The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Repairs and upgrades for Hammerhead
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Hull, Deck and Fittings
View previous topic :: View next topic  
clayhubler

City/Region: La Center
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2003
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Hammerhead
Photos: Hammerhead
PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2020 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That sounds like a good idea. I think I'll do that, and then I'll just dry and seal the core in the forward part and put the plug back in. After epoxy sealing the edges of the hole.
C-Wolfe

City/Region: Anchorage
State or Province: AK
C-Dory Year: 2006
Vessel Name: C-Wolfe
Photos: C-Wolfe
PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2020 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

clayhubler, I also had to deal with wet foam under the v-berth (it also smell like kerosene), I did very similar cutout as you did. I have a few pictures of that project in my photo album, Let me know if you need pictures of different angle, I have good access to the boat and can add to the album, but it look like you got it figures out.
clayhubler

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2020 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks C-Wolfe. Have you used the boat much since you did this modification? What are your experiences? I am worried about condensation on the inner hull surfaces that will contact the water. I'm considering putting dri-decking in there to keep stuff off the sides of the hull. I want to use the two side compartments for clothing, ect... and the front one for extra anchor, ropes... I am considering trying to get my daughter to make a sort of canvas liner that hangs from the hatch openings to keep stuff clean and dry for the sides. The front I will leave open, with the dri-decking.
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2020 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Our 25 has never had any water in the forward compartments--my LiFePO4 batteries are on one side, the 2000 watt inverter on the other side--but both are kept off the sides of the hull by both plywood and foam "suspension". If I put clothing in theses compartments I would put them in a dry bag, or at least a water resistant duffle.
Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
C-Wolfe

City/Region: Anchorage
State or Province: AK
C-Dory Year: 2006
Vessel Name: C-Wolfe
Photos: C-Wolfe
PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2020 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

clayhubler wrote:
Thanks C-Wolfe. Have you used the boat much since you did this modification? What are your experiences? I am worried about condensation on the inner hull surfaces that will contact the water. I'm considering putting dri-decking in there to keep stuff off the sides of the hull. I want to use the two side compartments for clothing, ect... and the front one for extra anchor, ropes... I am considering trying to get my daughter to make a sort of canvas liner that hangs from the hatch openings to keep stuff clean and dry for the sides. The front I will leave open, with the dri-decking.

I have not used it since I opened the v-berth, I just purchased the boat in mid October and only use for a couple trial trip until the weather turn to single digit temperature. I will be adding a layer of something to protect the hull and keep thing dry that will be store inside, I look at a couple different kind of rubber mat or dry deck. If you look at my pictures, you will see an opening under where the porta-potty should be, I expect any water to collect there and can be removed with a sponge. I don’t expect much water to get under v-berth expect condensation.
Hope this help.
hardee

City/Region: Sequim
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: Sleepy-C
Photos: SleepyC
PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2020 3:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have not done the foam removal (yet), but if/when I do, I would highly consider putting mats in the bottom to keep stuff off the sole, and allow air circulation or moisture transference without sogging up the bottom of the clothes bag.

Check out these, in variable sizes and can be unlined, so yo can cut to shape.

Vinyl Mesh Entrance Mats are constructed of an extruded vinyl in a random loop pattern.

https://www.americanfloormats.com/vinyl-mesh-entrance-mats/

Your Welcome, (original tip from Bob Austin)

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

clayhubler

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2020 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Harvey, those do look like they would work really well.

On another topic, I need to repair the windlass. It is a Powerwinch Sport Fish 450 model. It will not freefall, and it also will not hold any load. I have contacted the manufacturer about sending it to them for repair, but I haven't heard back yet.

Has anybody repaired this model of windlass? Anybody want to speculate what is wrong? I suspect that the brake has failed. I think this model is around $650 new, so I wonder if it is worth the trouble. If the repair is three or four hundred, I'd just as soon replace.
Hunkydory

City/Region: Cokeville, Wyoming
State or Province: WY
C-Dory Year: 2000
Vessel Name: Hunkydory
Photos: Hunkydory-Jay-and-Jolee
PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2020 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We have made several 2 to 3 month cruises in the high condensation area of SE Alaska since removing the v berth foam. The area was totally dry when the insulation was removed & no water added in that space due to condensation during our trips. Now, the v berth sleeping area will definitely condensate & the moisture from it can find its way to the storage area. I added thin somewhat sticky plastic covers over the access points, which helps. I use the forward area to store the spare anchor & chain & the side area for seldom used clothing, bulk food & paper towel rolls & other miscellaneous items. None of these have any special covering with only a small amount of moisture absorption in some of the paper wrapping of canned food stuff. I do pad the bottom of the storage area with closed cell foam lining, buts it’s not for insulation to prevent condensation, but rather padding for rough sea encounters. With cloths storage, I’ve had much more condensation problems in the cabin storage areas then under the v berth. There we have had to be very watchful in order to prevent mildew.

Jay

thataway

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2020 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I reviewed the manual for this windlass, and it does not appear to have adjustable clutch as the Lewmar do. The manual shows a "spin off gear kit" and "locking gear kit". I suspect that one of these has been stripped. The "power winch" has been around for 50 years. It started off with just a capstan, no chain gypsy, or clutch etc. It was go/no go, (one direction only) and would be used with the rope rode to pull the anchor up. It was initially an inexpensive item. They have evolved into competing with the other marine windlasses. Their marine windlasses draw less than the competition. That suggests smaller motors, or less pulling power. The prices on their web site are almost $300 more than the product is sold thru some discounters. The company appears to be owned by Carefree RV Awnings (one of the largest awning makers).

I have one of their trailer winches sitting in a box for almost 20 years...I guess I'll have to see if it works sometime..

You have the hole in the deck and mounting for this windlass. So you can either replace it--or go with one of the others which have adjustable clutches. I probably would call the company to see if they do a "rebuild swap" or rebuild yours. It would be interesting to see if this is 17 years old, as the boat is--or if it was put in more recently. (Unless. you want another project and they can send a rebuild kit)
clayhubler

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2020 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jay, thanks for sharing your experience regarding the condensation. Sounds like it shouldn't really be a problem. I will probably use dri-deck to make an air gap and cushion the inside of the hull for anchor, ect... I think the floormats may work better, but I have a bunch of dri-deck from the cabin sole and cockpit that I don't like and will not be putting back in.

Bob, thanks for looking into the windlass. Your suggestion about the locking gear meshes with the initial response I got from the company. Via email:

Quote:
Sounds like maybe the locking gear has given way. This is what stops the gypsy from paying out line while bringing up the anchor and holding the anchor in the roller.
So we don't have repair service here but I do have service centers across the states you can send it to. Click on the link to view those centers.
http://www.powerwinch.com/powerwinch/controller?action=service
Or if you feel courageous, we can discuss this on the phone and I can let you know how to fix it.

I think I may look into one of the seattle area service centers. As you pointed out, I don't really need more projects right now. I think I will stick with this model, too, because of the mounting holes.
clayhubler

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2020 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alright, I'm starting to look into materials. I have a couple of different composites suppliers here in the vancouver area. I know I am going to go with 1.5" end grain balsa for the coring. Also, I am planning on west system epoxy.

What would you recommend in the way of glass cloth?
And what fillers/ thickeners do you like?

Thanks everybody for the help on this.
Brewkid

City/Region: Whidbey Is
C-Dory Year: 2008
Vessel Name: SCALLYWAG
Photos: Scallywag
PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2020 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Clay,

I'm curious what the pricing is on the balsa. Carbon balsa is about $500 delivered for 7 sheets. I ordered 1708 10 yards and some CSM(amazon order). I may try some of the West Systems Episize just to play around, but the price is likely not worth it....

R/
John
Scallywag
thataway

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2020 10:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have mostly worked with West Systems--more expensive, but I have used it for many years and am comfortable with it.

1708 and eposy compatable mat--be sure the binder is OK with epoxy.

This is an article on mat and epoxy/

If you feel a need for mat, check with these folks

I might also get some 4" E-glass Biaxial (+/-45) Fiberglass cloth tape with 3/4 oz mat backing if you are going to have to tab back in structure. The one width cloth could be cut if necessary, or use epoxy comparable mat with it...just depends on how you are putting back in furniture.
Here is a cheat sheet on the various West System fillers. I use mostly Cabosil, 404 and 410 is what I keep in the shop, using a blend as necessary.
clayhubler

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2020 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

John, are you going to use the carbon-core? I am going to use straight up end grain, just like the original.

Bob, thanks for the recommendations for the materials. I'm going to try and finish all cutting this weekend so I know quantities and can order on monday. I will let everybody know what the prices are.

I have looked around at a lot of the various threads on core damage and it seems initially everybody, even myself, is quick to look for other core materials to avoid putting wood back into the boat. But I have been convinced through research and by recommendations from c-brats that balsa is a good core material. I have been reading the west system fiberglass boat repair manual in my spare time. Spare time is a relative term. Anyway here is the link:
https://www.westsystem.com/wp-content/uploads/Fiberglass-Manual-2015.pdf
In the section on gelcoat blisters, which I originally only skimmed over because it doesn't apply to me, I found this about polyester resins on page 59:
Quote:
The term permeability refers to the ability of a material to permit a substance to pass
through it. Polyester laminating resins and gelcoats are not waterproof; they are permeable
and will allow water to migrate through the cured resins at a consistent, predictable rate.
The permeability of a polymer matrix involves a number of factors.
The thickness of the gelcoat layer, the amount of air or voids in the laminate and the
temperature of the laminate affect how much water can permeate the laminate. The
warmer the ambient temperature, the higher the rate of permeation (Figure 9-1). An
increase in temperature will boost the rate of permeation through a resin matrix by
intensifying the molecular motion of both the polyester and the water. This means boats
in the Caribbean are more likely to have problems than those in Lake Superior.

Most production boats are made with polyester, and I assume the c-dory is no different? I'm not really concerned about my boat, because it does sit on a trailer, but wouldn't the above statement make balsa a poor choice for larger boats that spend all their time in the water? In fact it sounds to me like having any boat with a cored hull of any material would be a bad idea. If the gelcoat and resin is not truly waterproof, what is keeping the water out of the core? Only wax and/ or bottom paint? Seems like that is putting too much confidence in owner maintenance. What are your guys thoughts on this?
clayhubler

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2020 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, now for the progress report. More bad news...

I decided I want to get all my cutting done, so I started out trimming around the cockpit edges where I had not gone all the way to the outside hull yet.

And I wanted to get the sump out, after I learned that it is cored underneath. I think it is 1/2 inch core. And yep, it was really wet and rotten under there.

Worst of all though was what I found at the back, between the hull and transom. I was worried about this. I found that the manufacturer butted up the hull core to the transom core. So the wet hull has infected the bottom of the transom. It looks like I will have to cut out several inches from the bottom of the transom all the way across. Then I will probably drill some holes in the inside skin of the transom and point my big heater at it and dry it out. I don't think I am going to drill as many holes as I did in the cabin sole, it seems to be drying easily in there. Here is the bottom edge:

Also, I am not putting all my images in the posts, there are more photos in my album.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Hull, Deck and Fittings All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 2 of 6

Jump to: