The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

55 lbs trolling motor
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> General Technical Discussions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
iyaman

City/Region: Seattle
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 16 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Eye C Fish
Photos: Eye C Fish
PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2021 12:38 pm    Post subject: 55 lbs trolling motor Reply with quote

I have a 16 cruiser. Because of the way I fish, i really need an electric trolling motor with spot lock. Due to the limited bow space, i think the longest shaft i can mount would be a 54 inches. I will soon put a humminbird FF and it will only link to ipilot link with minn kota trolling motors. However, minn kota doesn't offer 54 inches shaft on their 80lbs 24 volts i pilot link. I pilot link on 54 inches shaft only comes in 12 volts 55lbs if thrust.

I'll be only fishing on calm weather. Will the 55lbs thrust be enough on my boat? Thanks in advance for all the inputs.

James

T.R. Bauer

City/Region: Wasilla
State or Province: AK
C-Dory Year: 1993
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: C-Whisperer
PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2021 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes.
DayBreak

City/Region: Monmouth, Or.
State or Province: OR
C-Dory Year: 2018
C-Dory Model: 23 Venture
Vessel Name: DayBreak
Photos: DayBreak
PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2021 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

James,

Our other boat is a Smoker Craft 162 Pro Tracer. It weights about 175 lbs. more than a C-Dory 16 (1025 lbs. vs. 850 lbs.) and has a 10 deg. deadrise at the transom.

We are using a Minn Kota Endura C2 trolling motor (55 lb. thrust) at the transom that we are satisfied with for fishing.

Next week we plan on taking it out in the bay. We will test it at full throttle and see how fast it will pushes the boat at slack tide. A 55 lb. thrust motor should push yours a little bit faster with the number we find out next week. We will let you know.

Last edited by DayBreak on Sat Feb 06, 2021 9:28 pm; edited 4 times in total
iyaman

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2021 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you guys. Appreciate it.
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2021 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the 80 Lb thrust 24 volt motor on my 18' Caracal Cat--heavier than the C Dory16, and it will pull the boat at about 3 knots. I would think the 55 would be fine--I used one on a 15' aluminum skiff--my only concern is windage of the cabin of the 16, Most days the 55 should be fine.
Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
iyaman

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2021 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="DayBreak"]James,

My other boat is a Smoker Craft 162 Pro Tracer. It weights about 175 lbs. more than a C-Dory 16 and has a 10 deg. deadrise at the transom.

Thank you Gary. Please let me know.
iyaman

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2021 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thataway wrote:
I have the 80 Lb thrust 24 volt motor on my 18' Caracal Cat--heavier than the C Dory16, and it will pull the boat at about 3 knots. I would think the 55 would be fine--I used one on a 15' aluminum skiff--my only concern is windage of the cabin of the 16, Most days the 55 should be fine.

Appreciate the input Bob. Thank you.
Robert H. Wilkinson

City/Region: Port Ryerse
State or Province: ON
Vessel Name: Romakeme IV
Photos: Romakeme IV
PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2021 11:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a 36pd. bow mount on my fishing boat(16'Thundercraft) it pulls fast enough on calm water for me. Fighting chop on Lake Erie though not much good.

Pic here - http://www.c-brats.com/modules.php?set_albumName=album2937&id=IMG_2608&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_photo.php

Rob

robhwa

City/Region: Anderson Island
C-Dory Year: 2003
Vessel Name: Marcia C
Photos: Problemadela
PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2021 1:16 am    Post subject: Re: 55 lbs trolling motor Reply with quote

iyaman wrote:
I have a 16 cruiser. Because of the way I fish, i really need an electric trolling motor with spot lock. Due to the limited bow space, i think the longest shaft i can mount would be a 54 inches. I will soon put a humminbird FF and it will only link to ipilot link with minn kota trolling motors. However, minn kota doesn't offer 54 inches shaft on their 80lbs 24 volts i pilot link. I pilot link on 54 inches shaft only comes in 12 volts 55lbs if thrust.

I'll be only fishing on calm weather. Will the 55lbs thrust be enough on my boat? Thanks in advance for all the input

James

James; I have an 80 lb 54 inch Minnkota Terrova with IPilot Link. I'm not sure why you say they aren't available. I see one in the Minnkota store, used, at a good price. Mine definitely has Spot-Lock. It just barely fits on the bow at an angle on my CD22. You can see in the images below. It'll push the boat about 3.5 mph at max, and when I also use the 80 lb mounted on the antiventillation plate of the motor at max with it, about 4.5 mph. Not hull speed, but perfect for trolling, and holding in place against current, wind, or tide.

If you plan to use as an alternative to a kicker, I'd suggest the 80 lb. It should push your CD16 at least 3.5 mph. I have a 55, and it just didn't work well for the CD22.

This is a truly fantastic motor so far.

iyaman

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2021 2:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Double post

Last edited by iyaman on Sun Feb 07, 2021 2:41 am; edited 1 time in total
iyaman

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2021 2:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rob, pm sent. Thank you.

I just look at minnkota website. 24volts 54 inches comes only with ipilot gps but not ipilot link gps.
iyaman

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2021 3:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Robert H. Wilkinson wrote:
I have a 36pd. bow mount on my fishing boat(16'Thundercraft) it pulls fast enough on calm water for me. Fighting chop on Lake Erie though not much good.

Pic here - http://www.c-brats.com/modules.php?set_albumName=album2937&id=IMG_2608&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_photo.php

Rob

Thank you. That FJ land cruiser, time to do a restore project lol
robhwa

City/Region: Anderson Island
C-Dory Year: 2003
Vessel Name: Marcia C
Photos: Problemadela
PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2021 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

iyaman wrote:
Rob, pm sent. Thank you.

I just look at minnkota website. 24volts 54 inches comes only with ipilot gps but not ipilot link gps.

I stand corrected. I typed in "Minn kova 80 lb 54 inch Terrova" to search. I guess I confused the ipilot bluetooth with the ipilot link.

Yes, I do have an 80 lb 54 inch shaft (nominal) Terrova Riptide (saltwater) with the square ipilot link remote. The physical shaft is actually 56.5 in to handle the lifting mechanism, which is nice, but adds to the overall length and blocks dropping the motor the full length of the shaft. This does NOT help it to fit on the CD22, but it does just barely with no overhang.

Yes, I did have a 55 lb 54 inch shaft Minn kota Powerdrive mounted initially on the bow of my CD22. It came from my father's crabbing boat, an 18 ft, heavier-than-CD22 with very low gunnels, some "V" in the hull, flat deck, center console and 8.5 ft width. Very stable. Nice for crabbing the Chesapeake Bay, cold and wet in the PNW. Though this motor is not a saltwater model, it was used almost exclusively, and quite a lot, in brackish water, always rinsed afterward. It has a little surface corrosion on the motor housing, but has held up well.

I found the 55 lb to be inadequate in holding a course or keeping the bow pointed when strong wind came from an angle from the stern. It could keep pointed into the wind better. Mostly, the 55 lb was fine. My caution about the 55 for this reason. Your boat is also smaller and 55 lb may be all you need, but it does have the "sail" like the CD22.

It should pull fine in good conditions. It is an amazing motor with spotlock, and "remembering" a course you previously did. For instance, when I had a slip here, I could enter inner Oro Bay, and click a previous route to navigate directly to my slip. It would guide right in. I did need to adjust the speed to keep steerage through the boats but not ram the dock. Cool. I think a bow-mounted motor is much better than a bow or stern thruster.

I also use the motor, with a generator and charger, as an alternative to the 9.9 hp Honda kicker that used to hang on the stern. I didn't like so much weight on the stern for something I never used. I troll with the electric motors also.
T.R. Bauer

City/Region: Wasilla
State or Province: AK
C-Dory Year: 1993
Vessel Name: C-Whisperer
PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2021 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use a crappy 30 year old MK motor on my 16 foot Crestliner skiff all the time and it does fine - until the wind comes up and wrecks everything. And it's not really the motor doesn't push the boat well enough - you can hold your course, but it takes power to do that. And then, well you're going too fast now to be productive and may as well just start up the main and motor on back because the fishing is done for anyway. I don't think mine is anyway near a 55 pound model and it really does move the boat perfectly for trolling for trout on nice days. I really like how quiet that electric trolling motors are in comparison to gas.
iyaman

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2021 10:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you all gentlemen for the inputs. I ordered the Minn Kota 12 volts 55 lbs of thrust. It is however backordered and hope to receive it before end of the month. I'll let you guys know how it works.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> General Technical Discussions All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: