The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Radar wiring - install help
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Electrical and Wiring
View previous topic :: View next topic  
krc

City/Region: SF Bay Area
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 2006
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Photos: krc
PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2021 10:24 pm    Post subject: @Hunkydory... Reply with quote

Since you have the same radar, are you cutting the power line connector that is coming off of the radar itself? I didn't see any clear directions anywhere on taking off the connection that is attached to the radar itself (seems to go through some sort of rubber grommet). the connector is way to big for me to want to put that size of hole in the roof... So figure I am just getting rid of the round "connectors" that attach from the radome lead to the provided power line. What are you doing on your installation?
Hunkydory

City/Region: Cokeville, Wyoming
State or Province: WY
C-Dory Year: 2000
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Hunkydory
Photos: Hunkydory-Jay-and-Jolee
PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2021 11:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used this cable clam from Hodges Marine. Blue Sea Cableclam W/Stainless Steel Dress Cap - 1.40"
SKU: BLU1003100

The one it’s replacing is identical except for the stainless covering & has been on the boat with the old JVC radar for 20 years. In removing the old I noticed the hole had not been epoxied, but no water had touched the roof coring, so these clam shells do work well. The boat is outside here in Wyoming on a trailer during the winter & covered with a tarp & in the future, I want to easily remove the dome during the winter to remove the strain of snow on the top of the tarp from it & the clam shell & quick disconnect makes this easy.

If I was to cut the cable it would be to remove a section of the 45 feet between the plug from the dome to the power & off/on switch connection. The instructions say not to cut, so don’t think I will.

Jay

krc

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2021 9:39 pm    Post subject: Power cable through the clam? Reply with quote

And the clam was large enough to accommodate passing the connector itself through? I think for this cable it is okay to cut as it is power only and not transmitting and of the data where tuning may have been required. Another benefit of wifi.
Hunkydory

City/Region: Cokeville, Wyoming
State or Province: WY
C-Dory Year: 2000
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Hunkydory
Photos: Hunkydory-Jay-and-Jolee
PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2021 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, plenty of room for cable & the quick connect/disconnect & the clam shell comes off & on quickly too. I may go ahead & cut about 40 feet off the cable.
krc

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2021 10:46 pm    Post subject: Installed the radar... Reply with quote

So, radar is installed. Ended up being more work than I thought - mainly because I had to remember to bring all the right tools needed when I went down to the boat (about 30 min from my house). I used starboard to create a base that was large enough to fit the radar, and set the base to a 3.5deg slope. Maybe I should have gone 5-6 deg in retrospect - but it seems fine.

I installed a lighted switch for the radar that included a 5A fuse required by furuno. I did cut off all the connector ends and simply directly wired to the switch. I did leave another 10' or so coiled up in case I want to move radar to the aft in the future. I used a gland provided by seastar (iirc) that lets you drill more than one cable through the gland. It is not a split gland, however.

Took way more time than I expected - I figured this was a 1-2 hour job but it was more like 6-8 - mainly because of getting/remembering the right tools, finding parts last minute at ACE, etc... Starboard was picked up at Tap plastics and then I milled the wedge on my table saw at the 3deg angle

Photos are in my album.

Question: I left the anchor light in front of the radar. I am able to hook to my ipad and it "seems" to work but it is in the berth and so I need to take it out - hopefully this weekend - to test it out. Is the anchor light going to be okay in front? I have read mixed views on this... I do have a replacement anchor light, but hesitate to drill another hole in the roof, wire it down to the switch at the console, etc... Seems a lot of work if the current anchor light is "ok" in front of the radar.

Once I get it out on the water, I will get some pics of the ipad, etc...
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2021 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The anchor light will not cause any problems with the radar--the scanner width is 18" (As I remember the one your have), and there is only.a "Shadow" for an extremely short period of them--so the radar "sees" around it. Even sailboat masts are not an issue, of course depending on the cross section of the mast.

The light is well clear of the radar dome, looking at your photos--you are good to go--enjoy.

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
krc

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2021 9:01 pm    Post subject: Agreed... light a non-issue Reply with quote

Took it out on the delta today and didn't notice any interference or odd images coming from the anchor light. Good - less work. Smile
Radar seemed to do well, and didn't really notice any reflection issues with the ipad as I was inside (day was sunny) and just had it placed next to the steering wheel. So - seems good to go. I do hear it though when it is in "transmit" mode - so I suspect there is some vibration/sound migrating through the hull. Not loud and can't hear when underway.

I am using the furuno radar display app, but may try timezero so I can get a map overlay as well. Not critical - so not sure if I will spend the time/money/energy yet. We will see....

Poor fishing day...
thataway

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2021 12:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That "sounds good"--when the scanner is turning you will hear the slight sound and perhaps minor transferred vibration, which may be louder with direct cabin top. mount than on radar arch, or pedestal.

I prefer to have the radar separate--it forces you to look more carefully at the radar and compare it with the chart. "Is that a boat and a channel marker, or two boats" for example. In severely limited visibility, usually Marie watches the radar, and I do eyes on the water, with an occasional glance at the chart. Having the boat on auto pilot helps to keep the course true.

Does this radar have trails or color difference to delineate boats moving toward or away from you?
krc

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2021 1:31 pm    Post subject: furuno radar Reply with quote

thataway wrote:

Does this radar have trails or color difference to delineate boats moving toward or away from you?

As far as I can tell, no. There is some sort of echo stretch setting, but that is not the same as a bearing indicator of speed of an object. I was looking at a raymarine quantum radar that had the feature - much more expensive and would also require an MFD upgrade to support.

Frankly, just trying to get the bare minimum/cheapest option. I already had a gps/wifi compliant older ipad I don't really use. And, yeah, I probably will keep separate - but the timezero software for ios/mac looks very interesting. Seems like this stuff is used commercially if you look at their website, including sonar mapping, and a lot of nice "interplay" between devices.

If the weather looks bad, I just don't go out. But, I did get caught in a fog bank on the delta and literally could barely see in front of the windlass. Basically crawled along at a couple of knots - not fun. Hopefully, the radar will help in those conditions (not that I would go faster, but would be able to see what might be coming toward me!).
K
krc

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2021 1:50 pm    Post subject: RadarCosts Reply with quote

Radar: $855.00
iPad: Re-using an unused older ipad with GPS/wifi capability.
Switch: RSP-1W: White - One Switch (superbrightleds.com) $19.95 w 5A fuse (which I had to source separately).
Starboard: about $15 as I recall.

I did reinforce the back with blocking to screw the switch into. Used a jigsaw to cut the hole in the fiberglass - not pretty but ok.

One hold up was getting the correctly sized SS M10 length bolts so I could bolt through the 2" to 1.5" bracket I made. The lengths I needed are not generally available locally - so I used "nutty.com". Also a tube of boat seal.

Probably another $25 in odds/ends...

And, of course, TIME.
thataway

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2021 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We are so fortunate to have inexpensive Radar. But even with Radar, you still have to watch the depth, and where you are on the MFD, especially in the Delta.

How about going under Golden Gate with a strong flood, pea soup fog, many big ship prop and horns, No Radar or chart plotters, vs Radar, MFD and GPS. 1973 vs 2021..?

There was a "Radar Detector" which would show you the direction of radar impulses. You could not detect distance off however and only within 45* where the ship was. The cost of small boat Radar in the early 1970's was about the cost of a 30' new sailboat. You needed a lot of power, plus room for the cathode tube display.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Electrical and Wiring All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: