View previous topic :: View next topic  
tparrent

City/Region: Apex
State or Province: NC
C-Dory Year: 2017
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: Tomfoolery
Photos: tparrent (TBD)
PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2021 5:41 pm    Post subject: Tomcat washdown Reply with quote

I’m back on the boat and in the middle of my first official cruise! Staying at the spectacular River Dunes marina near Oriental NC. I’ll post pictures when I return.

The last bit of winterization I had to do was the washdown in the cockpit. Didn’t realize it had its own pump. Now I realize I know nothing about it!

Does this take water from the tanks or the surrounding raw water? If the latter, how does one winterize it? (It would take a lot of antifreeze to fill the Neuse River! Disgust )

I turned on both the washdown pump and the main pump. They made pumpy noises but nothing came out (yes, I tried both spigot positions Rolling Eyes )

thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2021 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For the raw water wash down pump there should be a thru hull. Trace the tubing from the quick disconnect fixture to the pump. The valve on the thru hull is possibly closed . You should be able to disconnect the pump hose, and either run it dry (sort burst-) or pour In a little anti freeze, the tubing to the quick disconnect should drain if off the pump. in some boats the thru hull was under the hanging locker floor (in my 2006/7 TC 255 and in several C Dory 25's of about this vintage.
Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
gulfcoast john

City/Region: PENSACOLA
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2010
Vessel Name: Cat O' Mine
Photos: CAT O' MINE
PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2021 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bob types and thinks faster; here's my two cents...

It’s likely a raw water washdown. The through hull for mine is located in the aft section of the port sponson in the tunnel and below water level (duh). The triangle side of the valve is glassed in. The valves, hoses, pumps chosen over the years have varied, but the principles remain the same.

https://www.amazon.com/Watts-Marine-Bronze-Flanged-Seacock/dp/B006AF1CHY/ref=sr_1_14?dchild=1&keywords=through+hull+valve&qid=1610664939&sr=8-14

This quarter- turn valve handle, like all I’ve seen on boats, permits flow when the handle is in line with the water flow and blocks it like a gate when perpendicular to the piping. (The blackwater Y diverter valve is also, but the flow path is a bit harder to follow). A ¾” clear hose leads to the raw water pressure pump, then to the washdown hose and whatever hose end sprayer you like. The raw water intake valve must be open and only the washdown pump should be on (and of course your sprayer nozzle) to wash down the cockpit with raw water.

This is the ONLY underwater through hull on a TC255 (not counting transom drain plugs). As a sailor you recognize that as a real danger point on any unattended boat. Keep that valve closed at all times unless using that washdown. I don’t like spraying saltwater all over the cockpit, but I also don’t like giant bloody fish in my cockpit nearly as much as most owners do.

Notice the little winterizing screw on the valve (lowest point in that system) that can be removed to drain the plumbing (remove hose nozzle to make it drain easier). MAKE SURE THAT VALVE HANDLE STAYS CLOSED. No pink stuff needed.

I found the raw water washdown system the second most useless thing on the boat after the water heater and removed it. I keep the leftover hose from the valve in a position above the water level and plugged with a big bolt and a hose clamp around the bolt leg over the hose. For good measure, I stick a rubber plug into the raw water intake grate. It’s located below the level of the port inner cage guide on, which was good design of the trailer.

Over many years, we have found that the very best way to winterize all boat systems is to trailer it to the Florida Keys and stay on it there until temperatures in Pensacola become tolerable for normal human beings.

Hope this is helpful,

John

tparrent

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2021 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just stepped outside to try and trace the hose.

39 degree temperature chased me right back in!

I think it’ll hold unto morning.

Water was glass today so I set some speed records. Weather is supposed to get sporty tomorrow so I’ll find out how this boat handles the wind. So far, the boat is perfect.

The dock master was all agog over the boat. Sure is satisfying when everyone wants to look at our little boats rather the floating palaces.
tparrent

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2021 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Against all odds, I found the raw water washdown pump!

[img]http://www.c-brats.com/modules.php?set_albumName=album1224&id=raw_water_pump&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_photo.php[/img]

The thru hull was, indeed closed and will likely remain that way until I sell the boat. I could not figure out how to winterize it but it seemed dry as a bone to me so I'm just not going to worry about it!

Thanks for the help.

(Someday I'll get that image posting trick right)
JamesTXSD

City/Region: from island boy to desert dweller
State or Province: AZ
C-Dory Year: 2007
Vessel Name: "Wild Blue" (sold 9/14)
Photos: Wild Blue
PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2021 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here ya go...

journey on

City/Region: Valley Centre
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: journey on
Photos: Journey On
PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2021 11:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, I'll defend the washdown capability. It's not useless and don't pull it out.

We use it on Journey On to wash the anchor rode when we pull it up. This keeps a lot of sand/mud/crap from falling on the anchor windlass and into the anchor locker.

Is that useful? Well, last time out we anchored in San Diego Bay for a couple of hours and pulled the anchor up without washing down. There was so much mud left on the rode that I pulled it out of the anchor locker and washed it on the driveway.

So, use the washdown when you're pulling up the anchor.

Boris
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: