good to fish on a 16.

Do you still want me to get you the speed of our boat using the 55 lb. thrust motor on our 162 Smoker Craft? It doesn't have the same windage factor as your boat but it does have a full flat windshield and weights only slightly more.

iyaman

City/Region: Seattle
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 16 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Eye C Fish
Photos: Eye C Fish
PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2021 12:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DayBreak wrote:
James,

Congrats on the electric motor choice for your C-Dory 16.

I think you will find that the 55 lb. thrust motor will be good to fish on a 16.

Do you still want me to get you the speed of our boat using the 55 lb. thrust motor on our 162 Smoker Craft? It doesn't have the same windage factor as your boat but it does have a full flat windshield and weights only slightly more.

Thank you Gary. If you can please do. I'll also do some test after I install mine and post it here. Hopefully, it will help somebody in the future.

James

DayBreak

City/Region: Monmouth, Or.
State or Province: OR
C-Dory Year: 2018
Vessel Name: DayBreak
Photos: DayBreak
PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2021 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

James,

Finally getting back to you with a number. Based on no wind and flat water, we could only get 2 mph using the Minn Kota 55 lb. thrust motor. Let us know the performance numbers when you get your new Minn Kota 55 lb. thrust motor on your C-Dory 16.

Thanks.
robhwa

City/Region: Anderson Island
C-Dory Year: 2003
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Marcia C
Photos: Problemadela
PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2021 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DayBreak wrote:
James,

Finally getting back to you with a number. Based on no wind and flat water, we could only get 2 mph using the Minn Kota 55 lb. thrust motor. Let us know the performance numbers when you get your new Minn Kota 55 lb. thrust motor on your C-Dory 16.

Thanks.

This was about the same as my experience with the 55 lb on my CD22. It seemed inadequate, though I didn't measure speed. Given tides that can be 3 or 4 knots, and winds that wanted to spin the CD22 around, I found the 80 lb thrust Minnkota to be much better, particularly when tracking a course, usually to troll, or with Spotlock in a tide or wind. Hopefully, with the smaller, lighter CD16 you will be OK.

If you find the 55 lb to not work under the conditions you see in Puget Sound, you can add another motor to the antiventillation plate of your main, as I did. I have 160 lb total (80 bow and 80 stern). They move the CD22 about 4.5 mph lightly loaded at full throttle, which can handle most conditions.
iyaman

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2021 11:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you Rob and Gary.

I'll re measure the bow of the boat again tomorrow. Maybe a 60 inches will fit in? Sounds like I really need a 80lbs. Since my order is still awaiting status, I can cancel and order the 80 instead.

James

Last edited by iyaman on Tue Feb 09, 2021 11:05 pm; edited 1 time in total
T.R. Bauer

City/Region: Wasilla
State or Province: AK
C-Dory Year: 1993
Vessel Name: C-Whisperer
PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2021 11:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it is important to remember the cd 16 weighs only 16 pounds....lol....The 22 and 23 are 3 times heavier. But, it's way better to have too much then not enough Smile
iyaman

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2021 11:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

T.R. Bauer wrote:
I think it is important to remember the cd 16 weighs only 16 pounds....lol....The 22 and 23 are 3 times heavier. But, it's way better to have too much then not enough Smile

lol... Gary tested it on his Smoker Craft 162 Pro Tracer though. The flat water with no wind worries me.
T.R. Bauer

City/Region: Wasilla
State or Province: AK
C-Dory Year: 1993
Vessel Name: C-Whisperer
PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2021 12:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There should be wind free days built into the fishing season Smile
robhwa

City/Region: Anderson Island
C-Dory Year: 2003
Vessel Name: Marcia C
Photos: Problemadela
PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2021 2:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

T.R. Bauer wrote:

Agreed that having the stronger motor is better, but the boats are very different. Here are published weights.

23 ft Venture = 3020 lbs
22 ft Cruiser = 1925 lbs
16 ft Cruiser = 925 lbs

The "air" profile of the 16 is less than the 22 or 23 also. Considering the 54 (56.5 with "lift assist") inch shaft just fits my 22 bow deck at an angle, it is hard to imagine how you would fit a 60 inch, but it might work. I did originally buy a 24 inch aluminum plate to position the motor behind and to the left of the anchor pipe hanging away from the deck. Turned out I didn't need it.

I don't understand why Minn kota doesn't sell what you want any more...it's just a bit of wiring.

You are welcome to borrow my 55 lb and see how well it moves your boat. I don't use it. It does have compass tracking, but no GPS, and no Spot lock.

Also, I have 2 electric motors (80 lb bow and 80 lb stern) on my CD22 primarily because I took the 9.9 hp kicker off, and would use the electric motors and a generator to move me if the main motor gives trouble. I hauled that 9.9 around for three years without starting it except to test it, and the previous owner hadn't used it since 2003 except to test it.

I use the electric motors all of the time. Quiet, no smell, instant on/off and I can range speed from about 0.5 to 4.5 mph.
iyaman

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2021 10:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

23 ft Venture = 3020 lbs
22 ft Cruiser = 1925 lbs
16 ft Cruiser = 925 lbs

The "air" profile of the 16 is less than the 22 or 23 also. Considering the 54 (56.5 with "lift assist") inch shaft just fits my 22 bow deck at an angle, it is hard to imagine how you would fit a 60 inch, but it might work. I did originally buy a 24 inch aluminum plate to position the motor behind and to the left of the anchor pipe hanging away from the deck. Turned out I didn't need it.

I don't understand why Minn kota doesn't sell what you want any more...it's just a bit of wiring.

.[/quote]

Thank you Rob for the kind offer. I measured again this morning and a 60 inches shaft will have the head sticking outside.
GBM

City/Region: Cape Canaveral
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2016
Vessel Name: GBM
Photos: GBM
PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2021 5:20 am    Post subject: Minn Kota on 23' venture Reply with quote

We had our Minn Kota installed professionally on your CDory Venture 23'. The reason we did this was to overcome the challenge of figuring out how to mount the Minn Kota Riptide Ulterra 112 lb 72" with iPilot Link on the deck. The entire design was created by Scott at "Pirates Best Marine" , 321-783-0008 who have maintained our Suzuki 150 hp engine flawlessly over the years. https://www.piratesbest.com/
We wanted to have the automatic deploy and stow function so we would not have to climb out on the deck in 3-5 foot seas to fish offshore.
Another problem we had was the charging of the batteries. Since our C-dory was lifted in and out of the water and put in dry storage, we had no time and no place to charge the batteries. Pirates Best Marine added the charging system that runs off the alternator and goes to a battery charger which fully charges the 3 AGM batteries (under the passenger seat) while running the boat. The 3 Minn Kota AGM batteries are in a completely separate electrical circuit from the 2 house batteries. Another issue we had was the rails since the Minn Kota Riptide Ulterra with iPilot Link was automatic stow and deploy, it pushes foward 3" then lifts up, so cutting of the rails was necessary. The new iPilot-Link has the touchscreen remote and has much more memory to save tracks and spots compared to the older iPilot (without the Link) which is not touchscreen. So far we have fished in 2-3 foot seas and it has held us in our favorite fishing spots. Our next adventure will be to learn to troll with it.

https://www.piratesbest.com/ 321-783-0008
iyaman

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2021 11:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Minn Kota on 23' venture Reply with quote

GBM wrote:
We had our Minn Kota installed professionally on your CDory Venture 23'. The reason we did this was to overcome the challenge of figuring out how to mount the Minn Kota Riptide Ulterra 112 lb 72" with iPilot Link on the deck. The entire design was created by Scott at "Pirates Best Marine" , 321-783-0008 who have maintained our Suzuki 150 hp engine flawlessly over the years. https://www.piratesbest.com/
We wanted to have the automatic deploy and stow function so we would not have to climb out on the deck in 3-5 foot seas to fish offshore.
Another problem we had was the charging of the batteries. Since our C-dory was lifted in and out of the water and put in dry storage, we had no time and no place to charge the batteries. Pirates Best Marine added the charging system that runs off the alternator and goes to a battery charger which fully charges the 3 AGM batteries (under the passenger seat) while running the boat. The 3 Minn Kota AGM batteries are in a completely separate electrical circuit from the 2 house batteries. Another issue we had was the rails since the Minn Kota Riptide Ulterra with iPilot Link was automatic stow and deploy, it pushes foward 3" then lifts up, so cutting of the rails was necessary. The new iPilot-Link has the touchscreen remote and has much more memory to save tracks and spots compared to the older iPilot (without the Link) which is not touchscreen. So far we have fished in 2-3 foot seas and it has held us in our favorite fishing spots. Our next adventure will be to learn to troll with it.

https://www.piratesbest.com/ 321-783-0008

Thank you GBM. My TM finally arrived after ordering it February 6. I might go to that route of cutting the rails as was done in your boat. I should have time to finally mount it hopefully this weekend.
J.Will

City/Region: VT/ME
PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2021 10:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great info here. I’m looking at a 22 cruiser and was hoping to be able to mount my 60” terrova riptide on the bow. Sounds like it’s possible with a little ingenuity. I don’t think I can live without it now that I’m used to it.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> General Technical Discussions All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: