The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Planer Boards

View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2006 12:05 pm    Post subject: Planer Boards Reply with quote

I don't like inline planer boards. I want to run big boards. Anybody mount reels and run big boards off their dory? Thanks in advance for all suggestions/replies.
starcrafttom

City/Region: marysville
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 1984
C-Dory Model: 27 Cruiser
Vessel Name: to be decided later
Photos: Susan E
PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2006 10:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have used inline planers and they work but using planer boards allows for running more lines at once. My friend cliff runs boards on lake Pend Oreille in idaho. Instead of mounting the pole and reels on the bow he just connects the boards to his down rigger and lets out cables. seems to work for him so far. Hes gotten several trout over 10 lbs.
MOOSE

City/Region: Rainy Lake - Int'l. Falls
State or Province: MN
C-Dory Year: 2001
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: MOOSE
Photos: MOOSE
PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2006 10:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I run a set of dual Cannon boards occasionally and what I did was make up a heavy duty stainless right-angle bracket to enable me to mount my downrigger vertically on its swivel base rather than horizontally. This allows me to take full height advantage of the downrigger's extension boom and run the boards way out without wave interference. I also toyed with mounting a board reel off one of the roof rails, but I think the downrigger is more straightforward.
Al

Not For Hire

City/Region: Cadillac, MI
State or Province: MI
C-Dory Year: 2004
Vessel Name: Not For Hire
Photos: Not For Hire
PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2006 10:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

David I don't recall from your previous pictures whether or not you have a radar arch. If so the arch make a good place to mount reels for the otter boards. Even without an arch mounting reels on the rear corners of the cabin will keep the lines out of the way. You can start by just putting a stationary reel of some sort up there and just wind the line on and off manually to give it a try. There are some stainless workers on this side of the pond that make custom reels, etc. I don't have reels on my C-Dory yet, if I am ever able to do more spring fishing or steelhead fishing I would go that route. I do use the in-line boards a couple of times a year. PS the Big Jon website sometimes has good sales on cosmetically damaged otter boards (their trade name for big boards), they sell reels also. No connection usual disclaimers, etc.

Regards, Mark

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2006 10:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was intending to mount the reel to the rails along the top of my cabin. I don't think i need a pulley. I will check the big jon site...thanks. I think mounting the reel from the cabin rails will provide the height necessary to pull the boards....
Winyah

City/Region: Ashland, WI
State or Province: WI
C-Dory Year: 2000
Vessel Name: Winyah
PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2006 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

David--I've run big boards directly off the top rails for several years. I run them out to a max. of 150 ft. It works ok but another foot higher would be nice. I don't use any kind of pulley off the top rails, but you may have to if you go higher.

Gary -"Winyah"

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2006 12:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great to hear!!!
1) What brand reels?
2)Where on the rails?
3) How positioned?
4) What brand line?
5) What brand board?
6) What position line to board?
7) Where did you position rod holders?

Any other information on successfully putting in/lures/leadcore etc...greatly appreciated?!?
starcrafttom

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2006 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you have the Scotty downriggers you can just tilt the Scotty’s up in the traveling position and extend the booms out, which should give you about 6 or 7 ft of height. I am thinking of using the boards here on the Puget Sound for steelhead, that are running close to shore. I have used the inline planers for browns in the serrias with good results. I love figuring out new ways to get fish that others cant get to. Here on the sound you are allowed to fish steelhead in the salt but no one does from a boat. They only cast from shore because the steelhead are in 10 to 5 ft of water and very spooky. There are only a few places to fish from shore and if the fish are not there you are out of luck. By using the boards I will be able to cover large areas of water and stay far enough out that I will not spook them. No one here does it. A side finding sonar would really help out in locating the schools. So little money so many toys!!!
Winyah

City/Region: Ashland, WI
State or Province: WI
C-Dory Year: 2000
Vessel Name: Winyah
PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2006 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

David--Have Big Jon manual reels clamped to furthest aft portion of top rail. Florescent nylon line - not sure of brand. Not sure of what you mean--"position of line to board". Have both plastic and wood double planer boards, both with about 8 oz. of lead added to keep them from bouncing.
Have four Big Jon downriggers on swivel bases, each with two rodholders. Two are mounted on each side next to cabin bulkhead and two near gas fillers. Also have four rodholders on stainless rail across splashwell. Hope this helps. Good fishing.

Gary on "Winyah"
starcrafttom

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2006 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

new idea..I was just thinging about how to get the point that the line leaves the boat higher. I have two heavy halibut rods spooled with 80lbs braided line. Why not use those to run out the boards and then place them in the rod holders on my radar arch. that should put the tips about 12 ft above the water. I must go buy boards and give this a try.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2006 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

David--Have Big Jon manual reels clamped to furthest aft portion of top rail.
Florescent nylon line - not sure of brand.

Not sure of what you mean--"position of line to board".

I mean...if there are different positions you can attach the line to the board to maximize the effectiveness of the board.

Have both plastic and wood double planer boards, both with about 8 oz. of lead added to keep them from bouncing.
Have four Big Jon downriggers on swivel bases, each with two rodholders. Two are mounted on each side next to cabin bulkhead and two near gas fillers. Also have four rodholders on stainless rail across splashwell. Hope this helps. Good fishing.
[/quote]
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Fishing All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: