The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

vaccination
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13 ... 20, 21, 22  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    The C-Brats Forum Index -> General Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
smckean (Tosca)

City/Region: Guemes Island (Anacortes)
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Tosca
Photos: Tosca
PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2021 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very dependent on physiology I suspect. My wife and I just got Moderna #2 yesterday. Last night I felt nothing even at the point on my arm where the shot was given; maybe I felt a little tired, but that's all. This morning my arm is slightly sore, but nothing else. OTOH, just a couple of hours after the shot, my wife's arm got swollen and hard at the shot point. Now this morning, she got up for about an hour, and then went back to bed (where she still is as I type this). Our lifestyle is very similar.
NORO LIM

City/Region: Olympia
C-Dory Year: 2006
C-Dory Model: 23 Venture
Vessel Name: NORO LIM (sold 12/12/14)
Photos: NORO LIM
PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2021 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just got my second Moderna dose (after 4 re-schedulings).

The first dose was administered by a nurse whom, for more than one reason, I refer to as "Jabber the Hurt." Other than a sore injection site, and little tiredness, however, I had no real side effects from that first dose.

I am calling the nurse who gave me the second dose "Nurse Diesel" - because he looked like Vin, not because he reminded me of the sadistic Cloris Leachman in "High Anziety." (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tNKQBJZ8dOY) Vin was an absolute pro. I couldn't feel the shot.

I'm home now, doing fine so far. Maybe I'll take a nap, you know, just as precautionary move.

Barry Rietz

City/Region: Sierra Vista
State or Province: AZ
PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2021 3:59 pm    Post subject: Perhaps you should not be Vaccinated??? Reply with quote

One hour long video but well worth the time to view:

https://www.americasfrontlinedoctors.com/vaccines/

JamesTXSD

City/Region: from island boy to desert dweller
C-Dory Year: 2007
Vessel Name: "Wild Blue" (sold 9/14)
Photos: Wild Blue
PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2021 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We will get in the conga line for our second shots (Moderna) on Friday; looking forward to "moving on." Our neighbors got theirs last week; she has had no issues, he ran a fever of 101º and had muscle aches for a day and a half.

We are actually starting to make plans. Prior to getting the first shot, my lovely wife would not commit to going anywhere... now, she is working with me on plans for getting away this summer. Our daughter and son-in-law (both teachers, both vaccinated, no issues) are coming to see us over Easter... it is a big deal for us. Prior to the vaccinations, we did not get together for Christmas (a first), and we did not go there this winter (we usually spend a couple months there this time of year).

The next thing to be dealt with: what next? The medical professionals have no data, yet, on what behavior puts whom at risk after the vaccinations. As a considerate member of society, we don't want to cause an issue for those who haven't (or refuse to) received a vaccination. Masks? Restaurants? It isn't like: get the vaccine and you are free to go back to your former life.

We both agree that we will continue to mask up when in public, and won't be in a hurry to go back into a restaurant (fortunately, Joan is a great cook). We will get out in our motorhome (as we did last summer), because it is a great way to travel, yet still be able to easily social distance.

Our daughter and son-in-law will be going back into the classroom after their spring break next month. Their school district tried that last fall and it was a serious failure. In years past, we have volunteered in their classrooms... obviously not now. What will the future be for that?

We have not been living in fear, but we have definitely been taking the necessary precautions... as best medical professionals have been able to determine. We expect that to change over time, too.

Living where we do, in a destination resort area, with a local culture that loves big gatherings and seems mask-aversive... it is no wonder the infection rate here has been much higher than most areas. It has taken this past year (and plenty of infections and deaths) to drive the point home that Covid is real. Add to that the mistrust of having to give your ID to a government-run vaccination process, and I expect a higher than average rate of people not getting vaccinations here.
smckean (Tosca)

City/Region: Guemes Island (Anacortes)
Vessel Name: Tosca
Photos: Tosca
PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2021 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here in northern Washington state, they recently allowed restaurants to have inside dining at 25% occupancy. I happen to be in Anacortes yesterday, so I stopped by my favorite eating establishment (a pub, "The Brown Lantern"...those who know Anacortes, will know it). I hadn't been there in nearly a year. I have had both shots, but I still wear a mask in public (seems to me you have to since having a bunch of folks walking around without a mask would set a very bad precedent and give an all too handy excuse for an anti-masker). There were only a handful of tables in the pub; plus all the bar stools had been removed. All the servers wore masks, as did the patrons until they were served their drink or food; then the masks come off, to be put back on when you leave.

It felt so great to be sitting in that pub again sipping a Scottish Ale (Port Townsend). It's become a symbol of pandemic restrictions to me this past year since I used to go there so often. For me, yesterday was "going back to normal" (at least close enough for me).
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2021 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Add to that the mistrust of having to give your ID to a government-run vaccination process,

Interesting that Texas is requiring ID's. It seems contra productive, if you want to get adequate immunity. The illegals may be the ones spreading it as servers, food handlers (not likely to give direct contact, but indirect).

Fl. No ID required. Just show up. (A lot of Texas trucks in the neighborhood--they seem to follow the hurricane re-construction.) After evert hurricane we see more Spanish signage in our local WalMarts! We will be getting a new roof, and the crew will all have Texas registered trucks.

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
JamesTXSD

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2021 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep; you have to show ID to get a voucher (in person)’ which allows you to get in line another day to get the vaccine. We are currently parked in one of the many lines at the fairgrounds, waiting for our turn for the second vaccine. We were in line six hours for the first shot; expect this to be about the same. The local news is reporting that undocumented people are not getting vaccinations because of the ID requirement.

This is a mass second vaccination today - 6,000 people. It could certainly be done more efficiently with appointments or at least “time blocks”... but this is what we have.
dotnmarty

City/Region: Sammamish
C-Dory Year: 1993
C-Dory Model: 16 Angler
Vessel Name: LIZZIE II
Photos: Lizzie
PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2021 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JamesTXSD wrote:
Yep; you have to show ID to get a voucher (in person)’ .

talk about cutting off your nose to spite your face. I don't know whether to laugh or cry.

"...we're all in the same boat..."
JamesTXSD

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2021 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dotnmarty wrote:
JamesTXSD wrote:
Yep; you have to show ID to get a voucher (in person)’ .

talk about cutting off your nose to spite your face. I don't know whether to laugh or cry.

I get that, Marty. Until vaccinations are available on a more widespread basis here, I think Texas will continue doing it the way they are now. There was a big backlash when the first vaccines were made available on a first-come first-served basis, with no public info released on who/where/when... seems that a lot of out-of-state (winter visitors) and Mexican nationals had some inside info and they received vaccines first. The Governor said, "Texas vaccines will go only to Texas residents"... thus, the ID requirement.

Another issue is that most health and gov't entities here are having people make their initial contact to get a vaccine via an on-line sign-up. That leaves out a lot of people who don't have the equipment or knowledge of how to do that. I don't have the answers. I've seen on Facebook that Washington State residents are having difficulty getting vaccinated due to the lack of supply and not enough places set-up to give the vaccines.

Other than making people wait so there is a constant flow of arms to get poked, today's mass vaccination got a lot of people through.
dotnmarty

City/Region: Sammamish
C-Dory Year: 1993
C-Dory Model: 16 Angler
Vessel Name: LIZZIE II
Photos: Lizzie
PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2021 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thataway wrote:

Interesting that Texas is requiring ID's. It seems contra productive, if you want to get adequate immunity. The illegals may be the ones spreading it as servers, food handlers (not likely to give direct contact, but indirect).

Fl. No ID required. Just show up. (A lot of Texas trucks in the neighborhood--they seem to follow the hurricane re-construction.) After evert hurricane we see more Spanish signage in our local WalMarts! We will be getting a new roof, and the crew will all have Texas registered trucks.

Well, let's hope these Spanish speakers from Texas on Bob's roof have been immunized.
Peter & Judy

City/Region: Olds
State or Province: AB
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Mistaya
Photos: Mistaya
PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2021 10:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I must confess that the closest I've come to Texas is a few transfers at the Houston airport. But being from Alberta's oil country I've met lots of Texans living and working up here. Lots of Texans also come up to the Calgary Stampede and compete in the rodeo circuit. Nice people for the most part, but I have come to a conclusion. In the United States there are two species of human beings, Americans and Texans.

HMCB Mistaya
"Mistaya" (Grizzly Bear in Cree)
HMCB (Her Majesties Cute Boat)
Foggy

City/Region: Traverse City; Northern Lake Michigan
State or Province: MI
C-Dory Year: 2014
C-Dory Model: 26 Venture
Vessel Name: Boatless in Boating Paradise
Photos: W B Nod
PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2021 8:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ID for TX vac?

To review a previous post (Feb 4), my son (Denver, CO resident) got wind of
"surplus" vaccine in Amarillo, TX, drove the 400+ miles, waited several hours in
line with "hundreds of other people", got the shot, then drove home.

He just returned and received his second follow up shot.

So the Gov may have his words about it but that's not what's happenin'.

Aye.

JamesTXSD

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2021 9:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Each of the 254 counties in Texas determines its own vaccination protocols. Our county now uses vouchers (at first it was first-come first-served). The next county over uses wristbands. Friends of ours here drove two counties over and actually got an appointment and had less than a half hour wait (after driving two hours to get there). I can't speak to what the protocol is in Amarillo. And to add to the fun, the process changes seemingly at a whim.

Whatever it takes to get shots in arms is OK by me. Oh, and don't mess with Texas. Nay.
Peter & Judy

City/Region: Olds
State or Province: AB
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Mistaya
Photos: Mistaya
PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2021 10:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The big vaccine rollout for the general public is beginning here in Alberta now. Most of the frontline workers have now been done and most of the people in longterm care homes. My 89 year old mother is scheduled for March 8. I'm still too young for a shot. All of our vaccinations are being done by appointment, so there should be minimal waiting in line. We have public health care, so you you need to show your Alberta Health Care card and your vaccination status will go into your online health records, which can be accessed by your Doctor or Pharmacist in the future. Every Canadian Province has its own system, so cross border queue jumping is not possible, you have to be vaccinated in your home province. My wife and I are hoping to be vaccinated in April/May, but living on a remote ranch we are at very low risk and I would be willing to let others higher on the risk scale go first.
Marco Flamingo

City/Region: Seattle
C-Dory Year: 2004
C-Dory Model: 16 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Limpet
Photos: Limpet
PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2021 11:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JamesTXSD wrote:
We are actually starting to make plans. Prior to getting the first shot, my lovely wife would not commit to going anywhere... now, she is working with me on plans for getting away this summer.

Same here. My wife didn't mention anything until after I had my second shot. Suddenly, she brought up a crazy notion that I had several years ago on a remote river float. I tossed all the planning that I had done for a solo trip, but she's now interested in a late spring cruise. Back to Google Earth.

Mark
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    The C-Brats Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13 ... 20, 21, 22  Next
Page 12 of 22

Jump to: