The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Re-Power
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Outboards and Systems
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rcwass

City/Region: South Berwick
State or Province: ME
C-Dory Year: 1990
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Lorraine J
PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2006 8:50 pm    Post subject: Re-Power Reply with quote

My C-Dory is a 1990 22' Cruiser with a single 70HP 2-stroke Johnson of the same vintage. The engine is showing her age and eating gas. I'm looking to re-power with a 4-stroke. I've heard many pros and cons about single vs twin engines and would like to hear from C-Dory owners as to what works best for our 22' Cruisers. And any input on brands would be helpful.
SOLD IT. Bought my 1990 22' C-Dory Cruiser new in Fairfield CA. Lived in Vallejo CA. Fished the bays and the Sacramento River. Towed it across country in 1995 to Maryland. Lived in Tall Timbers MD and fished the Potomac River. Towed the C-Dory to Maine in 2001. Now settled and will be fishing the rivers, bays and Atlantic. Boats Name: Hunky Dory. Yes another "Hunky Dory".
Sealife

City/Region: Woodland Hills
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: SeaLife
Photos: SeaLife
PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2006 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My old Sealife 22' (Angler) had a 75 Merc when I first bought it. Was always troubled by it's tendency to yaw in following seas. After a couple of years use, I repowered with twin Suxuki 40s and found the problem gone. My new Sealife 22' Cruiser is equipped with twin Suzuki 50s and tracks like it's on rails. The old Sealife continues to serve it's new owner well, parked right next to me in the dry storage yard where we keep our boats. Out of four Suzuki engines, we have not had a single problem. They fire up instantly (fuel injected) run smoothly and quietly. And both sets of engines came with six (6) year warranties.
DodgeRam

City/Region: Vancouver Isl. CANADA
State or Province: BC
Vessel Name: SeaRam
Photos: SeaRam
PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2006 10:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Love my twin engines, like Mike says it like running on tracks , there is so many things you can do with twins that you can't do with single engine. And you got to admit they also make your boat look good from the back. Yes the cost a little more than just 1 engine or 1 engine and a kicker but to me it is worth every extra penny! Like RED FOX said our boats like to be tramson heavy, you also get twice the charging for your 2, 3, or 4 batteries. SEARAM
Salmon Slayer

City/Region: Juneau, Alaska
State or Province: AK
C-Dory Year: 1981
C-Dory Model: 22 Angler
Vessel Name: Holly May
Photos: Holly May
PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2006 12:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I repoweed to a single Suzuki 90hp 4 stroke last fall and love it. I previously had a 112 Johnson 2 stroke that was good but vibrated at low speed, was noisy, and didnt like the cold.

This is the second boat I have had with a Suzuki and have been very pleased with both. A single meets my requirements for simplicity and fuel economy and the charging capacity is excellent. I already had an almost new kicker so that was not an issue for me and on my 22' Angler, the weight balance is about perfect.

My wife and I travel to remote areas as often as we can and I feel safe with my combo of the 90hp and 9.9 kicker.

Where did all those years go?
rcwass

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2006 12:22 pm    Post subject: Re-Power Reply with quote

Thanks for your input. The tracking issue I've never considered but I have experienced the yaw with my single. It's an uncomfortable feeling. The waters I travel have a large current and a lot of boat traffic so with my single I'm all over the place.
El and Bill

City/Region: Lakewood, CO
State or Province: CO
C-Dory Year: 2000
Vessel Name: Halcyon
Photos: Halcyon
PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2006 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We had twin Honda 40's; finally wore out those gems; and repowered with identical Honda 40's. Cruised the Maine coast with the original two and they gave us the reliability and redundancy we wanted.
portvista

City/Region: Cape Coral
State or Province: FL
PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2006 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What kind of speed and RPM's are you getting with those twin 40's?

Seems you could get two 40's for the price of a 90.
rcwass

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2006 6:42 pm    Post subject: Re-Power Reply with quote

I appreciate the responses. I have an additional question. With twins, Is it necessary to have counter rotating props? Years ago I was told that this would eliminate a strong pull to the right. I haven't talk to dealers yet so this may be quite expensive and not worth the cost.
TyBoo

City/Region: Warrenton
State or Province: OR
C-Dory Year: 1996
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruise Ship
Vessel Name: TyBoo
Photos: TyBoo
PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2006 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The smaller outboards are not available with counter-rotating drives, at least off-the-shelf. While having zero experience with the things, I am inclined to believe those who say that with the props as near each other as they will be on a CD that the benefit would be negligible anyhow. I have watched B~C motor his twin 40s around quite a bit, and he seems to be all over the place and not just pulling to the right.
DodgeRam

City/Region: Vancouver Isl. CANADA
State or Province: BC
Vessel Name: SeaRam
Photos: SeaRam
PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2006 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Counter rotation is only available on higher HP engine , with the size of props that is used on 40s and 50s , with a boat that does only 29 to 31 mph you would not even notice the difference ,if you would have counter rotation . I can cruise sitting at the helm without hands on the wheel most of the time with no problem.
B~C

City/Region: Bend
State or Province: OR
C-Dory Year: 1999
Vessel Name: Blue~C
Photos: Blue~C
PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2006 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heck Mike, I have to zig and zag, if I just zigged it wouldn't work Smile The twin or single debate flares up on a pretty regular basis and it usually boils down to what ever makes a person happy. Both have their strengths and weeknesses. One bonus with the twins ( I always thought this was just peculiar to our boat but after talking to Bill at the show I find out otherwise) is that the starboard engine will run out of fuel well before the port engine. It's kind of nice to have that advanced warning before you totally lose power.
My $0.02 on brands, whatever brand has the best dealer support near you wins. They're all good.....fuel injection would be nice

Chris Bulovsky

City/Region: Washburn
State or Province: WI
C-Dory Year: 1998
Vessel Name: SCOUT
Photos: SCOUT
PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2006 10:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a 98 22' Cruiser that has a Honda 90 single with a 9.9 kicker. The system works well. The 90 can be a little cold starting below 40 F. Again if you think the twin thing is cool then do it. I like to fish so a kicker sipping gas and taking the hours seemed more reasonable to me vrs. the twins. As for brands I went with the Honda simply because they have been proven for at least 10 years to be dependable. Yep old technology.. but it works.
Some here are sentimentle about the old Johnson 70s. I personally do not have much nice to say about them. The ones I used never liked to idle.

Good luck
Chris Bulovsky
dogon dory

State or Province: AK
Vessel Name: DogOnDory
PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2006 12:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, Folks - Post Deleted By Author

Last edited by dogon dory on Sun Mar 02, 2008 6:30 pm; edited 1 time in total
portvista

City/Region: Cape Coral
State or Province: FL
PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2006 1:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"I have a 98 22' Cruiser that has a Honda 90 single with a 9.9 kicker."

That's good to know it's possible to mount a 9.9 on these. My parents already have a brand new 9.9 they used on a sailboat, and it's longshaft too...
Chris Bulovsky

City/Region: Washburn
State or Province: WI
C-Dory Year: 1998
Vessel Name: SCOUT
Photos: SCOUT
PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2006 1:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes it fits. You can check out my photo album to see it. Just click on the blue SCOUT to the left of this.

Chris Bulovsky
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Outboards and Systems All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5

Jump to: