The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

How Far Did You Travel To Buy Your C-Dory?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hunkydory

City/Region: Cokeville, Wyoming
State or Province: WY
C-Dory Year: 2000
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Hunkydory
Photos: Hunkydory-Jay-and-Jolee
PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2021 12:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Two trips from Cokeville, Wyoming to Vancouver, Canada. First in Dec 2002, when upon arriving there, the owners bank told the seller not to accept our cashiers check. So back again in Jan 2003 with pre transfer of funds to an account set up in our name at the sellers bank. Our tow vehicle was a Astro Van & the motor blew on it between Ellenberg & Pasco, Washington coming back home, so ended up buying a new pickup in Pasco, Washington to tow it the rest of the way. Arrived home with the temperature -13 F in near blizzard conditions with the roads from Pocatello, Idaho to Cokevile, Wyoming snow & ice covered. Total miles driven about 4300 & those miles just starting the now over 80,000 more towing road miles & many more thousand adventure miles on the water from then to now. We had waited 21 years between seeing our first C-Dory with us agreeing we would own one some day to the road trip bringing it home.
Dubuque chad

City/Region: Dubuque
State or Province: IA
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Laura J
PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2021 12:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got tired of lurking here for six years. Decided to visit Marc at weffings. Looked at 3 Dorys 2 Rosbouroghs.
Dubuque to apalachcola had it shipped back re named the rambler, Laura J.
Would love to talk to anyone familiar with the provenance of the boat.
SENSEI

City/Region: Stanwood
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 1995
C-Dory Model: 22 Angler
Vessel Name: SENSEI
Photos: SENSEI and SERENITY
PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2021 2:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I drove from Bellingham WA to Edmonton Alberta , Canada
Going thru the boarder at Eastport Idaho was an experience. I don't know if they had never seen a C-Dory but I was detained for about 1 12 hours. Cars kept driving in and would get out and inspect the boat. After about 20 minutes of no one new driving in they gave my papers and thanked me for an interesting time and lots of approval of the boat.

1993 22 Cruiser (sold 2014)
1995 22 Angler (acquired 2016)
1983 22 Classic (sold 2017)
SENSEI

City/Region: Stanwood
C-Dory Year: 1995
C-Dory Model: 22 Angler
Vessel Name: SENSEI
Photos: SENSEI and SERENITY
PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2021 2:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I sold the 25 we did a trade for a 23 Cruiser down in Southern California. We decided to meet at Grant's Pass Oregon and make the swap
drbridge

City/Region: Sequim
C-Dory Year: 2004
Vessel Name: Susan Marie
Photos: Susan Marie
PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2021 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You guys are making me feel bad. I drove a half hour down the road to buy our 22 Cruiser formerly known as "DANAG".
In the spring Susan and I had been discussing getting a C-Dory and had come to the conclusion that we would get our ducks all lined up and start looking for one in the fall. two days later I see the Danag on craigslist.
It had all the bells and whistles already on it. Always stored indoors with only 110 hours on it, and just a half hour down the road.
I showed the add to Susan and sighed because it was a bit more than we were planning to spend. The next day she says ""Are you going to go look at that C-Dory." I sad I didn't know if we were ready yet. Then she said "Well you better go look at it before somebody else buys it"
I took that for permission to buy it, so I went straight there and and bought it. We have never regretted it once, and I named the boat after my lovely wife for all her cooperation in the matter.

Sunflower

City/Region: Maple Hill
State or Province: KS
C-Dory Year: 2006
Vessel Name: Dragonfly
PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2021 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

First time poster. I would like to thank everyone for all the knowledge shared on this site.We traveled 1273 miles one way. From Maple Hill Kansas to Waretown New Jersey. We bought our 2006 22 previously Happy Ours off EBay. It had some fiberglass damage to the cabin roof looked like a tree limb had fallen on it. We got the fiberglass repaired. I straightened the grab rail. Then started on maintenance items. Removed fuel tanks and cleeaned,change oil on Suzuki df 90 also changed out plug on exhaust a problem this outboard was know to have. This boat came with a newer aluminum trailer but the bunks did not fit the boat right, repaired those where they fit the bottom of the boat. This winter I’am sanding the bottom to redo the bottom paint. Have only had the boat out on local lakes so far. I hope to have boat ready to go to Yellowstone this summer. My wife and I both retired last fall. This is all kind of new to us.
krc

City/Region: SF Bay Area
State or Province: CA
Photos: krc
PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2021 2:09 pm    Post subject: SF Bay Area Reply with quote

I found the boat in the bay area posted on the c-brat website. Since it was local, I went to take a look. For me, the advantage of the cd25 is the interior cabin height is 6'8" or so. I am 6'5" and I really dislike boats where I have to stoop the entire time in the cabin. That is a real differentiator from the c-dory25 vs most other boats in that size range.
I had an Albin 36 express trawler previously, and was constantly bumping my head on the top.
smckean (Tosca)

City/Region: Guemes Island (Anacortes)
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: Tosca
Photos: Tosca
PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2021 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I suspect I will set a record here! No, not for the longest trip, but for the shortest trip. I drove 1/2 mile.

I was looking to buy a small cruiser with a hard cabin. I was looking a Seasport, C-Dory, and a couple of other brands. One day my wife and I took a walk here on Guemes Island (located directly north of the city of Anacortes, WA). We had taken many walks on our island, but this time we took a loop in the opposite direction as we normally did. Going this direction allowed me to see inside a carport of a house about 1/2 mile from our house. The opening to this carport was not seen when walking the other way. I spied a boat with a "For Sale" sign on it. I walked up to it......OMG, it's a C-Dory! 3 days later I bought the boat. David still lives there, and I still live here Wink .

hardee

City/Region: Sequim
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: Sleepy-C
Photos: SleepyC
PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2021 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

After lurking here for about a year, I finally signed in, and started asking questions, and looking at boats for sale. I too, found I was number ?? on the list, and they would call if I got to the top. Well after about 8 months, I found one, and was number 2, and waited and it was even in my state. Finally got the call, it was sold ---- again. At least Larry had the decency to call me. Some owners never called back. So I was still looking, and at one time I was on 4 different lists. Then one day just taking the long way home went past a long cul-de-sac and there was a covered boat in there, but the shear stripe showed, and it had the C-Dory lap strake hull. A quick U-turn and find the house is up for sale, there is no one around, there is a washed off 3x5" card on the spare tire carrier, unreadable except for a capital "F and then over a ways, what looked like an "L and E". I pulled the cover loose enough to find the "C-Dory" inside. The side logo was not there, but it was a C-Dory.... Easy, call the realtor listed on the sign and it should be easy to make contact with the owner. WRONG, The realtor was really interested until he found out I did not want to buy the house, just the boat. He would not give me the owners name or contact info, and was not interested in any way to help me. Believe me it took some digging. I canvassed the neighborhood, looked for city or county records and got nowhere when friend at church suggested I contact another realtor that he knew who could help me. I did, He did and I made contact with Dorie, the widow of the owner, Jim. It was his 34th boat and he had passed before he even got to do his dream trip which it was fully (almost) outfitted for a fishing trip to Alaska. The first thing when I got to talk with Dorie was that I wanted to send her a check, over-night express, so she knew I was serious, and would be first in line to buy the boat. I took a bit to convince her, but it did, it worked and I finally drove the 5 miles to where Jim's Dorie was, and brought it home. It only had 80 hours on it. The Yamaha out board engine warrantee was transferable and good.

For me it wasn't the miles, but the wait, that was so long. (At the same time I found my boat so close, there was another C-BRAT in Alaska that found his, in Florida. I think we had the longest and shortest transports at close to the same time.

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

kaelc

City/Region: Saanich
State or Province: BC
C-Dory Year: 2007
Vessel Name: Island Magic
Photos: Stil-Afloat
PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2021 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some great trips and stories, here thanks for sharing. Victoria BC to Hood River, 1000km roundtrip, 1.5 hour ferry and a border crossing to pick up a tomcat I had surveyed but failed to discover the boat had been ran up on the beach repeatedly. Couldn't come to terms given the damage and the ability to safely tow it with a Tundra and went home boatless.

The second shot was Victoria to Seattle about 600km round trip for our 25 Cruiser. Hit the boat show and the prices there convinced me to go through with it despite the condition the broker had kept the boat in. Almost 400 hours on the main and hundreds of hours on the kicker and we are loving it.

Lots of great Mexican food, hotels with free breakfasts buying our C-Dory. I am missing the Seattle boat show this year but it's tempting just to do the courses.

Looking at the border dreaming about Catalina Islands and the Sea of Cortez. So many spots to visit now that we have a new trailer.
Wayne McCown

City/Region: Rochester
State or Province: NY
C-Dory Year: 1999
Vessel Name: Little Mac
Photos: Little Mac
PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2021 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We found our C-Dory on the internet. We drove from Rochester, NY "way up north" in Minnesota. I forget the name of the town, but judging from Google Maps the round-trip was about 3,000 miles.

The previous (=first) owner was very fussy. I was told (on the phone, in advance of the trip) to buy and bring a roll of bubble wrap...to protect the front of the boat from rocks, etc.
jennykatz

City/Region: naples
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Model: 23 Venture
Vessel Name: Little Treasurer
Photos: Jennykatz
PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2021 6:43 am    Post subject: C-dory drive Reply with quote

I traveled 2 hours for my cd22 then changed out the 50 Hp Honda for a 90Suzuki a few years later I traveled 3 hours for the Cape Cruiser Venture 23 with a115 Yamaha changed it out for a115 Mercury CT 5 years ago Then my 16 was only 1/2 hour away So all my C-dory boats came from Florida .Jim
00 cd16 cruiser honda 40 sold 3/12
dotnmarty

City/Region: Sammamish
C-Dory Year: 1993
C-Dory Model: 16 Angler
Vessel Name: LIZZIE II
Photos: Lizzie
PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2021 11:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found this older 16 footer listed by Sportcraft down in Oregon. It was a pretty beatup hull and set up for fishing with screws everywhere. But there was a brand spankin' new Honda 50 hanging off the stern.. Apparently the previous owner just purchased the Honda and promptly passed away, (incidentally, the owner before that guy also passed away). I made a deal with Sportrcraft to put a new trailer under it, trailered it home with my four cylinder Jeep Cpmpass, about 400 miles round trip. I took off all the fishing stuff, hired a guy to fill the screw holes and cleaned it up. We had several years of wonderful time on the water with Lizzie, then took her back to Sportcraft who sold her to a fellow who really refurbished her. Lizzie was and is well loved by all her owners. I'm happy to know she will out live us all.

"...we're all in the same boat..."
Keweenaw2018

City/Region: Upper Peninsula
State or Province: MI
C-Dory Year: 2000
Vessel Name: Norppa
Photos: Keweenaw2018
PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2021 12:27 pm    Post subject: 1,967mi Reply with quote

1,967mi Cocoa Beach, FL > Superior, WI
Salmon Fisher

City/Region: Arlington
C-Dory Year: 2004
Vessel Name: Kim Christine
Photos: Kim Christine
PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2021 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Keweenaw2018,

Sounds like an unforgettable trip! Especially with getting back safely in the snow.

Please tell the "rest of the story."

2004 25 Cruiser-Present

2000 22 Cruiser 2009-2014 (Sold)
2006 25 Cruiser 2014-2019 (Sold)
1985 22 Classic -2019 (Sold)
1991 19 Arima Sea Ranger-2019-2021 (Sold)
2015 27 Ranger Tug-2019-2023 (Sold)
1987 22 Cruiser -2021-2023 (Sold)

Honey, this REALLY will be my last boat, honest!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: