The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

A Guy Can Dream, Can't He? (My Next Dinghy?)

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Pat Anderson

City/Region: Birch Bay, WA
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Daydream
Photos: Daydream and Crabby Lou
PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2021 11:35 am    Post subject: A Guy Can Dream, Can't He? (My Next Dinghy?) Reply with quote

OK, here is the new Seaeagle FastCat inflatable, featured in the catalog that just arrived (since I have purchased two FT-385 inflatable kayaks, I am on their mailing list for the rest of my natural life).

We do like the Seaeagle FT-385 inflatable kayak but my balance is not what it used to be...just this past year, I lost my balance and fell in at Tombolo Cove at Decatur Island. It was a short but not particularly enjoyable swim to the ladder at the swim step.

Of course, the approximately $4K (which includes the FastCat AND the 5 hp Honda outboard) is just the start.

I would need Dr. Bob's advice on dinghy davits, I am not the guy, what I would need to buy, and more importantly where I would take it for installation (most likely The Bitter End at Squalicum) because in that department, I am REALLY not the guy.

Or maybe I will just have to content myself with the new Suzuzi 200 re-power...

DAYDREAM - CD25 Cruiser
CRABBY LOU - CD16 Angler (sold 2020)
Pat & Patty Anderson, C-Brat #62!
http://daydreamsloop.blogspot.com

westward

City/Region: Seattle
C-Dory Year: 1985
C-Dory Model: 16 Angler
Vessel Name: TBD
Photos: Steady Eddy
PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2021 12:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Greetings Pat,

As a Physical Therapy professional who is not getting younger, I feel your pain. Father time is not altogether nice!

I'm interested in your approach to boating adaptations which can allow continued access in the setting of the inevitable decline of balance, strength, and endurance we all face. Irony of ironies that as we have increasing time, $$, and wisdom to enjoy water access we simultaneously diminish in our ability to do so. (Please know that I am not singling you out for scrutiny in this regard; thinking more of myself and my patients).

I would love to see a section on this forum devoted specifically to boating adaptations and compensatory strategies, including handicap access.

BTW: We've had a Summer home on Decatur for >20 years and have never heard of Tombolo Cove. Where is it located?

Warm regards, Mike
Peter & Judy

City/Region: Olds
State or Province: AB
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Mistaya
Photos: Mistaya
PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2021 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's not much of a dingy. in 2019 when we were cruising in Desolation Sound, we stopped at Cortes Island to try to squeeze 100 litres of fuel in the tank and the 'dingy' from a private yacht was trying to squeeze in 1000 litres of fuel. The yacht, Solaia, 131 feet long and charters at over $100,000 a week was anchored nearby. The 'dingy had twin 250 HP engines. Now that's a dingy.

HMCB Mistaya
"Mistaya" (Grizzly Bear in Cree)
HMCB (Her Majesties Cute Boat)
Knipet

City/Region: Orcas Island
C-Dory Model: 23 Venture
Vessel Name: Pan-A-C'ya
Photos: Pan-A-C'ya
PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2021 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Peter & Judy wrote:
That's not much of a dingy. The 'dingy had twin 250 HP engines. Now that's a dingy.

I guess some people subscribe to the notion that "if it is worth doing, it's worth over-doing!"

Pat Anderson

City/Region: Birch Bay, WA
Vessel Name: Daydream
Photos: Daydream and Crabby Lou
PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2021 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

westward wrote:
Greetings Pat,

As a Physical Therapy professional who is not getting younger, I feel your pain. Father time is not altogether nice!

I'm interested in your approach to boating adaptations which can allow continued access in the setting of the inevitable decline of balance, strength, and endurance we all face. Irony of ironies that as we have increasing time, $$, and wisdom to enjoy water access we simultaneously diminish in our ability to do so. (Please know that I am not singling you out for scrutiny in this regard; thinking more of myself and my patients).

I would love to see a section on this forum devoted specifically to boating adaptations and compensatory strategies, including handicap access.

BTW: We've had a Summer home on Decatur for >20 years and have never heard of Tombolo Cove. Where is it located?

Warm regards, Mike

Last point first - Tombolo Cove is the shallow little cove between the south end of Decatur and the Kimball Preserve owned by the San Juan Trust (it is our name, the name does not appear on any chart!). Larger boats have to stay out near the entrance, but with our shallow draft, it is perfect for us. The island behind Daydream in this photo from 2011 is the one with the concrete structure on the other side at the entrance to the cove. Just past here, a left turn puts you into Lopez Pass.

Your comments resonate! I am 74 and just had a total left knee replacement on November 2nd. I have been in PT since about a week after surgery, and have additional appointments through the end of February. I just saw my surgeon today, and he was very happy with my range of motion. We are talking about scheduling surgery on the right knee. I suffered with bilateral bone on bone arthritis for over a year. The focus of my PT now is shifting from ROM to balance and agility, although I still do the ROM exercises.

So I am very conscious of adaptations required. The first one was to sell the Alaska Series dinghy and buy the SeaEagle inflatable kayak, since the Alaska Series at 54 lbs had become too difficult for me to get over the bow rail and up onto the roof. Now I am worried about balance and falling in as I get into the inflatable kayak. At 32 pounds, it was much easier to get over the bow rail and up on the roof, and Baxter loves it! It is quite wide and really quite stable - we used it on our whole Great Loop over 8 months in 2017 without any problem.

But now, with questionable knees and more questionable balance, I wish I had the Alaska Series back and all I would need is a tall Garhauer davit to get it on top of the boat!

I'm sure as we progress through this next season, I will discover a few more adaptions have become necessary!

westward

City/Region: Seattle
C-Dory Year: 1985
C-Dory Model: 16 Angler
Vessel Name: TBD
Photos: Steady Eddy
PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2021 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That particular cove is indeed a shallow-draft gem! On a low tide one can walk between the shore strand and the little island. The concrete structure was a WW2 vintage kelp->penicillin processing facility. It had a concrete roof when we first came to Decatur which has collapsed. The trail on the Kimball Trust (either to the East or West) is one our favorite hikes in the world, indeed where we first fell in love with Decatur Island.

I hear you re: the weight of kayaks. Here at home in Seattle I find I often decline a kayak outing d/t the difficulty of dragging my kayak over the bulkhead and down the beach stairs. I'm trying to add resistance training to my exercise routine because patient care and recreational ADL's are becoming harder every year.

There is an excellent book out called: "younger next year", co-written by an attorney and a physician. It gives simple, common-sense strategies to slow down the inevitable.

All the best for a favorable outcome with your next surgery!!

Mike
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2021 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Pat,

As usual you have come up with a thought provoking idea! I was impressed with the Sea Eagle Kayak which you took on the Loop--and Sea Eagle has come a long way from their beginnings.

I have gone to the Torqeedo electric motor--not as fast as a 5 hp, but it comes in pieces which don't weight over 12 1/2# each--total weight 30# with battery. No fooling with gasoline, and pull starts for cold engines!!

The potential problems I see with this Sea Eagle boat are:

Quote:
Hull Weight: 113 lbs. (98 lbs. with Hull only, 15 lbs. with Transom)
Length 12 ft. 10 in.

The Garhauer davit will handle the weight (rated at 150#), and it is easy to have an extended deck pipe made for just a few dollars more in fabrication material cost and shipping. However it does involve a "dance" along the side deck. I am lifting about 68# and you would be lifting an additional 35#. This will require more force pulling down or sideways on the davit. One of the other posters has solved this in one way, by standing on the opposite of the boat, and pulling across, instead of the same side, where I have control of both the boat as hoisting and the davit. I don't know what the diameter of the tubes is, or if they will fit under your radar arch--which is possible. You are hoisting a boat which is also 3 feet longer than our dinghy (which is 9'6" long) Some of the c Brats are using the Ka boats by Saturn which start at 12' in length and are narrow beam. The weight of the Ka boat is only 48#

There are other cat dinghies:one of the first ones Is the Takacat . It is lighter, but does have an open transom. It is also probably more expensive. It comes in 8 1/2' to 14' The 9'10" boat weight is 66#, it will take up to 10 hp.

Saturn also makes a similar cat but in shorter lengths: From 9 1/2' (90#) to 12' (125#). These also take larger motors.

Bris also makes an 11' inflatable cat (106#)...So there is selection. Both in size and weight.

Will the cat ride smoother in rough water at slow speeds? At high speeds, definitely yes.(Calm water no difference).

One feature which is important as we age is the floor of the dinghy--most all of them are stable as we step onto the pontoons. But boats without support in the floor, became a trampoline. Not what we need as we step aboard! I favor the high pressure air floor, because it is lighter and easier to put in place than an aluminum or wooden floor.

Any good fiberglass or boat repair shop should be able to put the davit in place. The upper support involves drilling two holes in the lip--and putting 1/4" nuts on the support plate screws. The lower part I make a wedge out of starboard--but PVC lumber could be sured, or one could build up fiberglass. Important is that any holes drilled in the deck must be sealed with epxoy-- this must be done here also. Boat shops and repair places still haven't gotten the word about what one does to prevent core damage--so you have to tell them!

Here is a full photo expo on the Garhauer Davit, how I set it up and use it.

As for balance: you are absolutely right. As we age our balance is not as good. I'm only 10 years older than you. I had a disastrous event 2 years ago. I missed the deck and went in between the boat and dock, causing substantial muscle damage to my leg. I could not get to the stern without Marie bringing the dinghy to me to hang onto until we got the the swim ladder.

Now I plan every move, and think about where my foot and hands need to go to be secure!

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
jkidd

City/Region: Northern, Utah
State or Province: UT
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Voyager
Photos: Voyager (JK)
PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2021 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm using the davit for a 13' Kaboat the weighs in at 90 lbs. I tried a bridle first and that didn't work very well. Then I pointed the bow of Kaboat towards the stearn hooked the rope to the side closest to the Cdory about 1-1/2' from the stern and lifted the stern straight up as high as it would go. Then went to the bow and grab the side and lifted and rotated it onto the roof. This way works really easy for me. Just reverse to put the boat back in the water.

MaddogShady

City/Region: Friendswood
State or Province: TX
PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2022 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Takacat breaks the weight into two bags so not as much to lift at once. The outboard is still a minimum of 57 pounds, for 6hp, and as much as 97-100 pounds for the larger 9.9-20hp.
There is another brand called true kit which seems similar to Takacat but has welded seems, but this is even more money and although they ship to the USA, there is an import tax and high shipping and no dealers presently.
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2022 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
The Takacat breaks the weight into two bags so not as much to lift at once. The outboard is still a minimum of 57 pounds, for 6hp, and as much as 97-100 pounds for the larger 9.9-20hp.

Breaking down into two bags does not help getting the boat on the top of the cabin, since it has to be assembled before use. I do have a mount so I can use the Garhauer davit. on a trailer hitch for heavy loads into a pickup or SUV.

The key for a lighter motor for any of these boats is finding an older two stroke which is in good condition. The 5 hp Mercury can be as little as 30#.

For anything over 2.5 hp four stroke today you are going to be in that 50 lb range.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: