City/Region: Anderson Island
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2003
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Marcia C
Photos: Problemadela
PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2021 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

alainP wrote:
Would the Garmin Explorer 66i be a good choice or would another model be preferable? A friend is offering a used one at an attractive price.

Can't comment unless I've used it, and you don't say which it is.

REI shows six options with good reviews:

https://www.rei.com/search?q=satellite+messengers&pagesize=90

Some more reviews:

https://www.outdoorgearlab.com/topics/camping-and-hiking/best-personal-locator-beacon

I have used several in my remote research, starting I think with DeLorme's model when they first came out. DeLorme was later bought by Garmin. They all worked well, initially just sending messages, but later sending and receiving.

I like the 66i because it also has a really good GPS and several map options (i.e. Appalachian trail, hunting with GMU boundaries, Puget fishing areas). You could get by with only the Garmin 66i (two way messenger, GPS and emergency beacon). I often JUST carry this backpacking, climbing and hunting, and when traveling so I can let my wife know I am OK. It will send and receive texts anywhere in the world. It will not work in caves, deep ravines, and in buildings.

BTW; if just communicating with friends nearby is your goal, maybe a few miles max, the Garmin Rhino has worked well for me. It is quick and easy to use, and you can talk ad infinitum, usually clearly if nearby, and also see on a map where the person you are talking to is. It is NOT a VHS radio, and can't serve as an emergency beacon. But it is a load of fun.

https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/p/533999
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2021 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent remarks. One clarification, is that the DSC portable radio, as well as fixed, is a digital signal, and not subject to ambient noise conditions. The digital signal is repeated and the system, generally fills in any gaps during the transmission.

The combination of Garmin GPS/plotting along with the satellite communication is a fantastic feature. But if my life were on the line, I would choose the PLB...

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
Baxter

City/Region: Sheridan
State or Province: WY
C-Dory Year: 2006
C-Dory Model: 23 Venture
Vessel Name: Baxter ll
PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2021 2:54 pm    Post subject: VHF in Kayak. Reply with quote

Height more important than power. I have used 2 mts gear in canoes with a 6’ antenna over the years successfully, since 1960s. Marine VH F has similar
Properties. As a side comment boats that put there antennas tilted back to look cool are reducing effectiveness. Vertical is best.

I also carry a SPOt for rescue as is satellite based. And with deluxe model
Can text.

Also always monitor 16 underway. Someone may hear a distress call
Better than CoastGuard. We have two fill power radio on Baxter with two antennas. One radio always on CH 16.

Be safe and enjoy trip.

Craig

robhwa

City/Region: Anderson Island
C-Dory Year: 2003
Vessel Name: Marcia C
Photos: Problemadela
PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2021 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thataway wrote:

The combination of Garmin GPS/plotting along with the satellite communication is a fantastic feature. But if my life were on the line, I would choose the PLB...

Absolutely correct, Bob. In a "life-or-death" emergency, a Garmin emergency call goes to Garmin first. Garmin requires a subscription, $14.95/month minimum.

For a couple hundred dollars, way less than a Garmin 66i, or way more, depending on model, a SARSAT PLB, EPIRB or ELT (aviation)...

https://www.sarsat.noaa.gov/cospas_sarsat.html

requires no subscription.

This is the one I wear on my PFD...

https://www.solidsignal.com/ocean-signal-ais-emergency-rescue-gps-personal-locator-beacon-740s-01551?utm_source=google&utm_medium=cse&utm_term=740S-01551&gclid=Cj0KCQiA0fr_BRDaARIsAABw4EsDf4QmpN1TcV8v5D99O1SAafngzEfl5jZ0BaEAb636AY_lzwUuIc8aAh-gEALw_wcB

It also has a strobe light. My trawler-neighbor friends have one that will deploy automatically, and float if they can't get to it to activate it. I haven't sprung for one of those.

Probably the highest-level emergency call will get a similar response (my opinion) for the Garmin or SARSAT.

My problem with SARSAT-only is that you only have the ultimate emergency, all-out option. If I have a sprained ankle hiking, minor shoulder injury kayaking, or similar problem, I still need help, but not the highest level.

The Garmin texting will give me a "soft emergency" option to ask for help and explain what I need, say "search-and-rescue" volunteers to come and help me descend a mountain, or give me a boat ride to a ramp rather than bring out helicopters and EMTs.
thataway

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2021 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Life or death, survival: PLB, EPRIB

Non life threating, then one of the private services. I would put Sat phone at the bottom of the heap for rescue...

HOWEVER: a sprained ankle, and no help, and unprepared camper can equal death from hypothermia...a MOB, in cold water soon also because a hypothermia. Issue.

Most of SatSar activations are false calls. For 700 for 2018.
tomherrick

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2021 12:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looking at PLB options, I've also run across Spot, which appears to be a cross between a PLB and a sat phone. Budget-wise it seems to be in the neighborhood of most well-reviewed PLBs. Plus, one can communicate directly with responders, albeit with slow-ish send and receive functions according to a number of reviewers. The breadcrumb function is apparently user-definable based on time and can be sent to one's contacts.

At the moment, I'm leaning toward a Spot X but am continuing to research online. But, I thought I'd see what more seasoned recreational mariners have to say in this forum.

Your thoughts???
Baxter

City/Region: Sheridan
State or Province: WY
C-Dory Year: 2006
C-Dory Model: 23 Venture
Vessel Name: Baxter ll
PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2021 12:21 pm    Post subject: Spot locator Reply with quote

Though I have spot. I have high regard for Garmin equipment
They are newer in market.
tomherrick

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2021 12:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Garmin... Having been born in Kansas, I want to like them. While I can't fault the quality of their equipment, I found their documentation, user interface on their devices, website, and customer/technical service to be woefully lacking and, frankly, irritating. If one isn't already an accomplished user, they don't seem to be willing to be helpful.

I'll stop my rant there, but I can't see myself dealing with that company again. Many others here, and elsewhere, are very satisfied customers, but I'll go elsewhere.
thataway

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2021 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I cannot comment on the Garmin products currently. In the past I have not had any issues. Inreach prior to the Garmin acquisition, was better regarded than Spot with reliability and connectivity.

I might just go with the Inreach designed product.

If you really want life saving function then the PLB is far better since there is a very well established chain of command, and SAR connection protocol. Where Spot and Inreach have fallen down in the past, was in calling the appropriate SAR agency. Hopefully that is resolved. The SAR will occur with the ERPIB or PLB. The hand held radio, I would still spring the extra $100 and get a HX 890 over cheaper radios without DSC.
kennharriet

City/Region: Grangeville
State or Province: ID
C-Dory Year: 1999
Vessel Name: Lochsa
Photos: Lochsa
PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2021 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Prairie boy, The VHF, PLB and In-Reach are all good but different tools. You might consider all three at some point. Bob nailed it. The PLB is the best tool in a real life/death emergency. Other attributes of the PLB no other device offers is 5-7 year battery life and duel transmit on 406 MHz and 121.5 MHz so the rescue aircraft can hon in on your location. We use the In-reach a lot and change plans seasonally. I like that you can text device to device at no cost, if you at least have the basic safety plan.

Sorry I know your original post was about VHF radios. Ken
tomherrick

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2021 9:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, Ken,

Yeah, it started with VHF but thanks to the folks here and on other forums the thread grew and I certainly am learning a lot - enough to cause more questions... Hopefully, others will as well.

In general I get that the tools you mentioned are different, but there seems - to this novice - to be some overlap in functionality with some of them. Are a VHF DSC and a PLB redundant in functionality? Are they both calling the same SAR units? Are they both calling different SAR units simultaneously for the same event if I push the "SOS" buttons on each device, causing more units to be deployed for a single event? Or, should one have both VHF DSC and a PLB to enhance the likelihood of the full cavalry in response?

Thanks,

Novice...
thataway

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2021 10:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tomherrick wrote:
Hey, Ken,

Yeah, it started with VHF but thanks to the folks here and on other forums the thread grew and I certainly am learning a lot - enough to cause more questions... Hopefully, others will as well.

In general I get that the tools you mentioned are different, but there seems - to this novice - to be some overlap in functionality with some of them. Are a VHF DSC and a PLB redundant in functionality? Are they both calling the same SAR units? Are they both calling different SAR units simultaneously for the same event if I push the "SOS" buttons on each device, causing more units to be deployed for a single event? Or, should one have both VHF DSC and a PLB to enhance the likelihood of the full cavalry in response?

Thanks,

Novice...

The PLB is an emergency locator beacon, which goes directly to a satellite. The encoded message (if the unit is registered with NOAA) is matched with the owner. A PLLB is issued to an individual, and can be used on a variety of boats, hiking , amping skiing, off roading etc. The satellites are all virtually in "view" (as long as not blocked in some very narrow canyons, or under a cave etc From the satellite

The phone numbers in the register are called and the nearest SAR unit (land or sea, anywhere in the World) is alerted. I have heard of on the water response as fast as 30 minutes. This is world wide, and there are a data base of emergency providers. As noted the main satellite signal is 406 MHz. There is a secondary beacon at 121.5, which is the aircraft rescue frequency. It used to be all air craft ere to monitor this band, but I believe that is no longer the case. the 121.5 mhm signal is used for honing into the location. The lat and long are also included with the beacon message. So the SAR has a very precise location--of where the initial signal originate from. Updates are available in real time via the SAR center.

An EPIRB is similar, has a battery life of at least 48 hrs vs the 24 hours for the PLB, and is assigned only to one vessel. It should not be moved from vessel to vessel, except as you step up into your life raft. Neither of these should be used for anything other than very serious emergencies.

The VHF DSC is on channel 70 on the VHF radio--it is basically dependent on line of sight and other vessels being close enough to get the digital signal. It is earth bound, and only usable on boats. The digital signal will push thru when voice may not. The Boat is assigned an MMSI number (Free with membership in Boat US, and some other agencies). The MMSI number must be programed into the radio DSC. The red button sets off the radio DSC. " The radio will continue to send the message until someone acknowledges it. This message is fast (only 1/3 of a second), accurate, complete and automatic. It will continue to broadcast even if the skipper is incapacitated."

kennharriet

City/Region: Grangeville
State or Province: ID
C-Dory Year: 1999
Vessel Name: Lochsa
Photos: Lochsa
PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2021 12:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for that great explanation and graphic Bob. I believe another reason the PLB or EPIRB is the most reliable and robust system for real emergencies is because Rescue Coordination Centers are government funded and operated. I spent a few years providing aircraft crash survival training for Dept of Interior employees in AK and HI. If you activate a PLB, depending where you are, particularly in AK, you will get either a USCG vessel, helicopter/fixed wing, USAF C-130 with PJs or a National Guard UH-60 headed your way in short order. Rescue aircraft will have both your latitude/longitude and guidance from the 121.5 transmission. Many private aircraft and commercial airliners also monitor 121.5 and will report your distress to the FAA as a redundancy. As rescue gets close the PLB also has a strobe.

We use our In-Reach more for communication with friends and family. Before a boat trip or backcountry trip we share our tentative plans with trusted family or friends who know what to do if we are in need, then close out with them when back at the trailhead or marina. Even though the In-Reach will also transmit a 406 MHZ distress signal with my personal information, it is going to a privately operated for profit system that I have less confidence in. It will allow you the ability to two way text with their coordination center to provide them specific details of your need which the PLB will not do. I look at the In-Reach more as a tool to get help for some need less than a life or death emergency. For example, a mechanical problem where we are stuck but not in imminent danger. I can text a trusted friend who could contact someone to provide the help needed. Sheesh getting long winded. Ken
hardee

City/Region: Sequim
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: Sleepy-C
Photos: SleepyC
PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2021 2:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ken, That is a good combo, (PLB and In-Reach). I used SPOT with the tacking crumbs for several years.
It worked well, but for serious life threatening issue, the PLB and the Handheld VHF.

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

tomherrick

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2021 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I resized the image Bob included in his earlier response so I could grok the whole thing.

Here's a link to NOAA's Search and Rescue Satellite Aided Tracking web page:
https://www.sarsat.noaa.gov/

Last edited by tomherrick on Fri Jan 15, 2021 2:30 pm; edited 1 time in total
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Electronics All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: