The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

How Far Did You Travel To Buy Your C-Dory?
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Desert Dory

City/Region: Tucson
State or Province: AZ
C-Dory Year: 1989
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Desert Dory
Photos: Desert Dory
PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2021 1:07 pm    Post subject: How Far Did You Travel To Buy Your C-Dory? Reply with quote

Having just replied to @amvoboril thread about picking up their new to them 22 cruiser, Just Ducky, I got to thinking about how many obsessed C-Dory owners were willing to travel a fair distance to buy/pick-up the boat they may have been dreaming about for years.

In our case, we traveled from Tucson AZ to Waynesville OH to get our boat. Never even thought twice about it. No hesitation at all. Made some wonderful new friends too.

Google maps says 1,825 miles one way for our little foray. Our trip actually ended up being just a tick under 4,000 miles as we diverted off our route to a few different lakes to spend the night on our way home.

Soooo, how far did you travel to make your dream happen?
txmntman

City/Region: GEORGETOWN
State or Province: TX
C-Dory Year: 2006
Vessel Name: Saint Somewhere
Photos: Saint Somewhere
PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2021 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn’t travel for my boat. However, I bought it sight unseen about 2000 miles away, hired a marine surveyor to look at the boat, and then had it shipped to my home. I was going to go there myself, but family things made that impossible, so I had it shipped from Portland, OR to Central Texas...
Boston Whaler Montauk "Joe Bob" Sold
Hobie Cat "Mikey Likes It" Sold
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2021 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Three boats bought at least 1000 miles from home.
Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
Pacificcoast101

City/Region: Torrance
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 2008
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: No Pressure
Photos: No Pressure
PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2021 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got lucky. Ours was the only one available in Southern California. The shop we bought it from has two locations, one 12 miles away and another about 80 miles away. We couldn't afford it when it was close, but gladly drove an hour and a half to test drive it and make an offer. They didn't accept our offer so we had to scramble to come up with more money.

We've had the boat for eleven years now and still love it.

Southern California Marine Life
https://www.flickr.com/photos/southern_california_marine_life/albums

My Photos
https://www.alamy.com/stock-photo/?pseudoid=%7bAC42A235-FD0A-464A-B559-1CC5843C95FB%7d&name=Phil+Garner&st=11&mode=0&comp=1
robhwa

City/Region: Anderson Island
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2003
Vessel Name: Marcia C
Photos: Problemadela
PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2021 2:52 pm    Post subject: How far did I travel to buy my C-Dory Reply with quote

I travelled 2058 miles, round-trip, Anderson island to Bakersfield CA. More than I hoped for, but no big deal in hindsight.

I had tried for two years to buy one, and had made an offer on PaulNBriannaLynn's CD-22 as they moved east, but was second-in-line. I was new to the list, and instead of a personal message, I posted that I wanted their boat to the regular list.

I had already been too late several times, saying "I'd like to see your boat", for relatively good prices, but someone buying ahead of me, usually sight unseen. I thought I knew boats. My father was a waterman on the Chesapeake Bay.

I got an email from a CA gentleman, saying they saw my post wanting to buy, that they were getting old and hadn't managed to get their's out for a couple of years, and would I be interested?

My response this time "I want to buy your boat". His response was "don't you want to see it first". My reply "I will buy it if it is as you say. How do you want to be paid?".

Basically the next day, I left. I took a set of tools, first to test the hull, and second to look at the wheel bearings. The owner, a machinist, had taken fantastic care of everything, as it turned out. I ran the motor, but decided even if I needed to replace it, I was ahead, at $27K with a 9.9 kicker and an Avon tender.

I remembered that tow, since I was nervous about it. In the CA and OR mountains, it was incredibly windy. The tow with my Dodge 1/2 ton pickup was easy. I remember passing one Grady White pulled with a Ford F350 dually that wasn't able to keep in his lane, and motorhomes all over the road. Some people were stopping.

Though I didn't want to make that long trip without knowing the rig, I'm awfully glad I did.
journey on

City/Region: Valley Centre
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: journey on
Photos: Journey On
PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2021 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We traveled twice to see and buy Journey On.

The first time we flew from San Diego to Seattle to see the C-Dory line at the boat show. I wanted an Osprey, Judy wanted the C-Dory 25. She won, and we ordered the boat. That's 4800 miles round trip.

Next, we picked the boat up at the factory, south of Seattle. Spent a couple of weeks christening the boat and touring the San Juans. That's another 4800 miles round trip.

So if there's a message here, that works out to 533 miles/year of ownership, just to buy. Not counting any trips. Well worth it, it's been a great boat to travel in, both on the road and in the water. Though we ended up buying a new truck.

Boris
PaulNBriannaLynn

City/Region: Fort White
State or Province: FL
Vessel Name: TBD
Photos: Lorelei
PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2021 4:23 pm    Post subject: Re: How far did I travel to buy my C-Dory Reply with quote

robhwa wrote:
I had tried for two years to buy one, and had made an offer on PaulNBriannaLynn's CD-22 as they moved east, but was second-in-line. I was new to the list, and instead of a personal message, I posted that I wanted their boat to the regular list.

Rob I wish we would have known you wanted it back then. It was a pleasure meeting you and your wife. The buyers that bought that boat have never been heard from again after watching the trailer drive off. Its like adopting out a beloved pet you cant have anymore, but I still want to know its doing good Laughing

The first time, we were discussing a purchase of a 22 in Maryland with the owner, and I was trying to determine the feasibility of picking it up and driving it back to Washington state. The problem was it was February and the drive seemed like a bad idea. I'd been searching pretty seriously for 6 months at this time. That's when DuckDogTitus made a post on here about a nice boat being advertised at EQ marine. EQ marine was like 10 miles from the house! But I didn't want to snake ol DuckDog, so I gave it a week or so before going over there. I talked with Les, and asked if there was any offers. He said yes a contingent offer, but financing hadn't materialized yet and the consigner hadn't accepted it. So I said well I have cash, and made an offer on the spot.

Second time was easy. I'd found Tom's boat for sale in North Carolina, made the drive up from Savannah and brought her home. I had my pick of all the boats for sale in the Southeast so I picked the cleanest, best maintained one. Anyone struggling to find a boat in the northwest should consider buying down here and towing it or shipping it back. That premium your saving by buying out of state will probably pay for the trip and than some.

Desert Dory

City/Region: Tucson
C-Dory Year: 1989
Vessel Name: Desert Dory
Photos: Desert Dory
PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2021 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some great stories! Once bitten by the C-Dory bug a little road trip means nothing.

robhwa wrote:
I travelled 2058 miles, round-trip, Anderson island to Bakersfield CA. More than I hoped for, but no big deal in hindsight.

I had already been too late several times, saying "I'd like to see your boat", for relatively good prices, but someone buying ahead of me, usually sight unseen. I thought I knew boats. My father was a waterman on the Chesapeake Bay.

I got an email from a CA gentleman, saying they saw my post wanting to buy, that they were getting old and hadn't managed to get their's out for a couple of years, and would I be interested?

My response this time "I want to buy your boat". His response was "don't you want to see it first". My reply "I will buy it if it is as you say. How do you want to be paid?".

Basically the next day, I left. I took a set of tools, first to test the hull, and second to look at the wheel bearings. The owner, a machinist, had taken fantastic care of everything, as it turned out. I ran the motor, but decided even if I needed to replace it, I was ahead, at $27K with a 9.9 kicker and an Avon tender.

I remembered that tow, since I was nervous about it. In the CA and OR mountains, it was incredibly windy. The tow with my Dodge 1/2 ton pickup was easy. I remember passing one Grady White pulled with a Ford F350 dually that wasn't able to keep in his lane, and motorhomes all over the road. Some people were stopping.

Though I didn't want to make that long trip without knowing the rig, I'm awfully glad I did.

Yeah, you definitely have to be quick when one shows up, or so I've heard.

We weren't actively looking for one when ours popped up on here. Our plan was to wait until I retired in a couple of years. I just happened to look one night after a trip to the lake and there it was. I had noticed the ad had been posted for about for about a day and a half and said to myself, "well, that one's gone". I sent an email anyway and much to my astonishment got a reply with some pics, and I started throwing money at him to get the deal done. A month later we were on our way to pick her up.

$15K out the door!

journey on wrote:
We traveled twice to see and buy Journey On.

The first time we flew from San Diego to Seattle to see the C-Dory line at the boat show. I wanted an Osprey, Judy wanted the C-Dory 25. She won, and we ordered the boat. That's 4800 miles round trip.

Next, we picked the boat up at the factory, south of Seattle. Spent a couple of weeks christening the boat and touring the San Juans. That's another 4800 miles round trip.

So if there's a message here, that works out to 533 miles/year of ownership, just to buy. Not counting any trips. Well worth it, it's been a great boat to travel in, both on the road and in the water. Though we ended up buying a new truck.

Boris

Did you really tow that 25 with that Tri-Five Chevy pickup Boris?!!? WOW!

I had a hot rodded '56 Chevy PU for a few years and I couldn't imagine pulling a 22, much less a 25, with that thing. Although the suspension was bone stock to include the straight axle front with ball-bearing hubs (not roller bearings). Mine used to chew thru some front wheel bearing like it was possessed.
Peter & Judy

City/Region: Olds
State or Province: AB
Vessel Name: Mistaya
Photos: Mistaya
PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2021 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We bought our boat in Whitehorse, Yukon. I bought the boat sight unseen and had it put into storage for the winter, so that we could make a holiday out of the trip to retrieve it. We did our first trip on Tagish Lake and the drove down to Atlin Lake where we did an 8 day voyage. It was a wonderful trip and great introduction to C-Dory cruising. Whitehorse is 2,400 Kms from my ranch in central Alberta.

HMCB Mistaya
"Mistaya" (Grizzly Bear in Cree)
HMCB (Her Majesties Cute Boat)
Jack in Alaska

City/Region: Anchorage/Ninilchik
State or Province: AK
C-Dory Model: 26 Pro Angler
Vessel Name: HIGH TIDE II
Photos: HIGH TIDE II
PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2021 5:06 pm    Post subject: Travel to buy Reply with quote

1st CD. 22'....purchased at the factory in 1983. 5100 r/t miles from Anchorage.Alaska to Kent, Wash and return.
2nd CD.26'...purchased in W. Palm Beach, Fl..in 2007, 11,000 r/t miles returning to Anchorage.

Also towed 6 more CD's to Alaska for $$$$$ from Idaho, and 5 from Wash. State.

No problems with any trip or equipment. All fun trips.

My wife and I have 40 r/t's on the Alaska highway, 3 to southern Mexico.

Jack & Carolyn Rathert

HIGH TIDE-II; 2005 26' ProAngler; 2003 200 Honda / 2009 9.9 Honda high thrust
No. CD026021I405; AK-5008-AK
MSSI No. 338143486(cancelled)

HIGH TIDE; 1983 Angler Classic 22'; 90 Honda/ 9.9 Tohatsu-sold 2009 to son Dan (flatfishfool)
Stolen & stripped in Aug. 18
Bare hull & trailer sold in Nov.
Salmon Fisher

City/Region: Arlington
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2004
Vessel Name: Kim Christine
Photos: Kim Christine
PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2021 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We've been lucky.

First the 2000 22 Cruiser in Chambers Bay, south of Tacoma. 170 miles round trip! Had lurked on the C-Brats site for a few years and finally joined. Within 3 days Robbi pmed us and said a friend there was thinking of selling and would we like her to have him contact us. YES! Sea Trial within a week and our first
C-Dory in about 5 weeks.

A few years later getting the need to move to a 25 after numerous fishing and cruising trips. EQ had a 25 up on consignment. Back from a 10 day San Juan Island cruise, that afternoon, after price dropped we drove up, 40 miles, to take a look. Deposit and sea trial and 4 weeks later in our back yard.

A few more years down the line and needing a fishing boat, started looking for a 22 Angler. Found a 22 Classic in Port Townsend, with the help of Harvey in Sequim. Drove over, met Harvey at Westside Marine and we were all over that boat checking it out. A few weeks later and 240 miles and two round trips and ferry rides and it was in the backyard with the 25 Cruiser.

C-Doryless now, but not boatless. Looking for a 22 Cruiser or Angler to take over as a fishing boat, again. Our 19 Arima is a fine fishing platform, but I need some creature comforts like the galley and v berth for extended trips.

Love the fellowship of like-minded-boat-crazy folks within the C-Brats Community. I'm sure I'll have to put some more miles on to get the next
C-Dory, but that's part of the fun! Helped a buddy score a fixer upper Arima 2 years ago and that was to Minneapolis and back. Now that was a flying trip in 5 days, lemme tell ya!

Fun reading about the adventures of fellow C-Brats in their quest for these really fine craft!

2004 25 Cruiser-Present

2000 22 Cruiser 2009-2014 (Sold)
2006 25 Cruiser 2014-2019 (Sold)
1985 22 Classic -2019 (Sold)
1991 19 Arima Sea Ranger-2019-2021 (Sold)
2015 27 Ranger Tug-2019-2023 (Sold)
1987 22 Cruiser -2021-2023 (Sold)

Honey, this REALLY will be my last boat, honest!
JamesTXSD

City/Region: from island boy to desert dweller
Vessel Name: "Wild Blue" (sold 9/14)
Photos: Wild Blue
PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2021 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like Boris, we flew to Seattle to see a C-Dory in the flesh at the Seattle Boat Show. Bought the boat there from the factory (factory did direct sales back then), then flew back home to south Texas. When the boat was ready, we drove the 2,800 miles to the factory to take delivery, got acquainted with the boat in southern Puget Sound, then went to the San Juans, to Bellingham where we loaded it on the trailer, went to Lake Tahoe, then Lake Powell, then back to south Texas.

And that was just the beginning of hauling that boat coast to coast to coast and all kinds of inland waters in between.

Back then (in 2006) C-Dory had a major presence at the Seattle Boat Show, with one of every model on display. Sure made that "22 or 25" decision easy when you could look them over closely while side-by-side.

We bought a 3/4 ton diesel pickup to haul the boat. When we first hooked the boat up to it, I remember thinking, "Shoulda got a bigger truck"...

The truck turned out to be a great match with the 25.
Angler

City/Region: Clarence
State or Province: NY
Vessel Name: The Laurie Jean (Tim & Laurie)
Photos: Laurie Jean
PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2021 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Buffalo, NY to Central Florida and back. Surveyor provided my assurance and went to fetch her without hesitation. Family stop in Mooresville, NC and a shrink wrap for the salt back my way. 2400 miles give or take a few. Now waiting out the winter to get her on the water. The C-dory desire is very powerful when it hits you!
colbysmith

City/Region: Madison
State or Province: WI
C-Dory Year: 2009
Vessel Name: C-Traveler
Photos: C-Traveler and Midnight-Flyer
PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2021 11:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, with all the towing travel I do of 10,000-12,000 miles a year for the past couple of years, farthest trip being about 6000 miles round trip to Prince Rupert, as for buying the boats, fairly short. Midnight Flyer was about 400 miles away, and C-Traveler was about 900 miles away.
VicC

City/Region: El Sobrante
C-Dory Model: 22 Angler
Vessel Name: Denali
PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2021 11:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I flew from the San Francisco Bay area up to Anchorage AK to meet the owner and check out his beautiful (like new) 22' Angler. I had arranged to have it checked out at a shop in Anchorage. The next day we launched it out of Whittier for a sea trial. Afterwards we worked out a deal and I had it shipped from Anchorage to Seattle. I drove up from the Bay Area to meet it when it arrived and trailer'd her the rest of the way home.

I thought I did some traveling to get mine until I read some of your journeys to get your C-Dory. Round-trip Anchorage to W.Palm Beach FL....WOW!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: