The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

23 VENTURE INFO REQUEST

View previous topic :: View next topic  
PutNameHere

City/Region: Puget Sound
PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2021 5:46 pm    Post subject: 23 VENTURE INFO REQUEST Reply with quote

Hey all, I'm new to this forum and tried to find answers before posting but couldn't or missed them.

Regarding early production 23 Venture models in the 2006 to pre 2010 time frame;

1. Does the added V bottom make much difference in a chop and in speed/performance (calm or rough)?

2. What sort of cruise and max speeds along with fuel consumption should be expected with twin 60 hp 4 strokes vs a single 150?

3. Back then, was balsa core being used and has it been problematic in some boats?

4. Would most people prefer a large single or twin engine setup?

Feel free to PM if easier.

Thanks.
DayBreak

City/Region: Monmouth, Or.
State or Province: OR
C-Dory Year: 2018
C-Dory Model: 23 Venture
Vessel Name: DayBreak
Photos: DayBreak
PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2021 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PutNameHere,

Welcome to this site. Hope you find the C-Dory of your dreams. If you find a boat that looks good to you, make sure you get a proper marine survey and be prepared to act quickly as 23 Cape Cruisers or 23 Ventures don't come up very often for sale.

We are satisfied with 32 knots of top end speed with our 23 Venture and also are satisfied with how the boat handles in 2 to 3 ft. chop.

On your last question, we prefer a single for maintenance reasons and with a kicker up in the air as a stand-by in the event we loose our main and need to get back to shore, port or safety.

Baxter

City/Region: Sheridan
State or Province: WY
C-Dory Year: 2006
C-Dory Model: 23 Venture
Vessel Name: Baxter ll
PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2021 11:28 pm    Post subject: Venture 23 Reply with quote

Gary gave good answers. I know him from Friday Harbor event. Hope it comes off in 2021.

My Venture 2006 has twin 50’s bought used. Remember hull is completely different than 22’ or 25’. Those are very fine boats too. The 23 does have
A smoother ride most say. Mine came with twins and scarce to find boat.
They are Hondas. A single will have less drag and go fast. Mine have 750 hours, some are know to last 3000. Speed has lot to do with prop selection. Mine I run with 4 blade props for torque. Not a speed person. We cruise at about 15 knots. Get to see stuff and not burn fuel so fast. Will go 20’s with 4 blade.

If you ask mpg or hours you need to know wind, current, wave height,
Which of course changes all the time especially in Desolation Sound and Campbell River. I would guess average is about 5 mpg.

So you can start twin vs argument but bottom line is I like the twins.
Sure two oil changes etc. if I were buying new would have to think about it.

With single can get bigger alternator. But then with two there is redundancy.
I did hit log once and take our lower unit on one and the 50 got use home
In good time. I have two batteries, two alts., 60 gallons per f fuel. I almost never burn fuel with corn in it. On Chesapeake Bay Maryland will only allow
Alcohol in fuel.

Fuel is cheapest part of owning boat so I don’t get stressed just make sure have enough to get where I am going with reserve . The 23 launches well.

Depending on Covid this may be my last summer. Age and Heath issues catching us up. So may try to sell this season.

Note 2006 made by cape Cruier now out of business. Long story regarding rights when they sold C-dory with non-compete. C-Dory wound up with
The 23’ venture molds son-same boats.

Balsa core only issue I’d you hit something and puncture. I have not done this. If you do get or do proper repair. I have scratch Ed gel coat that is all.
Need to touch up n spring. The C-dories are light for volume. Keeps price reasonable, and lighter to two. It will take more rough water than most folks stomachs. We have been on East and west coast.

If getting used be sure to check trailer condition. When I bought mine
Wheels were all redone and I have since with salt and miles redone them last year. Did myself. Keep them greased and wash after launch if you can.
We launch at Santa Cortes Marina. They have lift so trailer stays out of salt.
Well worth the fee as far as I am concerned.

I love the 23’ and don’t mind using ports potti. 25 of course has enclosed bean but then need pump out.

There are no right or wrong answers on C-dory decide what is right for you.
They are fine boats and good value.

Hard to compare prices on 23 Venture used as few available. Two years ago
C-Dory factory said was currently most popular model

Seem to sell between 22’ and 25’. What else you want to know I have used mine 6 seasons. I like the twins but just a choice.

Ask if want to know more. CV

PutNameHere

City/Region: Puget Sound
PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2021 11:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the good information. The boats sound pretty good. I guess the only way to figure it all out is buy one and see how we like it. Seems like they have the most cabin space of boats that size and I do like full headroom. I'll have to digest your comments to come up with more questions.
Thanks again.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: