View previous topic :: View next topic  
colbysmith

City/Region: Madison
State or Province: WI
C-Dory Year: 2009
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: C-Traveler
Photos: C-Traveler and Midnight-Flyer
PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2021 10:02 pm    Post subject: Cumberland Island National Seashore Reply with quote

As I mentioned in the Hontoon gathering thread, I think we are going to spend our allotted vacation time cruising on the St. Johns River, staying somewhat more isolated. Thoughts at this time are to still launch at Ed Stone, simply because of my familiarity with it, and how it's worked out so well in the past. (And it's free!) Then from there maybe heading north towards Jacksonville, then on up the Intercoastal to the St. Mary's River and out to the Cumberland Island National Seashore. Has anyone done this before and have any advice? We'll have a total of about 19-20 days on the water. Just did some distance figuring on my charts, and looks like it would be very doable from Ed Stone, with some times in the Springs and some nice anchorages along the way. I'd plan on displacement speeds and no more than 30 miles a day. First stop and last stop could be at Silver Glen Springs. One night at 7 sisters Islands. And then anywhere else that is a good anchorage. Perhaps a few marinas.
Blue Rose

City/Region: Montgomery
State or Province: MN
C-Dory Year: 2006
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Blue Rose
Photos: Blue Rose
PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2021 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Colby-
In 2016 we left our truck/trailer at Ed Stone and cruised to Jacksonville and Cumberland Island. It was a nice cruise and we enjoyed Cumberland Island. Walking trails, plantation tours, horses etc... It's on our "go back to" list.

We left reviews on Active Captain for places in that area I recommend. Using the search tool on the AC map page should direct you to where the anchorage markers with our reviews. (Let me know if that doesn't work and I could email you links)

Search for: Blue Rose Cove, Fort George River, Amelia Island Marina, Oasis Marina at Fernandina Beach, Cumberland Sound, and Plum Orchard

Because of 2016 Hurricane Matthew damages and Covids, I would check to ahead see what is open and operating.

FYI- Except for St. Augustine, there isn't as much to do/see south of Jacksonville, but instead of re-boating the St. Johns back to Ed Stone, we followed the ICW south to Daytona Beach and rented a car to retrieve the truck/trailer.
Jim

gulfcoast john

City/Region: PENSACOLA
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2010
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: Cat O' Mine
Photos: CAT O' MINE
PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2021 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Colby,

Agree it’s a beautiful National Seashore. However, it’s not very friendly to private boaters with very little dockage and dinghy dockage that fills up with locals early. You can’t dock at the Ferry dock for the campground or the dock for Greyfield Inn. Tomorrow’s tidal range at Beach Creek is over 6 vertical feet (often over 10), and there’s a lot of current, mud, wakes and oyster shells.

We cruised from JAX NAS marina to Myrtle Beach via the ICW in June 2019 and Enterprised back to pick up the rig. Fernandina Marina has finally reopened; there are some wakes and train noise right by a switch yard.

https://www.fernandinaharbormarina.com/

Amelia Island marina is nice but has a shallow complex entrance. Only one train track.

https://ameliaislandmarina.com/

We love the southern St John, but north of Palatka to JAX it gets really wide, industrial and less interesting. There are some manatee zones near the downtown area and big commercial shipping areas. The ICW goes right by the Kings Bay Naval Sub base near mile 708. We were delayed over an hour while a nuclear ‘Naval Asset’ came in.

AGLCA loopers have complained about no security at the Coliseum marina and strangers walking on their boats, I would be reluctant to stay there. The downtown riverfront dockage never came back well after Hurricane IForgetWhich.

We suggest Plan B:
Get a Sunpass and a reservation at Faro Blanco Marina, trailer down to Marathon, launch at the ramp at 33rd St.

https://www.faroblancoresort.com/

Use the message function at that page and dockmaster will get back to you.

Measure trailer L and W and call Briers trailers for a rig storage quote. Secure, and they live on the property.

https://www.briersoutsidestorage.com/

Faro Blanco has a heated pool for the marina and another for the hotel. Putter from one key and marina pool to the next, up to anchoring out at Elliott Key, Biscayne Bay and back down to Key West. Beautiful turquoise water and mangroves. We just left Marathon early in order to get Covid vaccine #2 tomorrow in Pensacola. Then we’ll do some boat prep and trailer down to Ft Meyers for a Southwest FL/Thousand Islands/Everglades/Keys Adventure prior to the Hontoon Hoot. ‘Boat prep’ means ensuring that, as always, my boat is shinier than yours. Silicone is cheating, in so many ways.

Come on down! It’s a lot warmer and sunnier!

https://weather.com/weather/tenday/l/18b370aeb22212062b1eb7b5f85d88b60c4c04345d1e69e9665aba1af493ef92

At least ask Rosanne which Plan she prefers...

John

WeekiTiki

City/Region: Weeki Wachee
C-Dory Year: 2003
Vessel Name: Just Cruisin'
Photos: WeekiTiki
PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2021 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WeekiTiki

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2021 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

colbysmith

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2021 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Jim, John and Weeki Teki. Cool photos of the horses. John, what about anchorages? We did a few years ago do a cruise up to Jacksonville with C-Otter. I forget the name of the marina we used downtown, but we had no problems. Not much to do right there, but it was a good place to just park for the night. I don't remember if it cost anything either, but I believe we had electric. Maybe there was a drop box on the honor system. (If so, we did pay.) Mystery Girl, with Mike Moser riding along, and us went on out a little farther to where the St. John's dumped into the Atlantic. Mostly industrial, but still some cool sites. After Palatka the river did get wider, and a bit choppy with rain. There are some nice anchorages along the way, that we'd be fine to hit again on the way back. I thought about going to St. Augustine Jim, and we might still do that. A lot just depends on the weather and our mood. I'll have to look up all that information you guys have shared with us. John, the Keys are not out of our picture, but don't think it's the right time for us this year. I suspect part of the allure of the Keys, would be to be able to check out the local establishments as well, and Covid puts a damper on that. But again, flexibility is our key, and who knows where we'll end up. Bottom line is we know when we have to put the boat back on the trailer and start heading home. Colby
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
C-Dory Year: 2007
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2021 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with John about the Northern St John's. We did stay at the Coliseum Marina--no problems no vagrants. But we were advised not to walk ti the supermarket. We took the ferry boat to "down Town"--very depressed. I believe it will eventually be torn down and rebuilt.

There is a very strong current in the Jacksonville Coliseum Marina. Also water was not on at all of the mooring places. The plus side--no one came to collect fees.

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
WeekiTiki

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2021 10:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't know about marinas but...

This is a designated camp spot on North Cumberland Island

WeekiTiki

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2021 10:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This site is way north on the island, hikers would have to walk for probably fifteen miles to get there; can't miss the eroded tree as a marker

colbysmith

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2021 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some more nice pictures. Thanks. John, I know you guys prefer the marinas, but what are your thoughts on anchorages in the Cumberland NS area? Jim, I still haven't searched and reviewed your suggestions. I'll work on that this weekend. My thoughts for what I know about Ed Stone up to Jacksonville. As I mentioned, we did that with a group with C-Otter a few years back as an after cruise. So I'm somewhat familiar with that part of the St. John's River. Although it was only one trip up and back, and not much side exploring. Once we got to the marina there in Jacksonville, Mystery Girl and Midnight Flyer took a day to explore the river out to the Atlantic. I turned around at the first buoy and Bill went out a little farther. Some interesting industry and military in that small section of river. I think we also found out on one alternate side routing, there was some major highway bridges we couldn't fit under, so had to turn around and go back the way we initially came! Distance wise, Tully B and I ran back to Hontoon in one day, but we ran fast the entire way. So if short on time after getting up there, I know I can get back to Ed Stone in a day from Jacksonville. A lot still depends on the weather and our mood after we launch. How is the Intercoastal Waterway from the turn off the St. Johns into the Cumberland area? Are there preferred channels around the National Seashore? Any warnings of where not to go?
PaulNBriannaLynn

City/Region: Fort White
C-Dory Year: 2007
Vessel Name: TBD
Photos: Lorelei
PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2021 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We've been planning a trip to Cumberland for years, but have yet to actually do it. We have cruised most of the Georgia coast in the 4 years we lived there. One deterrent for us this time of year is if the temperatures are anywhere between 60 degrees and 80 degrees, the sand gnats will eat you alive anywhere along the GA coast. On the plus side the tiger mosquitos and biting yellow flies wont be out as bad until April when they start hatching.

Our plan is, when we actually go... is to cruise up the St Mary's River on the south end of the island and anchor at high tide, near Dungeness ruins, and use our paddleboards to access the island.

We'll be waiting until after the yellow fly season, and after the sand gnats have started hibernating for the summer so likely not until at least mid May for that to happen.

colbysmith

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2021 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, that's good to know.... We're looking at the first three weeks of March. If they are bad, we may not stay in the area long. We do plan on taking our Kayaks as well with us.
hardee

City/Region: Sequim
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: Sleepy-C
Photos: SleepyC
PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2021 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

YUK, ___ BUGS Twisted Evil I never think about bugs up here. So, is there a time when there aren't bugs? Seems like there would be bugs from Spring to Frost. Am I gong to be eaten alive in Sept, Oct or Nov.

Otherwise, sure sounds like an interesting area, maybe even add a couple of horsepower at times, if needed Cool

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

colbysmith

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2021 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
UK, ___ BUGS Twisted Evil I never think about bugs up here. So, is there a time when there aren't bugs? Seems like there would be bugs from Spring to Frost. Am I gong to be eaten alive in Sept, Oct or Nov.

You sound like my wife now. Mr. Green Yep, there are bugs. They actually haven't been bad on the St. John's River in early March, but Tom keeps telling me we don't want to do it later as the bugs are bad. Around here evenings can be terrible almost all year, except when we start getting cold. (Like now. Only going to be in the single digits above zero, and double digits below zero in windchill. Bugs can't handle that. Then again, I'm hating it the older I get too!) I don't remember them being bad up at Isle Royal. But the Black flies can be terrible in the Apostles and some other places during the summer. You just learn to keep windows and screens closed when they start coming out. Mosquitos are really bad at dusk. And fall can see some real nasty Mayfly issues. (Like wake up in the morning with a boat completely covered in them.) Colby
WeekiTiki

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2021 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We were there the week prior to Memorial Day

Don't remember any bugs but...

the flocks of waterfowl flying over were magnificent

And oh, my wife says that the highlight of that trip was having Greg Kinnear join us there at the St. Mary's Seafood. Although he would not own up to his real identity. He tried the fried okra off her plate and then ordered some his self. Servers used to remember us, guess we need to go back; freezer is nearly empty of shrimp we procure a couple of hours drive north.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: