View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ken O

City/Region: West Yellowstone
State or Province: MT
C-Dory Year: 1990
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Ravens' Roost
Photos: Ravens’ Roost
PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2021 3:24 pm    Post subject: Stainless flatware or silverware Reply with quote

Hey salt water people. Has anyone found flatware/silverware that is truly stainless? I know that lots of flatware labelled as stainless is 18/0 or some other cheap alloy that tends to rust anyway. I'm not into plastic. I see the same set sold at both West Marine and Defender. Defender says it is 18/10 (the good stuff), but one customer from who bought the same set from West Marine says that it rusted. Thanks!
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2021 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We have never really had an issue--pretty much the same utensils for many years--including over 100,000 miles of ocean cruising--at times wash with salt and rinse with fresh-dry well. I believe the set of "silverware" is USA made--probably 40 years or more old.
Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
gulfcoast john

City/Region: PENSACOLA
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2010
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: Cat O' Mine
Photos: CAT O' MINE
PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2021 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We're not into plastic, either, but use silverware from the BX or Walmart that is made, no doubt, in China. We replaced a set when forks started breaking but they didn't have rust. We use only fresh water to clean in the sink, and dry well. Some 'flatware' was used nine years on the Regal 26 then transferred to 8 years on the TC55, but no rust.

Even the very best SS can get 'crevice corrosion' where a 316 SS eye for example gets no O2 and some rust streaking. I don't think this is what your poster was seeing. We've heard lots of saltwater boat rust complaints over the years, before, but this is a new one!

Buy what you like, but worry more about the internal engine anodes in your outboard motor, if you absolutely must worry about something! Corrosion inside that costs much more to replace than Chinese forks.

Happy Shopping!
John

Peter & Judy

City/Region: Olds
State or Province: AB
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: Mistaya
Photos: Mistaya
PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2021 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

On Mistaya we only use the finest sterling silver table wear from Birks Jewellers that Judy inherited from her grandmother. It goes well with the Royal Dalton table setting and the Swarovski crystal that we like sip our Chateauneuf-du-Pape out of. We like to like to dress formally for dinner and pretend that we are on the Queen Mary.

Actually thinking about our silverware, it is a real assortment and came out of our camping box, which goes back to lost and found stuff that my dad collected as a Boy Scout leader decades ago. So far we have not had any trouble with rust, but if we did we would simply chuck it overboard and go to the camping box for more.

I hope this helps, have a good day. Laughing

HMCB Mistaya
"Mistaya" (Grizzly Bear in Cree)
HMCB (Her Majesties Cute Boat)
Ken O

City/Region: West Yellowstone
State or Province: MT
C-Dory Year: 1990
Vessel Name: Ravens' Roost
Photos: Ravens’ Roost
PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2021 12:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks folks. I agree about the engine anodes.

I learned long ago with a VW van:
Priority #1: Take care of the stuff that can kill you.
Priority #2: Take care of the stuff that can leave you stranded.
Priority #3: Take care of the fun stuff and everything else.

It sounds like rusty flatware isn't a big problem. I just don't like rust getting on everything. It seems to breed. I found a cache of spare household flatware that we haven't needed in 30 years. I think we're set.
robhwa

City/Region: Anderson Island
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2003
Vessel Name: Marcia C
Photos: Problemadela
PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2021 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Corrosion of stainless can be a problem, particularly if you wash and rinse with salt water and can't get things really dry, like after weeks of kayaking in salt water. I've moved to titanium there, but only a Ti spork from REI, and also to reduce weight in backpacking. After going through several dive knifes, I found a Ti one fixed that problem too. Ti doesn't seem to corrode at all.

With stainless, I haven't found corrosion to be a problem in my 22 galley, as I can ususally at least rinse with fresh water, and heat the galley, which keeps things dry.

All stainless steel is not created equally. Here is a good discussion of stainless...

https://theboatgalley.com/stainless-differences-galley/

If you feel the need to impress guests, and $ is not an issue, there are alternatives to plastic and steel. Napoleon used to impress guests with his lightweight flatware, made of aluminum. It was more expensive than gold at that time. I don't know if you can get Al flatware, but it likely won't be much better than plastic anyway. Ti is an option.

Here is a source for barely-affordable Ti from REI

https://www.rei.com/product/139477/toaks-titanium-3-piece-cutlery-set?sku=1394770001&store=69&cm_mmc=PLA_Google%7C21700000001700551_1394770001%7C92700057791412040%7CNB%7C71700000074090496&gclid=CjwKCAiA_9r_BRBZEiwAHZ_v1x5llYUwsyUbZJTijpqEtUqJDd9Rl9uGdSTiBYvwHy1i4Kbve28M8RoCH3QQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

Then, there is also the Lithium battery of tableware that might consume most of your $2000 check from the IRS....

https://www.theluxuryartmepra.com/linea-rainbow.html

Happy eating!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> The Galley All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: