thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2021 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Foggy, If you disagree with something I post, there is no need to be rude.

If you have better information then please enlighten us. I have been involved with marine and diving safety for over 50 years. I practice what I preach--If I was in the area where you live, I would have survival gear, warm clothing, a PLlB, Ham radio and food in my vehicle if going away from civilization during winter storms.

Our vehicles have the materials which are appropriate for the area were we live. When traveling across the US, we have emergency and survival gear with us.

It is your choice to be prepared or not. I choose to be prepared. I can only advise others to be prepared.

As to your assertion that lives are not saved by EPRIB, PLB, DSC radios etc. That is just wrong. There are many lives which would be saved with these items each year. The range would run from several young men who were fishing in a 17 foot boat out of Fl a couple of years ago, to hikers who strayed only a short distance off established trails, and were injured.

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
hardee

City/Region: Sequim
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Sleepy-C
Photos: SleepyC
PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2021 3:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sea Spray. Thanks for sharing that YouTube. They got lucky, could have been a lot worse in a lot of ways.

Thataway Bob. Good points on the Ditch bag. Yes they are variable due to situation and geography. My PLB does not go in the bag though, it is on my PFD along with my handheld VHF.

T.R. Bauer. I would doubt that you would get a half hour. If you survive the Cold Water Shock Syndrome, (first 1-2 minutes), You will have about 5 minutes with reasonable dexterity, in another 5 minutes, you will be losing mental acuity, and be in early stage hypothermia. From there things go down hill fast. Of course, these time will vary depending on what you are wearing in the water. The Survival Suit will extend that time to 6-8 hours, depending on submersion level.
Check that video link. They were both into Hypothermia, different stages, but it is evident in there story.

Foggy. Go read the rules for here. OH, if it takes to long to find it, I’ll print it out for you here:

No Rules - Just be nice!

Oh, and YES, I do have a survival bag in my car trunk, wool cap and gloves, fire starter, flares, food bars, knife, signal flag, survival blankets, VHF radio. Much the same as on the boat. And it goes with me in the truck or on the bike. OH, and since you asked, 20* years in EMS, SAR and outdoor survival. You should check out the American Boy Scouts, They teach one thing there --- “Always Be Prepared” Hope that is helpful.

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

T.R. Bauer

City/Region: Wasilla
State or Province: AK
C-Dory Year: 1993
Vessel Name: C-Whisperer
PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2021 9:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

T.R. Bauer. I would doubt that you would get a half hour. If you survive the Cold Water Shock Syndrome, (first 1-2 minutes), You will have about 5 minutes with reasonable dexterity, in another 5 minutes, you will be losing mental acuity, and be in early stage hypothermia. From there things go down hill fast. Of course, these time will vary depending on what you are wearing in the water. The Survival Suit will extend that time to 6-8 hours, depending on submersion level.
Check that video link. They were both into Hypothermia, different stages, but it is evident in there story.

Thanks for sharing that. I have actually gone for an untended swim before in extremely cold waters a couple of times and always have been amazed at the Cold Water Shock Syndrome and how terrible it is. One time, in my 20s it happened when I flipped a boat on the Lochsa River (North Idaho) in late March as the snow pack was melting. I swam back to my boat finally as a fellow rafter had secured it, but wow it sure made me buy a dry suit. I did have a 7 mm wet suit on, so it wasn't that bad. But it was really cold and it was at the start of our float, so I was really flipping cold at the end. I wasn't drinking, but I sure felt drunk by then. The hot springs in the area are marvelous by the way.

And the other, when in my 40s, which was far worse, was in PWS way up in Unakwik Inlet with the boat surrounded by bergy bits of ice by a calving glacier. I was getting kayaks off the roof of the 22 because we wanted to explore. The next thing I knew, I was in the drink with everything on to include boots. No life vest.....yeah I know.....dumb.....The cold water was excruciating and a giant shock to the system. Coming up for air was not easy and I can see how that would be the end. I actually wasn't completely sure I was going to make it to the surface as my body was not cooperating with my mind. Boots are really hard to swim in by the way and if anyone doubts it, try it next to the lifeguard as you're probably going to need them. However, I did find it amazingly easy to get back into the 22 even without a swim step. I lived.....lesson learned.....don't fall in.....lol....

The point is, I suspect I know how this is going to go where I live, and it won't be good. What's in the ditch bad probably won't really matter - might as well takes some of that important stuff out and just put the Irish whiskey in there as the rescuers are only going to find hypothermic dead people. If it's 5 minutes or a 1/2 hour it really is irrelevant probably. However, I do think a person would be conscience for at least 1/2 hour with a life vest on and normal Alaska summer attire. Don't get me wrong, you won't be able to do anything because your body will be shutting down, but you'll know what's happening, and you'll know how screwed you are.
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2021 12:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Thataway Bob. Good points on the Ditch bag. Yes they are variable due to situation and geography. My PLB does not go in the bag though, it is on my PFD along with my handheld VHF.

Excellent point about the PLB. We have more than one PLB, and there are additional ones for each of us, as well as several other water proof radios. Why the redundancy? One reason is that at times in the past we have been in remote areas, and the 24 hour minimum rated duration of the PLB battery may have not been enough.

None of us are crossing oceans in our C Dorys, but we did in larger boats, we carried several EPRIB's. One was packed in the life raft with more survival gear than normally comes, and we had a second one which was located right in the companionway of the boat, to be grabbed on the way out/off. The idea was if we had to abandon the boat, we would activate one of the EPRIB's. If no rescue in the 48 hours, we would turn on the second for only a few hours a day. For example sailing distance from the Canary Islands to Barbados, is about 3000 miles, with relatively little shipping. Rescue might be some time and having an exact position is important. (Rescue would be via AMVER most likely)
Nancy and Bud

City/Region: Nashville
State or Province: IL
Vessel Name: Emma Mae
Photos: Emma Mae
PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2021 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bob,

I've learned a great deal from your posts here. You are knowledgeable and are willing to share your knowledge without being a know it all or sounding condescending.

I would hate to think that insulting posts would be enough to quit.

Hope you see you and other C-Brats on the water this year, somewhere, sometime.

Stay Well

Byrdman

City/Region: Cumberland River, Clarksville,
Vessel Name: " ? " After Rename Ceremony
Photos: FreeByrd and C-Byrd
PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2021 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A few points. I use items in my ditch bag as to ensure they function properly.
Different bag content based on environmental factors and types of waters .
Interestingly I’m picinkg up a tone on this thread that gives me pause as to just why is it going on at all, much less on this forum as to where we share, learn, teach and or total mixes there off. Basically to assist others in the joy and pleasure of our C-Dory boats. Most of us are extended family for well over a decade.
I am speaking directly to and about Foggy’s mannerisms and flippant remarks and degrading statements to others.
Foggy if you have a point make it...politely and just be nice.
Foggy, If you just want to be a sarcastic ass, please take it elsewhere.
Foggy, If you are hurting and need help,, reach out. Many of us have and will help. Now that’s about all option I can form on this.
Thanks to all for keeping this site nice. Salute.

C-Byrd, CD18A, Hull #14 sold again.. May 2020
C-Byrd, CD18A, Hu #14 - Bought her again - May16
Aloysius, Sold to Brother Mike Mar16
Aloysius, Hull # 440 RF-246
C-Byrd, CD18A, Hull #14 Sold May09
TC24, Hull #51, Sold Feb06
CD16A, Sold Dec03
Never Deny Yourself The Pleasure of Helping Others.
South of Heaven

City/Region: Sharon
State or Province: MA
Photos: Blue Water
PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2021 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nancy and Bud wrote:
Bob,

I've learned a great deal from your posts here. You are knowledgeable and are willing to share your knowledge without being a know it all or sounding condescending.

I would hate to think that insulting posts would be enough to quit.

Hope you see you and other C-Brats on the water this year, somewhere, sometime.

Stay Well

Quit? Dr Bob isn't gonna quit. He's too smart and too much of a gentleman to get pulled down to a lower level.

2005 Silverton 35 Motoryacht (Twin 385 Crusaders) (SOLD 6/20)

2000 Camano 31 Troll (Volvo TAMD41p) (SOLD 2/19)

2007 C Dory 25' Cruiser (200 hp Suzuki, sold 7/17)

2003 C Dory 19' Angler (80 hp Yamaha, sold 7/16)

1995 C Dory 16' Angler (40 hp Yamaha, sold 2/16)
hardee

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2021 10:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dr Bob Austin, Don't let that t_rp get under your skin. Anyone who likes to hide behind the anonymity of the I=net and argue to the negative isn't worth getting the blood pressure up over.

C-BRATS has been a family friendly site. Has been that way for the last 15+ years I have been here. Kind of like it that way, and hope for it to stay that way.

Harvey
SleepyCMoon

TyBoo

City/Region: Warrenton
State or Province: OR
C-Dory Year: 1996
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruise Ship
Vessel Name: TyBoo
Photos: TyBoo
PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2021 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The matter is resolved so let's not perpetuate it, please. This thread is about abandoning ship, not civility, and there is too good in here to lock it down.
hardee

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2021 10:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you Mike. For what ever. Love this place.

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

hardee

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2021 10:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not much you can put into a ditch bag that would help prevent the cold water shock, but I do carry hypothermia treatment accessories.

Quote:
Back to the Cold Water Shock. It is rapid, serious and very frequently fatal. It is not hypothermia. It is a sudden, involuntary physical response. The initial gasp, inhalation of cold water, and resulting Ventricular fibrillation result in initial cardiac death followed in 4-5 minutes by brain death. All within the first 10 minutes in the water. If at all possible, keep your head from submersion in the water, especially your face.

Cold Water Shock Progression.

Cold-water shock is the first stage of the sudden and unexpected immersion in water which temperature is of 59*F 1(5 °C) or lower and occurs during the first minute of exposure. Cold-water shock likely causes more deaths than hypothermia.

1 Minute - Cold Shock
An initial deep and sudden Gasp followed by hyperventilation that can be as much as 600-1000% greater than normal breathing. You must keep your airway clear or run the risk of drowning. Cold Shock will pass in about 1 minute.

10 Minutes - Cold Incapacitation
Over approximately the next 10 minutes you will lose the effective use of your fingers, arms and legs for any meaningful movement. Concentrate on self rescue initially, and if that isn’t possible, prepare to have a way to keep your airway clear to wait for rescue. Swim failure will occur within these critical minutes and if you are in the water without a lifejacket, drowning will likely occur.

1 Hour - HYPOTHERMIA
Even in ice water it could take approximately 1 hour before becoming unconscious due to Hypothermia.

The cold shocking truth…. about cold water shock

https://www.rya.org.uk/newsevents/e-newsletters/up-to-speed/Pages/the-cold-shocking-truthabout-cold-water-shock-.aspx

The biggest danger is inhaling water and drowning, even if the water is flat, calm and you know how to swim. Cold Water Shock causes an immediate loss of breathing control. You take one or more huge gasps, followed by hyperventilation – very rapid breathing that is hard or impossible for you to control.

As blood vessels contract, increases in heart rate and blood pressure may result in cardiac arrest even in people who are in good health. At the same time a “gasp” response may result in water being inhaled into the lungs and your breathing rate may increase by as much as tenfold.

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

JamesTXSD

City/Region: from island boy to desert dweller
State or Province: AZ
Vessel Name: "Wild Blue" (sold 9/14)
Photos: Wild Blue
PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2021 11:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TyBoo wrote:
The matter is resolved so let's not perpetuate it, please. This thread is about abandoning ship, not civility, and there is too good in here to lock it down.

We understand, Mike. Good info in the thread and good people on this forum. And, a quote from Dr. Martin Luther King: "In the end, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends." Dr. Bob has a lot of friends; this forum has a lot of good people who support friends and forum. And, civility.

Best wishes.
Jim
T.R. Bauer

City/Region: Wasilla
State or Province: AK
C-Dory Year: 1993
Vessel Name: C-Whisperer
PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2021 11:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hardee wrote:
Not much you can put into a ditch bag that would help prevent the cold water shock, but I do carry hypothermia treatment accessories.

Quote:
Back to the Cold Water Shock. It is rapid, serious and very frequently fatal. It is not hypothermia. It is a sudden, involuntary physical response. The initial gasp, inhalation of cold water, and resulting Ventricular fibrillation result in initial cardiac death followed in 4-5 minutes by brain death. All within the first 10 minutes in the water. If at all possible, keep your head from submersion in the water, especially your face.

Cold Water Shock Progression.

Cold-water shock is the first stage of the sudden and unexpected immersion in water which temperature is of 59*F 1(5 °C) or lower and occurs during the first minute of exposure. Cold-water shock likely causes more deaths than hypothermia.

1 Minute - Cold Shock
An initial deep and sudden Gasp followed by hyperventilation that can be as much as 600-1000% greater than normal breathing. You must keep your airway clear or run the risk of drowning. Cold Shock will pass in about 1 minute.

10 Minutes - Cold Incapacitation
Over approximately the next 10 minutes you will lose the effective use of your fingers, arms and legs for any meaningful movement. Concentrate on self rescue initially, and if that isn’t possible, prepare to have a way to keep your airway clear to wait for rescue. Swim failure will occur within these critical minutes and if you are in the water without a lifejacket, drowning will likely occur.

1 Hour - HYPOTHERMIA
Even in ice water it could take approximately 1 hour before becoming unconscious due to Hypothermia.

The cold shocking truth…. about cold water shock

https://www.rya.org.uk/newsevents/e-newsletters/up-to-speed/Pages/the-cold-shocking-truthabout-cold-water-shock-.aspx

The biggest danger is inhaling water and drowning, even if the water is flat, calm and you know how to swim. Cold Water Shock causes an immediate loss of breathing control. You take one or more huge gasps, followed by hyperventilation – very rapid breathing that is hard or impossible for you to control.

As blood vessels contract, increases in heart rate and blood pressure may result in cardiac arrest even in people who are in good health. At the same time a “gasp” response may result in water being inhaled into the lungs and your breathing rate may increase by as much as tenfold.

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

All good reasons to stay in the boat:-)
hardee

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2021 11:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Totally agree. Cold Water Shock nearly always wins.

Quote:
"Hypothermia kills over time as heat is conducted away from the body leading to a gradual decline in body core temperature and loss of swimming ability, unconsciousness and ultimately death. Conversely, most people who are susceptible to Cold Water Shock die in the first minute of immersion.

In the majority of cases, victims aren’t stupid or intentionally reckless, and many are strong swimmers. They simply have the misfortune of getting caught in an exceptionally lethal trap. Cold water preys on the unsuspecting and the careless, but it also waits patiently offshore for those with plenty of experience but who don’t take it seriously."

Nobody ever plans an 'accident'.

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

Hunkydory

City/Region: Cokeville, Wyoming
State or Province: WY
C-Dory Year: 2000
Vessel Name: Hunkydory
Photos: Hunkydory-Jay-and-Jolee
PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2021 12:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I heard my sister who likes her comforts large scale & adventures small, years ago talking to JoLee about what she would do if the canoe turned over with all the cloths she wore while on our local very cold water lakes. JoLee said it really wasn’t a worry as if the canoe tipped over a life preserver was just so her body could be found. I think this still holds true now for many of us in the very cold water we choose to cruise in. On the other hand it is prudent to match as well as possible the contents of a ditch bag to the area & waters chosen to cruise. The individual acceptable risk sometimes determining just how small or large the ditch bag will be. Personally if abandoning the boat it will now be into a rubber inflatable, where I want a small lite ditch bag attached to me & Jolee & I attached to each other & to the inflatable. The balance between what might be needed before rescue with too much weight & bulk preventing lasting long enough to be rescued a necessary determining factor.

In my past mountain adventures by myself in remote wilderness for extended time periods on foot or horseback, there wasn’t the notion that rescue was going to happen if bad luck or bad choices brought about a life threatening scenario, so how to if possible provide heat, food & shelter, while dealing with injuries was always a concern with prevention better then cure. The skills for survival for me were learned starting at a very young age with many hard knocks in the process over the years.

Now with a push of a button rescue from ignorance, stupidity or bad luck even in remote areas is often at least in the minds of many only minutes away & the skills & equipment needed when those minutes turn to hours or days not learned or at hand to prevent good endings from bad happenings. Yes, bad things can happen, but with the good capability of our C-Dory boats & the areas most of the C-Brats choose to do their boating, really bad events happening are statistically very rare. Add to this modern radios, gps, personal location devices & help likely will not be long coming. So in my opinion, what should be in the ditch bag rest upon the individual risk acceptance & comfort level of the individual boater & the areas they boat. Barry, Bob & others have provided great list. Not all will want or possibly need them all, but great to chose from.

Jay

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: