The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

More Battery Testing I dare you to watch the whole thing.
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Electrical and Wiring
View previous topic :: View next topic  
T.R. Bauer

City/Region: Wasilla
State or Province: AK
C-Dory Year: 1993
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: C-Whisperer
PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2021 9:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No question Li batteries are better and the video just reaffirms what others have shown as well. But, in actual usage, it is amazing how long commercial grade lead acid batteries will last that are made to be discharged over and over again. I got 11 years on NAPA 6V golf cart batteries in my motorhome before replacement, and I wasn't exactly easy on them in the usage department. But, they never were allowed to get corroded up, had water, always were charged, never over charged, and occasionally equalized/desulphated. I was also pretty careful about how far I let them go down, but never crazy about it and there were times they were below 50% after a long cold night with the furnace constantly coming on. I have boat buddies running 8D batts for about the same length of time - even longer. The point is, you can get a good value out of them with care. I really don't like how heavy the 8D batteries are! But, they are in boats where a heavy battery does not matter one bit. I get sticker shock looking at the Li batteries.
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2021 10:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The niche use for LiFePO4 batteries is where Light weight is important, many charge discharge cycles is important, where more power is important, where you can turn the battery in any position, including upside down, is important, where rapid charge, and discharge is important, where you can cycle betteen 30% and 90% of charge is important. where voltage is maintained until the last 10% of capacity is important. Where you do't or cannot check electrolyte level.

I have on occasion gotten 10 years out of batteries. However this is not the rule for most boaters. I don't advocate them for all boaters, and in our case it is more of an experiment in new technology rather than a necessity....but it is also nice to be able to run the refer/freezers for several days, without recharging if necessary, as well to have plenty of power to. run the microwave and induction burner, Yet be able to pump 40 amps back into each battery in a relative short period of time.

The cost is not that far off if you are buying either premium FLA or AGM batteries.

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
bshillam

City/Region: Bellingham
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 1981
Vessel Name: Heaven To Me
Photos: My Heaven
PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2021 12:51 pm    Post subject: LifePo Reply with quote

Next boat when it comes to replacement of house bank - for sure. After doing research I just love these batteries. Being able to use nearly 100% of what you have with very little drop off and damage of the battery is a huge plus. Just better batteries when you look at the whole pictures. Thanks for sharing.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Electrical and Wiring All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: