The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

05/13 - 05/16 - Friday Harbor CBGT 2021
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 11, 12, 13  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> C-Brat Cruises and Gatherings
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DayBreak

City/Region: Monmouth, Or.
State or Province: OR
C-Dory Year: 2018
C-Dory Model: 23 Venture
Vessel Name: DayBreak
Photos: DayBreak
PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2021 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

drbridge wrote:

Welcome to the C-Brats Carlyle. We are from Sequim and we cross the Strait to the San Juans several times a year. If we are able to go to the Friday Harbor gig you would be welcome to join us for the crossing. Congratulations on your new boat.

Doug and Susan,

We have always wanted to cross the Strait from Sequim (John Wayne Marina) in travel to the annual Friday Harbor C-Brats get-together. Seas and weather permitting, this makes me think; maybe we can have a C-Brats group travel together at a set time for a crossing? Maybe it wouldn't work but if it could, it would be a lot of fun to cross the Strait as a group and arrive together at FH. It would take a little planning which could be done with PM (personal C-Brats messages.)

Gary and Colleen.

ricka

City/Region: Yreka
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 2020
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Photos: ricka
PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2021 11:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Harvey,
Kerry and I would also be interested in attending. We are new to C brats as of last year and would enjoy meeting others from the group.
Rick A

1976 ORION TRIHULL 15
1984 BOSTON WHALER 17 MONTAUK
1996 BOSTON WHALER 21 CONQUEST
2006 BOSTON WHALER 17 MONTAUK
ricka

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2021 11:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We would also like to launch from Sequim. Does anyone know what the long term parking options are there?
We will most likely plan on being in the area for a couple of weeks.
It will be the first salt water multi night trip on our new C Dory.
We are still waiting for our Covid shots as Yreka just received our first 850 and it sounded like it was a real cluster *^#+
drbridge

City/Region: Sequim
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2004
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Susan Marie
Photos: Susan Marie
PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2021 11:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DayBreak wrote:
drbridge wrote:

Welcome to the C-Brats Carlyle. We are from Sequim and we cross the Strait to the San Juans several times a year. If we are able to go to the Friday Harbor gig you would be welcome to join us for the crossing. Congratulations on your new boat.

Doug and Susan,

We have always wanted to cross the Strait from Sequim (John Wayne Marina) in travel to the annual Friday Harbor C-Brats get-together. Seas and weather permitting, this makes me think; maybe we can have a C-Brats group travel together at a set time for a crossing? Maybe it wouldn't work but if it could, it would be a lot of fun to cross the Strait as a group and arrive together at FH. It would take a little planning which could be done with PM (personal C-Brats messages.)

Gary and Colleen.

Any Time we are crossing we would be happy to have company. The thing that you need to understand about crossing the Strait of Juan De Fuca, is you can pick a day and time you want to cross, but the Strait dictates if you will be able to keep that date or not. This body of water should only be navigated by a C-Dory when conditions are right. When planning a trip you must allow youself extra time both coming and going, because you may need to wait for the appropriate conditions to cross. Living in Sequim makes this easier for us. We get everything ready to go and if conditions are to harsh we wait until they are good and then launch and go. The same is true for returning. you have to allow extra time in case you have to wait out the weather. Now that we are retired that is much less of a problem than when we had to schedule vacation time months in advance.

Montana Salty

City/Region: BITTERROOT VALLEY MONTANA
State or Province: MT
C-Dory Year: 2001
Vessel Name: SALTY
Photos: Salty
PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2021 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Salty will be there.....can't wait! Along with our newest crew member, Piper. I hope to find a doggie life vest small enough to fit her.

Lovin' Our C Dory!
Larry Carter

City/Region: Port Ludlow
C-Dory Year: 1988
PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2021 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bugsy and I will be there.....weather permitting. Coming from Port Ludlow, WA
hardee

C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: Sleepy-C
Photos: SleepyC
PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2021 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WOW, take a day off and the place just blossoms. New owners, flotilla from Sequim, and welcomes from across the country. Yahoooo Exclamation Exclamation Exclamation

Last year I planned a Pre FH-CBGT cruise from Coronet Bay to FH, leaving the Park at C-Bay on Sunday and taking a San Juan Introduction cruise, including a couple of park docks, anchoring and glimpse into the island ferry traffic.

Might do the same again this year OR .... ? ? ?

We did a group cruise from Sequim Bay one time. As Doug noted, Crossing the Strait of Juan is based on it's attitude at the time. The calendar really doesn't have much influence there, but, there are some things that can be done to mitigate the experience, even if we have to get up before breakfast.

More on all that later. Really good to see all this interest.

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

from that group crossing

clayhubler

City/Region: La Center
C-Dory Year: 2003
Vessel Name: Hammerhead
Photos: Hammerhead
PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2021 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just curious if there are going to be any classes/ seminars like in past years? I would love to attend, but if I don't get all my repairs done on Hammerhead, I don't know if I will be able to make it. Staying in hotels doesn't appeal to me. But if there is valuable info to be learned...
robhwa

City/Region: Anderson Island
Vessel Name: Marcia C
Photos: Problemadela
PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2021 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hardee wrote:

We did a group cruise from Sequim Bay one time. As Doug noted, Crossing the Strait of Juan is based on it's attitude at the time. The calendar really doesn't have much influence there, but, there are some things that can be done to mitigate the experience, even if we have to get up before breakfast.

Well, Halibut season has been announced, and the first (May 13) and last (May 16) day allocated for Friday Harbor are 2 of the precious 7 days available for Halibut. This works well for me, as I intend to try Dallas Bank, weather permitting. We'll probably anchor in Sequim Bay May 12 and then fish a bit May 13 and then to Friday Harbor, and leave a bit early to fish May 16 if all goes well. See all of you there, and "fish and chips" are on me if we connect on May 13.

Will there be a party in Sequim Bay May 12? If the straits aren't cooperating we may not get out of Sequim Bay for a while anyway! I've seen glassy times, and times when I thought I might die...could write a song about Wanda Fuca.
ricka

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2021 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If all works out , we have made plans to start driving up from Yreka on May 8th arriving in Sequim by the 9th.
Would really appreciate crossing with those that are familiar with the area.
We plan on bringing fishing gear also as we will be in the island area for a couple of weeks, I will need to research to see what's open for a non res. lic.
The last time we boated in the San Juan Island area was back in 1998. We had our brand new Boston Whaler Conquest with an Evinrude E Tech engine on it which decided to seize on our 2nd day so we didn't get to enjoy much.
robhwa

City/Region: Anderson Island
Vessel Name: Marcia C
Photos: Problemadela
PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2021 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ricka wrote:
... I will need to research to see what's open for a non res. lic.

Here are the basic regs...
https://wdfw.wa.gov/fishing
Licenses in WA are moderately priced for non-residents vs. residents, and non-residents can get a 1, 2 or 3 day temporary license.
https://wdfw.wa.gov/licenses/fishing/types-fees

Of special note would be halibut fishing in the Straits (of Juan de Fuca). In past years I've anchored in Sequim Bay, and there will be a large flotilla leaving morning from there on open days. There are only 7 days (Thursdays and Sundays in May) this year, and two are the first and last days of the C-Dory meeting. I'll try to fish both days.

I'll probably charter out of Westport one or two of the other days. I like halibut. Fishing the Straits can work, but is much less productive then the coast. If you get a really big one, 100+ lb, it is advised to harpoon it. Halibut are powerful fish, and go crazy when stuck. Some people shoot them, which works. Trying to net or gaff can wind up with loss of the net or gaff and you in the water. Ask me how I know.

If you are this lucky and have no halibut harpoon, you could radio and ask for someone to come by with a harpoon. There will likely be dozens of other people watching you. When I lost such a fish on my first day ever halibut fishing, a boat actually came up to us and told us how we should have handled such a fish.

You'll typically fish in 200+ ft of water, and you sometimes need fairly heavy gear (16-24 oz) to reach the bottom, depending on drift.

There is a lot on the web on gear.

If you fish the Straits, go for the shallower "banks" among the depths, like Dallas Bank, pay attention to your drift, and keep in mind some very large shipping boats will be in the shipping lanes. You must avoid them. There is a good chance the county sherriff will check for your license and barbless hooks. If you are wearing your life jacket, chances are far less you will be checked. My dealings with the sherriff have been brief and polite, and usually end with "good luck and thanks".
Salmon Fisher

City/Region: Arlington
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Kim Christine
Photos: Kim Christine
PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2021 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is a link to 2021 Halibut Regs:

https://wdfw.wa.gov/fishing/regulations/halibut/puget-sound

I copied and pasted a couple of parts of the link for reference.

2021 preliminary halibut seasons

2021 season dates are preliminary until adopted into federal regulation, however, these dates are good for planning purposes. Pacific halibut are quota managed, days open are dependent on available quota and Marine Areas will close when the quota is projected to be obtained. The following is intended to show the proposed season structure, but season dates are not guaranteed to be open.

Marine Areas 6 - 10
To protect yelloweye rockfish, the retention of lingcod and Pacific cod is not permitted while fishing for halibut deeper than 120 feet in Marine Areas 6 - 10

April 22 through May 22, three days per week, Thursday, Friday, Saturday

Memorial Day weekend, open Friday, through Sunday, May 28, 29, and 30

June 3 through June 26, three days per week, Thursday, Friday, Saturday

2004 25 Cruiser-Present

2000 22 Cruiser 2009-2014 (Sold)
2006 25 Cruiser 2014-2019 (Sold)
1985 22 Classic -2019 (Sold)
1991 19 Arima Sea Ranger-2019-2021 (Sold)
2015 27 Ranger Tug-2019-2023 (Sold)
1987 22 Cruiser -2021-2023 (Sold)

Honey, this REALLY will be my last boat, honest!
ricka

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2021 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

robhwa and Salmon fisher,
Thanks for the info and links.
I will buy a harpoon before we arrive. We do have a little experience with Halibut. We spent three weeks up at Anchor Point Alaska one year fishing for them and did very good. My largest was 165# which we shot and harpooned twice with two floats. We shot him or her with a 25 auto which just seemed to piss him off a little bit. The older friend I was fishing with ended up with cracked ribs trying to help me get it in the boat.
Cant wait to do it again!
drbridge

Vessel Name: Susan Marie
Photos: Susan Marie
PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2021 11:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ricka wrote:
We would also like to launch from Sequim. Does anyone know what the long term parking options are there?
We will most likely plan on being in the area for a couple of weeks.
It will be the first salt water multi night trip on our new C Dory.
We are still waiting for our Covid shots as Yreka just received our first 850 and it sounded like it was a real cluster *^#+

We don't know of any long term parking near the Marina. They have a 72 hour limit and it will be packed since this is a halibut opener. If the event goes as planned, we can accommodate parking for several rigs on our property about 10 minutes from John Wayne Marina for those that might want to take the Sequim Bay to Friday Harbor route. We can assist with shuttle if we are around at the time. If not you could use a taxi.
ricka

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2021 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doug And Susan,
Your long term parking offer is greatly appreciated! Just to make sure your ok with the length of our rig and trailer it is close to 50'. I have a couple of pictures on my photo album page from when we picked the boat up.
Are you planning on the Friday Harbor function as well?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> C-Brat Cruises and Gatherings All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 11, 12, 13  Next
Page 4 of 13

Jump to: