The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Did I Screw Up? And How Do I Fix It?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> General Technical Discussions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hunkydory

City/Region: Cokeville, Wyoming
State or Province: WY
C-Dory Year: 2000
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Hunkydory
Photos: Hunkydory-Jay-and-Jolee
PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2021 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pat, I can’t help you with the frozen steering though the suggestions offered should. The times my old ram system froze up it was due to the design allowing salt water into the movable shaft housing. Replacing to a new different ram solved that. With the Baystar helm pump, I have had the seal fail from over filling the reservoir & have leanrned like others mentioned not to fill to the top. The Seastar may be different as I’ve seen YouTube videos with them topping the Seastar right to the top.

Jay

thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2021 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One thing to be aware of is that you can score or damage the ram arms. These need to be checked very carefully when you replace the seals. If there is any damage or scoring of the arms, it will pay to just replace the whole ram as above.
Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
T.R. Bauer

City/Region: Wasilla
State or Province: AK
C-Dory Year: 1993
Vessel Name: C-Whisperer
PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2021 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll just keep changing the seals. It's really not that hard now that I have all the tools to do it. Mine is more like a very slow weep at this point and they are on year 4 or 5 - that's around 500 hours. If it gets worse, I'll be doing it. And, it's going to get worse.....lol....I just hope I'm smart enough to choose to do it on a rainy day and not be forced to do it on the nicest day of the year, which is probably when it will fail knowing my own dumb luck. How much does that 1 man bleed kit cost? I didn't come across it.
chromer

City/Region: Anacortes
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2006
C-Dory Model: 19 Angler
Photos: Checkpoint II
PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2021 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the 14 years of my C-dory, I had one seal kit installed. Last summer I had a new ram installed and helm seals replaced.

Checkpoint II (SOLD 10/2020)
Alure Bertram 28
drbridge

City/Region: Sequim
C-Dory Year: 2004
Vessel Name: Susan Marie
Photos: Susan Marie
PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2021 11:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

T.R. Bauer wrote:
I'll just keep changing the seals. It's really not that hard now that I have all the tools to do it. Mine is more like a very slow weep at this point and they are on year 4 or 5 - that's around 500 hours. If it gets worse, I'll be doing it. And, it's going to get worse.....lol....I just hope I'm smart enough to choose to do it on a rainy day and not be forced to do it on the nicest day of the year, which is probably when it will fail knowing my own dumb luck. How much does that 1 man bleed kit cost? I didn't come across it.

This is all you need to do it
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08MV6NJTP/ref=ox_sc_act_title_2?smid=A3GX2P3FEBRWS4&psc=1

This can be used to make hooking up the fluid to the helm a little cleaner and more convenient, but you can get the job done with out it
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07SF6TPD9/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=A3GX2P3FEBRWS4&psc=1

The same items can be purchased from the marine tech site. They make some other nice tools.

drbridge

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2021 11:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some of you guys got me thinking about the fill level on the helm and what type of cap should be used on a baystar helm, so I called the teleflex tech support and asked them about it. They said on the baystar helm with balanced ram you can use either a vented or nonvented cap. It makes no difference as to how the system will work and both caps come with the kit. They don't recommend using the vented cap on boats with the helm exposed to the weather and washing as they see contamination to the fluid in these situations. Not an issue with a C-Dory so you can use either or it makes no difference. Ours has the vented cap on it.
The fill level is recommended to be from the bottom of the threads of the fill hole to 1/4" below the fill hole. However he said that it will not hurt anything to have it filled to the top. The only problem it can cause is that on a hot day it can puch out a little fluid if you have the vented cap or when you open it up. It will cause no harm to the system or the seals. If the level gets too low it can introduce air in to the lines and steering ram. I have had ours filled to the top and have had no problems with fluid seeping out the vented cap during the year it has been installed and 140 hours of use. It does not get that terribly hot where we live.
Their tech line can be reached at
six zero four-two four eight-three eight five eight
Hunkydory

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2021 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From the techs mouth, but not always right in the application world. I have used the Baystar helm for 15 years & replaced it once 5 years ago.. Started with the venting cap & it would always vent fluid out & make a mess if filled to the top. Switched to the non venting cap about 5 years ago, filled to the top with more messes & blown helm seal. Now using the non vent cap & fill just below the top, then with the cap off, I turn the steering wheel slowly lock to lock, twice with a rag handy to catch the overflow that comes out. That process brings the level down about to about 3/8 to a 1/2 inch from the top with all good there after, until a leak or system change starts the process over.
To each there own, this works for me.

My blown seal with a non vented cap may have just been a coincidence with me not wanting to take a chance of repeating the seal change, but the overflowing if filled to the top with a vented cap is not.

Jay
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2021 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My experience is the same as Jay's. There is a pressure rises and fluid rise in the pump chamber as you turn the helm. If the pump is full, it will burp out.

I also agree that it is more likely to blow the helm seals if too much pressure. I have rebuilt 2 helms, but this ram is the first one I have had to rebuild. Experience is about 17 years of use of these helms. There are other hydraulic helms which require a pressurized system with a reservoir . They are entirely different animals. I have also owned those type of systems. Our systems use relatively low pressure in comparison to some of the much larger boats.
drbridge

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2021 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is no substitute for experience, and I come here to learn. My first line of attack is always to do things by the book, and that usually works. Although I have not had any problems with any fluid seeping out of the vented cap, I think I will keep the level a little lower as even the Tech said that is acceptable and has worked from experience. I will also check it often to make sure it stays at that level.
I also have to wonder about what differences there are in the helms they are making now and the ones they were making 10 or 15 years ago. They do have different numbers on them. The one that came on our 2004 boat was not leaking when I replaced it and it had relatively low hours on it. By installing the entire kit at least I know that everything is new and that it all is compatible.

Thanks guys
BBlalock

City/Region: Ocean/ICW
State or Province: NC
C-Dory Year: 2013
Vessel Name: Finale
PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2021 11:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I went to the website and I see where it says not for auto pilot assisted systems. Does that sound right to you?
Benton

Hunkydory

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2021 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

drbridge wrote:
Watch this video on filling and bleeding your hydraulic steering. I installed a brand new Baystar system in our boat and used this system and it was awesome. I was able to fill and bleed it by myself with no problem and did not spill or waste a drop of fluid. My new system came with 2 quarts of that expensive fluid, and I was able to fill the entire system with only one quart since there is no waste. I never cracked the lid on the second quart.
The instructions on my system said to fill it to the top. there should be no air in it when you are done. I keep this bleed kit in my boat now, as it takes up little room. If I or someone I know is haveing a problem I can bleed it myself very easily.
If your steering is locked up now it should free up if you crack the bleed valves on your steering ram.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0_EqQmSrHeQ

Doug I watched the video & was impressed, so have ordered it, but now Benton’s comment about possibly not working with an auto pilot in the system has me concerned. It worked for you, so do you have an auto pilot.
Hunkydory

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2021 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just got off the phone with the guy, that did the video & sells the Bubble Purge system. The old one they sold, the Bubble G2 will not work well with an auto pilot, but either the Bubble Purge Pro SC for single cylinder rams & the Bubble Purge Pro DC for double rams will work with an auto pilot. He also explained to me how to quickly purge the system by adding new fluid at the same time, while using the Bubble Pro systems. A great guy to talk to with clear explanations.

Jay
drbridge

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2021 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We have auto pilot and had no problem using the marine tech version that I posted earlier from amazon. I'm sure the guy knows what he is talking about concerning his product. You would want to make sure that the tubing was securely fastened to the fittings because the pump will send a lot of fluid fast and maybe that is the difference.
The whole concept of this system is a good way to go in my opinion. It allows you to get the job done with no help and sometimes good help is hard to find. Let us know what the process is for the purge and how it works for you.
BBlalock

City/Region: Ocean/ICW
State or Province: NC
C-Dory Year: 2013
Vessel Name: Finale
PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2021 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guys thanks for the information. I will be ordering the Pro. Also saw the short tube is used with filling the motor lift. That makes it a twofer.
Benton CoolSmile
colbysmith

City/Region: Madison
State or Province: WI
C-Dory Year: 2009
Vessel Name: C-Traveler
Photos: C-Traveler and Midnight-Flyer
PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2021 11:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I just got off the phone with the guy, that did the video & sells the Bubble Purge system. The old one they sold, the Bubble G2 will not work well with an auto pilot, but either the Bubble Purge Pro SC for single cylinder rams & the Bubble Purge Pro DC for double rams will work with an auto pilot. He also explained to me how to quickly purge the system by adding new fluid at the same time, while using the Bubble Pro systems. A great guy to talk to with clear explanations.

Jay, after reading these posts, I decided to order the Pro SC. I've had to re-bleed my system enough times in the past, I could have used it earlier. Hope it works just as good as SeaStar's $900 system. I think I've actually been able to purge all the air out the old fashioned manual way, but gone thru a lot of fluid in the process. At least I'm use the Aeroshell at $32/gal with shipping & tax, so it's not quite as expensive as if I were using the SeaStar stuff. I'm hoping there will be enough line at 20' that I won't need to also order the extra length. I think what I'll really like about this system, is it looks like it's a lot cleaner...not so much opportunity for spills, especially at the helm with the pin hole in the bottle.
Also, good luck with your Raymarine EV150. I had the 100, and was not at all impressed with it. I ended up going with Garmin's expensive Reactor and smart pump. Much better. Colby
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> General Technical Discussions All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: