The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Repairs and upgrades for Hammerhead
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Hull, Deck and Fittings
View previous topic :: View next topic  
clayhubler

City/Region: La Center
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2003
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Hammerhead
Photos: Hammerhead
PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2021 10:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thataway wrote:
You will have the strongest and best Buil C Dory. Probably last over 100 years!

I hope so!

clayhubler

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2021 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Put the coring in the transom today. Two layers, with solid chunks of glass at the outboard motor mount bolt holes.

More pics in the album:
http://www.c-brats.com/modules.php?set_albumName=Core-rot-repair&id=20210503_153105&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_photo.php
clayhubler

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2021 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yesterday did only grinding and had enough.

Today got the core bonded in the middle of the cockpit area, including the sump. Decided to do this in smaller sections to make it easier. I used 1/2 core under the sump and made it a little bigger than original. I plan to put 2 bilge pumps here when done. This seemed to go pretty well. Really helps to have somebody mixing epoxy for you when doing large areas. Only smaller sections left so I should be able to work even without a helper.

A few more pics here:
http://www.c-brats.com/modules.php?set_albumName=Core-rot-repair&id=20210507_115151&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_photo.php
clayhubler

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2021 11:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yay! Finished laying the balsa into the hull today! Soon I will be done with the repairs and on to the upgrades!
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2021 11:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congratulations--you built a boat!

Can you see any "seams" between the block areas you filled in the hull?

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
clayhubler

PostPosted: Sat May 29, 2021 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have gotten behind on my updates because I have been working on the boat the whole time! Just a recap, the floor is all done and I have moved on to sanding, fairing, and refinishing of the boat. I really need to get the cabinets/ furniture built and installed. I am up against a deadline and I need to get this thing back in the water asap! There are pictures with captions in the photo album if interested.
Thanks to all who have given advice throughout this project. I'm trying to document everything I'm doing. Hoping it may help somebody else in the future if they ever have to go through this.
clayhubler

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2021 3:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, still behind on photos in the album, but here are some from today. The hull repairs are completely done. I just need to bottom paint and then its going back on the trailer. Of course then I will still need to put ALL THE PARTS BACK IN! We leave for florida in 3 WEEKS!

So I painted the walls in the cabin and the cockpit, and in the v-berth storage. The floor is all gelcoat, and I am really happy with how it turned out. I cannot see any of the repairs.

I will update the album with captions when I get time. It may not be until after we get back from vacay.
iyaman

City/Region: Seattle
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 16 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Eye C Fish
Photos: Eye C Fish
PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2021 9:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wow! can't wait to see the finish product. It will probably be better than a new boat.
clayhubler

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2021 12:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm putting the rubrail back on tomorrow. Was planning to use butyl tape to seal it. Think this is okay? I'm going to use ss machine screws with lock washers and nuts.
hardee

City/Region: Sequim
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: Sleepy-C
Photos: SleepyC
PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2021 5:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Really nice looking work. What a talent.

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

ssobol

City/Region: SW Michigan
State or Province: MI
C-Dory Year: 2008
Vessel Name: SoBELLE
Photos: SoBelle
PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2021 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

clayhubler wrote:
I'm putting the rubrail back on tomorrow. Was planning to use butyl tape to seal it. Think this is okay? I'm going to use ss machine screws with lock washers and nuts.

Personally, I would use flat washers and fibernuts and forget the lock washers. I'd also run a bead of sealant along the top and bottom edge where the rail meets the hull.

journey on

City/Region: Valley Centre
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: journey on
Photos: Journey On
PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2021 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I redid the rubrail on Journey On, the original pop-rivets were corroded away, stainless mixed with aluminum.

Anyway, where I could reach the inside, I used 1/4 panhead machine bolts with a plastic washer on the outside and a locknut on the inside, with plenty of 5200 as sealer. This requires 2 people. Where I couldn't reach behind, I used sheet metal screws.

Also, opposed to sealing water from entering the rubrail, I drilled drain holes to let the water out. This seems reasonable since the rubrail wasn't corroded. Also, the joint is sealed with epoxy filler and doesn't leak unless the hull is breached. And that's really serious.

Boris
clayhubler

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2021 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I normally use locknuts on everything, but in this case I wanted to be able to spin the nut on freely by hand when drilling all the holes. I agree with journeyon that the rail should not be caulked. It was originally, and water was always trapped in there. Whenever I jacked the tounge of the trailer up water would run out the back of the rubrail, even when the baot hadn't been wet in a long time.

The admiral just helped me drill all the holes. I started near the back just ahead of the bend at the aft corner. Drilled a hole and then put in a screw and had her on the inside putting on the nuts. Worked our way around a few holes at a time to make sure we didn't get any buckles in the rail. Drilled all the holes but didn't put fasteners in all of them. Then pulled the rail back off and will now put butly tape tape over the holes and reinstall for real this time. I got a washer that has a rubber washer bonded to it to keep the ss machine screw off the aluminum. I think this will be a permanent solution.

Really, this is the one thing that has proven to be much easier than I thought. It is really easy with no cabinets or wiring in the boat!
clayhubler

PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2021 12:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, I have gotten way behind on this thread, but if anybody is interested, I have now gotten my photo album on this repair up to date with captions.

http://www.c-brats.com/modules.php?set_albumName=Core-rot-repair&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php

This repair took about 7 months. Perhaps it could have been done much quicker. Much of the time I spent drying core. Also, I feel that I went a little overboard, as I like things to be just right. I rebuilt all the cabinets, rewired the entire boat, ran new gas lines, new plumbing lines and components, relocated batteries, installed the propane locker, patched all holes in the hull and roof, wetsanded the entire boat and buffed and waxed, and sanded off the bottompaint and reapplied. I never would have gotten this done in time without help from the cbrats. Thanks to everybody who gave advice during this project. I'm hoping that these photos will help somebody in the future if they find themselves in the same situation. Always happy to answer any questions.

Thanks everybody,
Clay

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Hull, Deck and Fittings All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
Page 6 of 6

Jump to: