The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

vaccination
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 20, 21, 22  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    The C-Brats Forum Index -> General Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tparrent

City/Region: Apex
State or Province: NC
C-Dory Year: 2017
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: Tomfoolery
Photos: tparrent (TBD)
PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2020 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I checked one of those "where are you on the list of groups to be vaccinated?" apps and found that I am nearly last. Dogs and cats apparently get the vaccination before i do but I squeezed in ahead of hamsters.

Now you might infer from that that I am a paragon of health. Inferences are often incorrect! Ok, I don't have any obvious commodities but I'm not a spring chicken either. Not sure why the youngsters are ahead of me - but I'll wait patiently.

So, yes, please mask up and keep your distance even after you get the jab.

thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2020 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tparrent wrote:
I checked one of those "where are you on the list of groups to be vaccinated?" apps and found that I am nearly last. Dogs and cats apparently get the vaccination before i do but I squeezed in ahead of hamsters.

Although the CDC give guidelines, the different states are prioritizing as they see fit. I am a little surprised that over 65 with co-morbidities are not put ahead of the much larger group of over 65, or that there is not a separate group of over 75 or 80 with co-morbidities.

I have heard of some "cheating" of you healthy non essential workers getting the inject. I am also aware of an older physician, who no longer practices, and is in excellent health getting his vaccine at the Kaiser Hospital where he no longer works. Also politicians including one over 30 years of age going ahead of those in need of protection. I do believe that the first tranche of vaccines should go to those at greater risk including front line health care and first responders. Then those in nursing homes.

It is not at all clear in Florida how distribution will begin for the larger groups of elderly. Is it CVS/Walgreens, the hospitals, or individual Doctor's offices vs mass public health "drive in" as the early tests were??

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
smckean (Tosca)

City/Region: Guemes Island (Anacortes)
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: Tosca
Photos: Tosca
PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2020 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
It is not at all clear in Florida how.....

Not surprising perhaps. Florida has not exactly been a paragon of good practices and leadership when it comes to COVID.

thataway

PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2020 10:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

smckean (Tosca) wrote:

Not surprising perhaps. Florida has not exactly been a paragon of good practices and leadership when it comes to COVID.

Actually considering the elderly population in Fl and the fact that life is is almost normal--except masking, and some requested limits of no more than 10 at a gathering, I would not say that Florida has been "mismanaged". Restaurants and almost all businesses are operating "normally". They are using self policing distancing with indoor dining. That does not mean that those of us "at high risk" don't take precautions, because we do. The economy remains healthy in our area.

Case per 100K in last 7 days is 46.4 in FL, compared to Calif. where things are virtually locked down at 95.7 per 100K. Washington is lower at 26.5, and I suspect that they are also fairly well locked down???

I don't believe that anyone knows what the best balance is: total lock down and economic disaster, vs fully open society with no bounds. It should be a balance with safety in mind. Certainly the tourist economy has been hurt in Fl.

In our area schools are all functioning normally. Employment rate is about 5% average last few months. This is about the same as Seattle. In Los Angeles CA the unemployment rate is 9%, schools are all virtual (except for a few exceptions for some private schools which are half and half) I believe that schools are virtual in the Seattle area also?

There have been some areas in S. Florida where there had to be more drastic measures taken--and that was because of super spreader events in the Miami and other areas. Disney World is open--with restrictions.
robhwa

City/Region: Anderson Island
C-Dory Year: 2003
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Marcia C
Photos: Problemadela
PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2020 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

smckean (Tosca) wrote:
Quote:
It is not at all clear in Florida how.....

If you consider rates, Florida is similar in cases per 100,000 (5694/100K) to many other states, and almost exactly the national average. "Travel to" states like Florida have unique problems, and tourism has remained high in Florida during COVID. California, with its long list of restrictions, is similar (4982/100K).

Our beloved state of Washington is doing a little better (3049/100K). Rules and regulations may have helped some. Restrictions and rules seem useful, but my favorite state, no sales tax, no income tax "Live Free or Die" New Hampshire (2795/100K), is quite a bit lower than the national average and third lowest, so it isn't just "Freedom Loving" states that have the worst problems or restrictive states with the lowest. The lowest rate is Vermont, but being north doesn't help, as the highest rate is North Dakota (11870/100K), with South Dakota also over 10K/100K, or over 10% of people infected.

Clearly, individual attitudes and what individuals do play a role, and maybe geography. We all seem to mask up here on Anderson Island. It probably pays to live on an island (Hawaii 1447/100K). I wish everyone well and look forward to my eventual "jab".
thataway

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2020 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agree with robhwa's posts. New Hampshire Maine and Vermont have lots of very isolated areas and independent minded people. People tend to comply with suggestions for their safety and shunned outsiders.

North and South Dakota increases seem to have been tracked to the Sturges Rally. 462,000(+/-) individuals, with minimal social distancing or masking. I am all in favor of bike riders. Unfortunately this became a "super spreader" event.

We saw a peak after Thanksgiving, and will see another in the next month from Christmas, before many are vaccinated.
Barry Rietz

City/Region: Sierra Vista
State or Province: AZ
PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2020 2:52 pm    Post subject: Vaccines Reply with quote

This mornings NPR radio announced that "Novavax", another pharmaceutical company, is trialing a vaccine that does not include live virus! Apparently they have developed a type of synthetic material that stimulates the natural immune response! Fingers crossed it works so the "allergic reactors" may be able to get immunized.
thataway

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2020 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Barry none of the currently approved vaccines in the US contain live virus. The allergic reactions may be lipid nanoparticles (LNPs) or polyethylene glycol (PEG). which are used to bind or carry the messenger RNA (mRNA) which helps our bodies form defense to the COVID 19. The PEG or similar compounds are used in toothpastes, shampoos etc-and it is possible that some of the population may have been sensitized. The anaphylactic reactions for the most part have been benign and controlled easily with epinephrine, Benadryl, steroids etc...That is the reasons that patients need to wait 15 minutes after the injections. I have some concern about getting the vaccine in a pharmacy setting and there being potential reactions that the pharmacist cannot treat...Medical personal who are trained need to be available to the vaccination sites.
smittypaddler

City/Region: Neenah, Wisconsin
State or Province: WI
C-Dory Year: 2004
Vessel Name: Na Waqa
PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2020 8:41 pm    Post subject: Oxford/Astrazeneca not until April? Reply with quote

The UK has approved and is injecting the Oxford/Astrazeneca vaccine right now, and the EU is expected to approve it in the next few days. Normal refrigeration, 3 bucks a shot, 90-95% effective, seems like a no-brainer, but I heard on the news it's not expected to be approved by FDA here until April. Can anyone explain why this is so?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Foggy

City/Region: Traverse City; Northern Lake Michigan
State or Province: MI
C-Dory Year: 2014
C-Dory Model: 26 Venture
Vessel Name: Boatless in Boating Paradise
Photos: W B Nod
PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2020 9:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Oxford/Astrazeneca not until April? Reply with quote

smittypaddler wrote:
The UK has approved and is injecting the Oxford/Astrazeneca vaccine right now, and the EU is expected to approve it in the next few days. Normal refrigeration, 3 bucks a shot, 90-95% effective, seems like a no-brainer, but I heard on the news it's not expected to be approved by FDA here until April. Can anyone explain why this is so?

Because this is America ("becoming great again").
Like where have you been (Yr 2020 AD)?

Aye.
Grandpa used to say, " 'FUBAR' is for real."
Goodbye 2020.

thataway

PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2021 1:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Astrazeneca has not had adequate trials for FDA yet. They did have the two neurological reactions. Their trial will not finish until Feb in the USA. (Wanted more tests and on older population)

Their results so far were strange. Those who had a 1/2 dose in the first shot, had better results (about 90% vs62.1%). I would rather the Moderna or the Pfizer Vaccines. Our county has 840 doses for the public > 65 yo--I have filled out an application.
robhwa

City/Region: Anderson Island
C-Dory Year: 2003
Vessel Name: Marcia C
Photos: Problemadela
PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2021 1:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thataway wrote:
The Astrazeneca has not had adequate trials for FDA yet. They did have the two neurological reactions. Their trial will not finish until Feb in the USA. (Wanted more tests and on older population)

Their results so far were strange. Those who had a 1/2 dose in the first shot, had better results (about 90% vs62.1%). I would rather the Moderna or the Pfizer Vaccines. Our county has 840 doses for the public > 65 yo--I have filled out an application.

Hope you can get one soon, Bob. We'll sequester here on our island until most of the rest of the mainland can get theirs. Not too shabby as long as we can catch squid and flounder...

JamesTXSD

City/Region: from island boy to desert dweller
State or Province: AZ
Vessel Name: "Wild Blue" (sold 9/14)
Photos: Wild Blue
PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2021 9:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Joan and I have submitted our application for the vaccine. As close as I can tell, we are about 22,000 down the line, with about 4,000 vaccines given in our two counties, with both of the approved vaccines, as available.

Masking and social distancing/group gatherings are divisive around here. One particular anit-masking group on our island now has a good portion of their group with the virus, 2 hospitalized, 1 on a respirator.

Without making this an opinion piece, it would be a real shame to get this close to having the vaccine and have stubborn behavior cause more infections.
Pacificcoast101

City/Region: Torrance
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 2008
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: No Pressure
Photos: No Pressure
PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2021 11:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We're having the worst outbreak in the country here in Los Angeles but they are only giving vaccines in staggered groups. The first responders got their shots almost three weeks ago, yet the State won't let the next group begin their shots yet. In the meantime, vaccines are sitting in freezers unused while the death toll mounts. Merry is 72 but won't get her shot until prisoners and homeless get theirs. It's crazy in California.

Southern California Marine Life
https://www.flickr.com/photos/southern_california_marine_life/albums

My Photos
https://www.alamy.com/stock-photo/?pseudoid=%7bAC42A235-FD0A-464A-B559-1CC5843C95FB%7d&name=Phil+Garner&st=11&mode=0&comp=1
smittypaddler

City/Region: Neenah, Wisconsin
State or Province: WI
C-Dory Year: 2004
Vessel Name: Na Waqa
PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2021 11:46 am    Post subject: Applications? Reply with quote

I live in Wisconsin, and sent this to my care giver ThedaCare:

"This evening I talked with a cousin who lives in a small town in Indiana. Her husband got the covid-19 vaccination, and he's not in the eligibility queue. He got it because their care giver has a call list for those willing to get the vaccination if there's a cancellation by someone who is eligible, who didn't show up for their appointment, and nobody else is available that is eligible, and the vaccine is already thawed and will go to waste otherwise. Has ThedaCare considered such a call list?"

Here's what I got in response:

"Hello Smitty,
At this time Thedacare does not have a call list for patients."

There've been several responses on this forum that they've "submitted an application." I've looked everywhere I could think of for a place to apply. Am I missing it, or is it just Wisconsin that's not being proactive?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    The C-Brats Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 20, 21, 22  Next
Page 3 of 22

Jump to: