The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Fan install

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Electrical and Wiring
View previous topic :: View next topic  
thechadmiller

City/Region: Portland
State or Province: OR
C-Dory Year: 2017
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Agostino
Photos: Agostino
PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2021 6:01 pm    Post subject: Fan install Reply with quote

Hey folks. Trying to fight the battle of PNW foggy windows and was thinking of installing 2 fans to blow on the windows.

I know absolutely nothing about electrical really, how hard is it to wire these? Is there any write-up somewhere with a dummy style guide?

Thanks in advance. And if you are keen on one fan over another, feel free to let me know.

Thanks
Chad
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2021 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 12 volt Bible for Boats Is the guide to all things 12 volts DC around the boat.

I would also invest in a decent 12 volt digital volt, resistance, current meter and learn how to use it now. There are decent ones for int. he $40 range at Home Depot or Lowes. It will save you some time in the future diagnosing electrical problems. It should be part of the basic electrical kit kept aboard. Along with this would be a good set of ratchet crimpers, quality butt and ring connectors (Marine grade, with shrink wrap adhesive), adhesive shrink wrap tubing, and a stripper (marine non human) wire type.

Here is a good web site on crimpers, terminals etc. I don't agree with all that is on that site, but it is a good start. I use only quality ratchet crimpers, not the simple single lever. I don't use the automatic type of wire stripper--I prefer a very simple one, or even a light knife cut around the wire insulation and then pull it off with the knife rising lightly agaist the wire.

Always use tinned standee AWG marine wire--not automotive SAE wire.

The fan will come with two leads one will be positive (either marked + on the wire, or it will have a color guide in the instructions. The red is usually positive and the black (or yellow) is negative.

You want to put this on a fused circuit with a switch. You can add a toggle switch or use a switch which is not being used at this time.

You will tap into the 12 volts coming to the console at the main bus bar behind the helm. Most likely there will be a Blue Seas Fuse box, and hopefully an open slot with nothing hooked up. You may have to add a second switch panel, or a second fuse box. I usually change out the 6 fuse box, with a 12 fuse box when I buy a c Dory since I always add electrical circuits.

The fan may be of several types. My boat has two types. One is a 12 volt heated squirrel cage blower just under the helm windshield (starboard side). I also have two Caframo "Bora" fans mounted from the overhead, which can be directed anywhere in the cabin including toward the windshield. Both are offset from the centerline, can be pointed toward the windshield forward. Some use the cageless fans.

Here is the catalogue page for marine Caframo fans, including the "fairview" heater blower toward the bottom of the page.

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
hardee

City/Region: Sequim
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: Sleepy-C
Photos: SleepyC
PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2021 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HI Chad, Yup, sometimes those window do get foggy. I can't help much with the wiring, but What I know of mine, is that it is on the same master switch as my Nav Instruments, and the switch is on the fan itself. My fan will oscillate or maintain a static position. I use both, depending on the window fog density or position. It is pretty much up out of the way, and is effective for all three front windows running at one of the 3 speeds. I have no idea where it came from, it came from, it was all there when I got the boat.

Best in your search,

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

Fan can be seen between the left and center radios at the top of the pix

Pacificcoast101

City/Region: Torrance
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 2008
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: No Pressure
Photos: No Pressure
PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2021 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I mounted a set of fans on the dashboard in front of the passenger window. You can turn them to any position, including toward the glass. They are only $14.99 from Amazon and have worked great for over four years.

https://smile.amazon.com/Electric-Rotatable-Cooling-Circulator-Vehicles/dp/B08BZDPJKH/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?dchild=1&keywords=Dual+Heads+Car+Fan+12V&qid=1612227837&s=electronics&sr=1-1-spons&psc=1&spLa=ZW5jcnlwdGVkUXVhbGlmaWVyPUExUTM5R0daM0dMVkhDJmVuY3J5cHRlZElkPUEwMTUxMjM4MjJMMlZZVVdBVUFUUCZlbmNyeXB0ZWRBZElkPUEwNjY5NzY3MkRZTUtDTFNEMzhKUSZ3aWRnZXROYW1lPXNwX2F0ZiZhY3Rpb249Y2xpY2tSZWRpcmVjdCZkb05vdExvZ0NsaWNrPXRydWU=

Southern California Marine Life
https://www.flickr.com/photos/southern_california_marine_life/albums

My Photos
https://www.alamy.com/stock-photo/?pseudoid=%7bAC42A235-FD0A-464A-B559-1CC5843C95FB%7d&name=Phil+Garner&st=11&mode=0&comp=1
kcohen4

City/Region: WILLIAMSBURG
State or Province: VA
C-Dory Year: 2004
C-Dory Model: 16 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Annie M.
Photos: Annie M
PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2021 8:18 pm    Post subject: simple solution for a fan Reply with quote

I wanted one for both the windshield and for myself on hot days. Thought about permanently mounting one and wiring it in. Then came across on Amazon a clip on with a pretty good size battery. Say it can run continuously for a long time on a charge. Can also be plugged in to the 12v plug for a recharge.
OPOLAR 10000mAh 8-Inch Rechargeable Battery Operated Clip on Fan, 4 Speeds $39.99
amazon.com/gp/product/B07L4GLJZD/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I think this might be a simple solution. Can also charge a phone. No wiring and can take it with me for other uses.

1982 CC Landfall 38
1979 Catalina 27
robhwa

City/Region: Anderson Island
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2003
Vessel Name: Marcia C
Photos: Problemadela
PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2021 9:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Fan install Reply with quote

thechadmiller wrote:
Hey folks. Trying to fight the battle of PNW foggy windows ...

Another way to fight PNW foggy cabins.

Foggy PNW windows are caused by water in cabin air having higher total humidity than the temperature of air at the windows can hold. Blowing air on them can help temporarily by heating the inside of the windows, but only blows the humidity itself around. Heating air in your cabin without exchanging cabin with outside air only reduces relative humidity, not total, and only temporarily. When that air cools, water can condense from it.

What you need is to either remove humidity (I use a 12 volt dehumidifier), or bring in some outside air, which will typically have a low total humidity, and thus, when heated, a much lower relative humidity. For instance, if you bring in outside air at 40 F, 100% relative humidity and heat it to 60 F, the relative humidity will be about 50%. This will mix with and dry humid cabin air.

Then, at the very least, that fan will do a better job of clearing your windows.

Many folks try and seal up their cabin when it fogs. That doesn't work, as we are constantly adding water to the air by breathing, perspiring, and sometimes cooking. LP heaters (i.e. "Buddy" heaters) that don't exhaust to the outside also add water as a combustion product. The Wallas heater is better, as it takes in cabin air for combustion, and then exhausts it outside. Outside air comes in to replace it, and when heated, dries your cabin because it will likely have lower total humidity (NOT relative humidity).
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Electrical and Wiring All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: