The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

05/13 - 05/16 - Friday Harbor CBGT 2021
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 11, 12, 13  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> C-Brat Cruises and Gatherings
View previous topic :: View next topic  
starcrafttom

City/Region: marysville
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 1984
C-Dory Model: 27 Cruiser
Vessel Name: to be decided later
Photos: Susan E
PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2021 11:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sunday at 9pm . Just got home from week on the water. Great weather. Fishing was great. Ended up with 10 ling in the box, released about 6 that were to big or too small. Lost another 10 plus on the way to the boat. Some crazy ling attacks at the boat from lings following bait up. Happened 3 times this week. Gathering was a blast. New faces and some old faces we had not seen in a while. Great party.
R-Matey

City/Region: Bow
Vessel Name: R-Matey
Photos: R-Matey
PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2021 11:48 am    Post subject: FHCBGT 2021 Reply with quote

We had a great time at Friday Harbor this weekend. Lots of sunshine and smiling faces. We love seeing all the new C-Brats and all the old timers, too!

Not enough cake!

I got a good scientific hug that Susan had been saving just for me! Susan is my favorite scientist!
I could go on and on and mention each and everyone ---- but not enough cake!!
Next year a more and bigger cake!

Joe and Ruth
R-Matey
C-Brats #23

PS: A special thanks to Harvey and to all of you who attended and made it such a great weekend.

2010 R25SC Tug (Mar 2010 - Sold Oct 2013)
1993 22 Cruiser (Jan 2014 - Sold March 2023)
Aurelia

City/Region: Gig Harbor
Photos: Aurelia
PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2021 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great time and here are some shots from the air for your enjoyment. You can download anything you like direct from the pic.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/yH53VRw324ak6ypg9

Greg

Ari - 19 Cruiser sold 2023
currently exploring with "Lia", 17 ft Bullfrog Supersport Pilothouse
DayBreak

City/Region: Monmouth, Or.
State or Province: OR
C-Dory Year: 2018
C-Dory Model: 23 Venture
Vessel Name: DayBreak
Photos: DayBreak
PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2021 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Greg for taking the time and effort to do these areal photos. Nice perspective and visual for the entire C-Dory fleet. We had a great time at the gathering and look forward to doing it again next year.

P.S. Thank you Joe and Ruth for the cake. I had a piece and it was really good. Cake Surprised

DayBreak

City/Region: Monmouth, Or.
State or Province: OR
C-Dory Year: 2018
Vessel Name: DayBreak
Photos: DayBreak
PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2021 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh. How can I forget Tom and Susan who caught and cooked fresh Lingcod for everyone to eat during the pre-event and the last night of the gathering. That was tasty. You guys are great cooks. Thank you for sharing your catch.
JamesTXSD

City/Region: from island boy to desert dweller
State or Province: AZ
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: "Wild Blue" (sold 9/14)
Photos: Wild Blue
PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2021 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like a good time! I do miss that area and this gathering.

Question for Greg: Who did you contact to get permission to fly a drone so close to the airport? My "little" drone is a Mavic Mini, and it won't authorize take-off within 5 miles of an airport. Great images, btw.
Pat Anderson

City/Region: Birch Bay, WA
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: Daydream
Photos: Daydream and Crabby Lou
PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2021 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We had a wonderful four days catching up with old friends and making new ones! We spent our last night out on the dock at Sucia - only a couple of boats there. Crossing the Strait of Georgia coming home this morning was, shall we say, very interesting! Daydream is now tucked away in her slip at Blaine Marina, has been well hosed off with Salt Away, and the big Suzi has been flushed (via the flush port) with Salt Away! Hopefully we can get back to potluck on the Party Barge for 2022!

DAYDREAM - CD25 Cruiser
CRABBY LOU - CD16 Angler (sold 2020)
Pat & Patty Anderson, C-Brat #62!
http://daydreamsloop.blogspot.com

Salmon Fisher

City/Region: Arlington
C-Dory Year: 2004
Vessel Name: Kim Christine
Photos: Kim Christine
PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2021 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you Harvey for organizing another fantastic Friday Harbor CBGT!

Currently at the dock with Lochsa, SeaSpray, Rick and Karen on Tomcat at Jones Island.

Sure was fun meeting new friends and connecting with old friends.
Love our C-Brat Community!

Great cake Ruth!

2004 25 Cruiser-Present

2000 22 Cruiser 2009-2014 (Sold)
2006 25 Cruiser 2014-2019 (Sold)
1985 22 Classic -2019 (Sold)
1991 19 Arima Sea Ranger-2019-2021 (Sold)
2015 27 Ranger Tug-2019-2023 (Sold)
1987 22 Cruiser -2021-2023 (Sold)

Honey, this REALLY will be my last boat, honest!
Aurelia

City/Region: Gig Harbor
Photos: Aurelia
PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2021 11:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JamesTXSD wrote:

Question for Greg: Who did you contact to get permission to fly a drone so close to the airport? My "little" drone is a Mavic Mini, and it won't authorize take-off within 5 miles of an airport. Great images, btw.

Nobody Jim, as the rules have changed a bunch again in the last year, plus I manage a whole fleet of the devices for the Government now, and fly under a commercial license at all times which follows airspace rules instead of the older proximity rules. With a DJI device in that location, only the DJI geozone warning gets in the way of part 107 operation, and there is a brief electronic authorization process built into the Fly app you can go through on the spot to activate in protected zones. These are not FAA restrictions, just "flysafe" area hurdles that I don't mind having in place. The drone I use personally is a Mavic Air 2 with an airsense ADS -B receiver built-in, so I have the added ability to see the air traffic in the area live on my flight screen. A few years back I flew a little for fun, now it consumes about half of work time supporting 14 pilots and 15 platforms year-round.

Greg
Pat Anderson

City/Region: Birch Bay, WA
Vessel Name: Daydream
Photos: Daydream and Crabby Lou
PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2021 9:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A couple of hours after we got home, I saw that NOAA had posted a Small Craft Advisory! Glad we didn't dally at Sucia too long! It was rough enough crossing the Strait of Georgia as it was!
Catman

City/Region: Seattle
C-Dory Year: 2017
Vessel Name: Songbird (Bambina, 16')
Photos: Bambina
PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2021 10:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pat, it's good you scooted home before the wind gathered more momentum. The forecast on Saturday called for small craft warnings by 3 p.m. Sunday. I want to know how Sunday's Strait of Juan de Fuca crossers made out.

We really hit the weather jackpot last week! This week in Seattle it's been windy, rainy, and intermittently sunny--nothing like the luxurious, summer-like splendor we absorbed last week. That fun-filled week is one I'll long remember, especially given the isolation we endured last year. But in addition to our well-loved boats, the places they take us, and the delight and discovery they bring, it's all of you who make these experiences most memorable.

It was great to reconnect with long-timers Joe and Ruth, Al and Karen, Pat and Patty, Tom and Susan, Greg, Cindy and Aven, Peter and Caryn, Dwight, Patrick and Kim, Tim, David on Alyssa Jean, and Captain Twins, Harvey, who spearheaded this year's event with his leadership and enthusiasm. My former boat, 16' Bambina, made an appearance as well, when MikeR and his buddy motored on in for a visit. And to all the relative newbies, thank you for taking the time to attend C-Brat Friday Harbor 2021. You're all such a welcome addition to our casual coterie. Steve and Joanie, thank you for looking after me and providing gourmet fare that transcended my standard peanut butter and jelly sandwich cuisine. Just know that like the neighbor's cat, I'll be back again come dinnertime. Finally, I got a chance to meet our newest Brock and his family. You'll be able to distinguish us without notes or social aids. Brock 2.0 is six inches taller, 25 years younger, and looks like he just popped in from Central Casting.
Thanks, everyone, for helping to make the whole week so special!
smckean (Tosca)

City/Region: Guemes Island (Anacortes)
Vessel Name: Tosca
Photos: Tosca
PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2021 11:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

catman wrote:
We really hit the weather jackpot last week! This week in Seattle it's been windy, rainy, and intermittently sunny--nothing like the luxurious, summer-like splendor we absorbed last week. That fun-filled week is one I'll long remember, especially given the isolation we endured last year. But in addition to our well-loved boats, the places they take us, and the delight and discovery they bring, it's all of you who make these experiences most memorable.

BINGO!!!

Brock, you hit the nail on the head with the above words. Kathy and I had a great time. Naturally, with boats, mood and enjoyment depend greatly on the weather.....and did Neptune bring it?.....He sure did!

jkidd

City/Region: Northern, Utah
State or Province: UT
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Voyager
Photos: Voyager (JK)
PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2021 12:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JamesTXSD wrote:

Last time I was there the docks were a no fly zone because of the sea planes and it would not let me fly. I think only the DJI branded ones have the problem because of their geo fencing.

jkidd

City/Region: Northern, Utah
State or Province: UT
Vessel Name: Voyager
Photos: Voyager (JK)
PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2021 1:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aurelia wrote:
JamesTXSD wrote:

Nobody Jim, as the rules have changed a bunch again in the last year, plus I manage a whole fleet of the devices for the Government now, and fly under a commercial license at all times which follows airspace rules instead of the older proximity rules. With a DJI device in that location, only the DJI geozone warning gets in the way of part 107 operation, and there is a brief electronic authorization process built into the Fly app you can go through on the spot to activate in protected zones. These are not FAA restrictions, just "flysafe" area hurdles that I don't mind having in place. The drone I use personally is a Mavic Air 2 with an airsense ADS -B receiver built-in, so I have the added ability to see the air traffic in the area live on my flight screen. A few years back I flew a little for fun, now it consumes about half of work time supporting 14 pilots and 15 platforms year-round.

Greg

Good to know. I get notifications of planes close to me with the Mavic 2 Pro and my Mavic Air 2.
hardee

City/Region: Sequim
Vessel Name: Sleepy-C
Photos: SleepyC
PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2021 2:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What a great time. Loved getting to see everyone. Thanks to to everyone for dealing with the Covid protocols on the dock, and it was really great to see all the vacc stickers, (Thanks Steve) and above all for all the smiles and greetings along the way.

Ruth, If you bring an octagon shape cake you can get more corners. And thank you so much for bringing that one and making a reason to get together.

Thank you to all for the Seal Rock. New name will be Rocky and he will be with me on the boat to remind me of all of you.

AS to the trip across Juan de Fuca. It was an early trip, 0430 off the dock, with DayBreak and Happy Endings following SleepyC. By the time we made Turn Island marker we were into the fog with visibility varying from 100 feet to 1/4 mile. (That kind of condition always make me thankful for AIS and Radar and in flat water, auto pilot). We met a WA State ferry 0.2 miles to port and never had a visual contact but confirmed via VHF that we were on both his radar and AIS. Another vessel that failed to identify announced we were dead ahead and then 1 point of the bow, so we headed as close to the big rock as was comfortable until it passed, then we were off to Cattle Pass.

The soup continued, and the waves built as we cleared the pass. The waves were all left-overs from the wind the night before, mostly 2 - 4 foot, but as usual, always on the beam. We worked our way upstream from the ebb flow out of Cattle, and then turned to cross the 25 miles of wave soup. Some of it was jog and slog, some just scoot towards the 180 degree goal. This was not like my 1.5 hour crossing on flat blue water on the way over, but it was doable at 8-11 knots and keeping visual contact. The fog did not let up, but after making the protection of the Dungeness Spit, the water went flat and we were able to run in at a real "on plane" cruise, speed depending on the fog. It was nice to get a visual on the Sequim Bay outer marker and round that for the home stretch. The John Wayne dock and shuttle trick came off without a hitch thanks to Doug (Susan Marie) and and we are all home safe and sound now, boats clean and ready to think about a new adventure.

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> C-Brat Cruises and Gatherings All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 11, 12, 13  Next
Page 12 of 13

Jump to: