The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

vaccination
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12 ... 20, 21, 22  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    The C-Brats Forum Index -> General Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Barry Rietz

City/Region: Sierra Vista
State or Province: AZ
PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2021 2:32 pm    Post subject: Mayoclinic.org: Additional Facts on Vaccines Reply with quote

https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/coronavirus/in-depth/coronavirus-vaccine/art-20484859
Hunkydory

City/Region: Cokeville, Wyoming
State or Province: WY
C-Dory Year: 2000
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Hunkydory
Photos: Hunkydory-Jay-and-Jolee
PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2021 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Really good news!! If it comes true. https://www.wsj.com/articles/well-have-herd-immunity-by-april-11613669731
bobjarrard

City/Region: Boulder City
State or Province: NV
PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2021 12:46 pm    Post subject: WSJ Reply with quote

I just clipped the same WSJ article along with other to send to my friends who do no read newspapers. I have been an addict to quality journalism but I get some comfort from the Wall Street Journal, the Jerusalem Post, and the Las Vegas Review Journal. I dabble at the Christian Science Monitor and a few European papers from time to time. I find it sad that so few folks do not read and more importantly share the news in depth.
Along the way I have added 20+ YouTube sites that I watch with regularity. Some change over time there. I also follow Captain Jim's blog (Wild Blue) and some other sites. Of course I have forums like this one that I never miss.
Enjoy the day and take care you C-BRATS!!
Bob Jarrard
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2021 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am a bit more pessimistic than Dr. Makary, who is primarily a medical writer. Remember this article is in the "opinion" or editorial section of the WSJ (which I read daily). A few weeks ago he was predicting we would have "herd immunity in March". There are some numbers which are speculation--such as the real number of people who have immunity due to prior infection--which I have not seen borne out in the statistics I am following.

He cites Manaus Brazil as an example. The 'estimated" number of positives (based on blood donors) was about 66% last June, which some define as "herd immunity". Yet the number of cases continue: The 77% is an estimate again based on projection from tests done in April and May. Yet on Feb 18, the date of the editorial Manaus has 52,000 new cases. (The highest was 69,000 in January, but there are peaks and valleys. Certainly not the numbers we would expect with "herd immunity".

I hope his prediction is true. Although I have received both of my vaccinations 2 weeks ago, I am still masking and social distancing and plan to for some extended period. There are still many parts of the puzzle which have to be solved.

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
Hunkydory

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2021 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bob, this is one of those very few times I hope you are wrong & still wouldn’t bet against your well thought out opinion.

Jay
Hunkydory

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2021 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JoLee & I received our 2nd vaccine today & our county, Lincoln County has dropped from 94 cases in a 7 day period to 10 in the last 6 weeks. I do like the present trend & with vaccines just coming on, I’m hopeful for it to continue.

Jay
bobjarrard

City/Region: Boulder City
State or Province: NV
PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2021 5:29 pm    Post subject: IBDumb Reply with quote

I lack the medical knowledge of Bob and others but I have farmed a bit and can tell you that just about the time you think you have the death rate down on the chickens and the pigs, it all starts up again. I would appreciate everyone following the guidelines and that includes getting the vaccine. There is no way that we will see 500,000 deaths caused by universal vaccination. I am not anti-anti-vaxxers but social responsibility always means yielding to the better outcome for the majority and sometimes even smaller groups. I do not want those in prison to get sick and die, or those dwelling in poverty, or seniors at the end of their life. That being said, I am a bit worried that my first Moderna shot has inserted some Alien DNA into my spiral what-ya-call-it and that I will shortly start drooling strings of acid drip and thinking of eating my Chihuahua. Seems like just yesterday that our big challenges were balsa core rot and leaking hatches!!!!
Bob Jarrard
PS: Nice weather, shirt sleeves if you are out walking, here in Boulder City, Nevada. Wind is quiet and Lake Mead is pretty this time of year. Come visit us and bring your boat. Gas and meals on us (free parking here at the house and if you have a wetsuit, you can swim in our pool) BJ
smckean (Tosca)

City/Region: Guemes Island (Anacortes)
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: Tosca
Photos: Tosca
PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2021 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's a piece of good news. Knowing how molecular process work, I figured protection from the day of vaccination is likely not linear, but more exponential; that is, you get the biggest bang for the buck in the early days.

I've been looking for the actual data, and happened to see briefly on TV one graph that showed 80% effectiveness just 9 days after the 1st shot, but I have been unable to find the source of that graph. Now, I clearly heard a doctor being interviewed on TV about the delays due to weather and how that might affect folks getting their 2nd shot. The statistic quoted was that you are already 85% protected on the day your 2nd shot is scheduled just from the 1st shot. So that's comforting.

P.S. What is unknown is whether the 2nd shot allows the protection to last far longer. That may well be, but it may also be that the 2nd shot is not all that important. It is possible that in a time of vaccine supply shortage a good strategy, which some countries are already using, is to delay 2nd shots in order to vaccinate more folks with at least one shot. Best, of course, is to stick with the tested protocol, but when push comes to shove.......

Pacificcoast101

City/Region: Torrance
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 2008
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: No Pressure
Photos: No Pressure
PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2021 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Merry got her second jab at the Forum this morning. The line was even faster than last time. I should be eligible to receive my first shot by 2023. Sad

Southern California Marine Life
https://www.flickr.com/photos/southern_california_marine_life/albums

My Photos
https://www.alamy.com/stock-photo/?pseudoid=%7bAC42A235-FD0A-464A-B559-1CC5843C95FB%7d&name=Phil+Garner&st=11&mode=0&comp=1
localboy

City/Region: Lake Stevens via Honolulu
Vessel Name: 'Au Kai (Ocean Traveler)
Photos: 'AU KAI
PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2021 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just got #2 Pfizer. I was fortunate they did not cancel my appointment due to the shortage created by the winter storms nation-wide. They stated they only had enough for those already scheduled. I got there a half hour early and I'm glad I did as she said they were having a delay that may take up to 2 hours. I was probably 10-15 in line so I got in. My appt was 1000. I got injected at 1020. Right now the only side effect I note is some minor pain at the injection site. No biggie.

Some good news!

https://www.foxnews.com/health/pfizer-covid-vaccine-limits-transmission-study-israel

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics/israel-pfizer-vaccine-prevents-98-9-percent-of-covid-19-deaths/ar-BB1dSDJV

hardee

City/Region: Sequim
Vessel Name: Sleepy-C
Photos: SleepyC
PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2021 2:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congratulations Mark. Here's betting your arm will not fall off, your face won't grow a trunk and you will begin to feel much safer at work, yes I know yoiu still need a mask, but you are now less likely to get Covid by somewhere between 70 to 95% in a a few short weeks, and less likely to carry or spread it too.

Thank you.

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

localboy

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2021 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, Harvey. I hope not. I need both arms! My hair, however, has not thickened. Laughing

Yes, considering my career, I face exposure on a daily basis. I can't even tell you how many N95's I've used in a year.

Arm is still slightly swollen & painful at the injection site. No fever. No chills. Body & joint aches did develop, though; especially my entire back. Like one would experience if you had the flu. I'll survive. Wink
localboy

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2021 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://www.foxnews.com/media/trump-administration-breathtaking-operation-warp-speed-success-nih-director
smckean (Tosca)

City/Region: Guemes Island (Anacortes)
Vessel Name: Tosca
Photos: Tosca
PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2021 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

localboy,

That article is quite misleading (not surprising considering its source). Yes, although the Trump administration deserves credit for organizing the resources involved in the Warp Speed project (I suspect that had little to do with Mr Trump himself), the lion's share of the credit has to go to medical research science.

By far the major reason COVID-19 vaccines were produced so quickly (1 year vs the typical 5+ years) is the 3 decades long medical research into using mRNA as the vaccine basis rather than the traditional "crippled" virus particle basis of the past. The COVID-19 vaccine is the first vaccine to take advantage of this mRNA technology. The whole human race got very, very lucky that this technology became available just when we needed it. The real hero of this story is a Hungarian researcher named Katalin Karikó (see link below).

https://www.statnews.com/2020/11/10/the-story-of-mrna-how-a-once-dismissed-idea-became-a-leading-technology-in-the-covid-vaccine-race

P.S. One of the lesser known benefits of a mRNA based vaccine is that it was never a viable organism. Unlike taking a virus that has all the machinery it needs to force your cells to reproduce itself, then crippling it (hopefully making it harmless), mRNA is just a template upon which your body makes a specific protein. mRNA can not in any sense "live" on its own crippled or not. (It's kind of like saying a car with a broken drive shaft can't go anywhere compared to just a tire by itself. A broken car might somehow drive again, but a tire by itself never will.)
hardee

City/Region: Sequim
Vessel Name: Sleepy-C
Photos: SleepyC
PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2021 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, one week out after my Moderna Shot #2, I have had no ill effects. The first day very minimal shot spot tenderness. NO other adverse issues. I attribute that to an immune system boosting diet, mostly and a good positive attitude. Same results as I had for 20 some years of flu shots. Believe in the science and follow the protocols.

Still masking, and will for some time, but as the nation gets more inoculations accomplished, we will all be safer.

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    The C-Brats Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12 ... 20, 21, 22  Next
Page 11 of 22

Jump to: