The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

To Bottom Paint or Not to Paint? That is the question.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> General Technical Discussions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Swee Pea

City/Region: Bath
State or Province: NC
C-Dory Year: 2004
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Swee Pea
Photos: Swee Pea
PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2006 7:47 am    Post subject: To Bottom Paint or Not to Paint? That is the question. Reply with quote

Hello all.

My situation has changed and I have the opportunity to dock Swee Pea at a marina for a very reasonable price. I am not crazy about putting bottom paint on her though. I have read with great interest about the Air Dock system and am interested. Does anyone on the forum own and use an Air Dock or have any real experience with it? I also have read about that other system (can't think of the name) which creates a "pool" under the boat and you add tablets. Any direct or real experience with that system?

Or, should I just bite the bullet and sand and bottom paint the girl?

John
Swee Pea
Sneaks

City/Region: San Diego (Encinitas)
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 1993
C-Dory Model: 16 Angler
Vessel Name: C-Brat
Photos: Jenny B and C-Brat
PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2006 9:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi John. At least one other Brat on here owns the Air-Dock system and I have the Armored Hull "pool" system which has about two months use on it here in San Diego.

Personally I think they both work equally well. One must add chlorine tabs to the canisters every 3-4 weeks with the wading pool (AH). I considered both options at the time and the fact that the manufacturer is here in San Diego, the owner's boat is two slips down from mine, and I got it installed by the experts for a couple of cases of their favorite beverage swayed me. Us retired military stick together. Wink There are at least 4 other AH installs at our small marina.

If I were to do it again I'd spend the extra $150 and get the next larger model so both the 22 and the 25 would fit. As Pat and Patty can attest, one never knows when "two-footitis" hits. The gate drops down and there's almost 4' of water under the prop when I back out. Barely a foot at the bow. Caveat: Both the Air-Dock and the AH need bottom scraped occasionally. I'm told it's needed about once every 3 years on the AH. OTOH, the owner's boat, a 25' Parker, has been in the AH for a number of years and his bottom and outdrive look pristine. They say the chlorine level is about the same as tapwater.

Essentially mine is an industrial strength wading pool tied to the dock with 1/2" poly line connected to stainless clips screwed into the side of the dock. The sides are held up with 6" heavy duty PVC pipes that act as floats. Nothing is actually on the dock. Open a valve and the gate drops (takes about 3 minutes) and go. When you return, tie up, put an oversize bicycle pump on the hose, pump it a dozen times, close the valve and it's done.

So far, I'm very satisfied.

Don

Brat #483
"Jenny B" 2005 C-22/F75 sold, Oct. 2008
"C-Brat" 1993 C-16 angler/50 hp
Sawdust

City/Region: Oak Harbor
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 1984
C-Dory Model: 22 Classic
Photos: C-Salt
PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2006 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Old Dusty uses the Air Dock and son-in-law also used one before he sold his 22 C-Dory.

The Air Dock is a bit more expensive but I like it very much. Easy way to keep the bottom clean, and it also provides a buffer for neophite boat drivers who lose control with our gusty winds and tides. Saves gelcoat! Bottom painting is a real PITA in this area because the waiting lines are long -- very few WA State certified bottom painters, and it is not only costly but very time-consuming. AND - even with bottom paint it takes frequent cleaning by a diver if the boat is not operated frequently. Just a little "fuzz" on the bottom increases drag and $/mile very quickly.

Give me a PM if interested and I'll send some pics.

Dusty (with huge smile after meeting old and new friends at the CDSBS.)

gljjr

City/Region: Fall City
C-Dory Year: 1982
C-Dory Model: 27 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Migratory Dory
Photos: gljjr
PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2006 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As someone who is going to have to repaint the bottom because it was painted before I say do what you have to NOT to paint! I'm dreading the hours of sanding/painting before me!
drjohn71a

City/Region: Wichita
State or Province: KS
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: Tom-a-Hawk
Photos: Tom-a-Hawk
PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2006 10:00 am    Post subject: Gel Bottom Coat Reply with quote

On several of my non-bottom-painted boats in the 21 to 29 foot range, I just put a 'gel' type stuff on from mail order for use in the hot summers at lakes in kansas. It looks a bit like Vaseline going on and picks up the color of the algae at the water line, but power washes right off at the end of the season.

I would think this would be an ideal solution for periodic 'leavings-in-the-water'.

Thanks for all the good info on this site, John
colvosview

City/Region: Gig Harbor
C-Dory Year: 1987
C-Dory Model: 22 Angler
Vessel Name: C-heeto
PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2006 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought the Air Dock from Dusty's son-in-law, and so far I'm happy with it. Although I have to qualify and say that I've only had it in the water since the end of November. It looks to be a good product, working as advertised. I'm just wondering how long it will take before so much stuff accumulates on IT'S bottom before it has to be dragged out and cleaned.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> General Technical Discussions All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: