The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

What's "Level"?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> General Technical Discussions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
garyf

City/Region: Lincoln
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 1991
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: C-Story
Photos: C-Story
PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2020 4:21 am    Post subject: What's "Level"? Reply with quote

I'm curious what y'all do when installing things that you'd usually take some care to "level" if you were installing them in your house or other land-based environment.

I mean, I get it - it's a boat, and "level" depends on the weight distribution within the boat... any motion of the surface of the water... speed you're going (on plane, etc) and so on.

Even sitting at home on the trailer, I really don't know how well things compare with being on the water - depends on how well the boat is centered/seated in the bunks, how far I have the tongue of the trailer jacked up, etc.

So - what if anything could I use as a reasonable reference for "level"? Can I assume the counter tops and/or table top in the cabin are supposed to be approximately "level" when the boat is sitting in calm water and 'factory' loaded?

Just curious what others do in this regard. The applications I'm thinking of don't have to be precise - I'm leaving my machinist's level in its case - but I'd like to at least use a common and reasonable reference... if that makes sense?

P.S. I'm not talking about anything that needs to be installed on a gimbal or anything, either... they'll be permanently attached to the boat, just wanting them to be "level" relatively speaking to other "level" things.

'08 Yamaha 90
KC3PO
srbaum

City/Region: Portsmouth
State or Province: VA
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 26 Venture
Vessel Name: Osprey
Photos: Osprey
PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2020 7:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gary,
I am finicky about keeping my boat level and trim during all times underway. On my 22 and now my 26, I installed a stick on level, above the center forward window an another over the starboard front window, about center.
I had the boat in the water, when I installed them and used the flat surface on the center of the console and a regular level and used my body weight to get the level, where I thought it was good enough, then in installed the small level gauges.
It is nice to cruise and with a quick glance at plane, to adjust my engine (I have a Permatrim) and trim tabs, to keep the boat where I consider it properly trimmed.
These are the levels that I used. I prepped the fiberglass surface above the windows with denatured alcohol.
https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/product/sun-company-lev-o-gage-ii-inclinometer-leveling-gauges-pack-of-2-306-r

OSPREY (Ex ADITI) 2007 26 Cape Cruiser 2018
Foggy

City/Region: Traverse City; Northern Lake Michigan
State or Province: MI
C-Dory Year: 2014
Vessel Name: Boatless in Boating Paradise
Photos: W B Nod
PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2020 9:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Exactly level at sea: It's purely subjective, not critical since, most of the time
underway, you're not 'level' and are constantly moving around in 3 planes - pitch,
yaw, and roll.

Even your expensive electronics and old world compass cannot keep you 'exactly'
on course either.

Here, close works. Go for whatever makes you comfortable.

Aye.
Grandpa used to say, "Don't get lost in meaningless minutia."
Grandma used to say, "Perfectionism only leads to disappointment."

hardee

City/Region: Sequim
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: Sleepy-C
Photos: SleepyC
PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2020 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WOW, level on a boat, now there is a can of worms.

I have a good friend who does interiors on high end boats, and even he doesn't have the answer to that, but he leans toward parallel, perpendicular and plumb.

Then you have fore and aft or abeam.

In my boat, I use the bottom of the front center window and use that as a guide to "level" for abeam. For for and aft, the counter top is parallel to the bottom of the side windows, and rarely is it parallel to the water outside unless I am at anchor. So, things that get mounted are parallel with either of those planes.

But, it's your boat, so what ever floats it, is probably level. What ever is comfortable to you eye will probably work.

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

Foggy

City/Region: Traverse City; Northern Lake Michigan
State or Province: MI
C-Dory Year: 2014
Vessel Name: Boatless in Boating Paradise
Photos: W B Nod
PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2020 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aaahhh. I remember now.

"She had curves above and below but a straight keel.
And, her decks were well worn but her bilge was kleen."

Priorities are important.

Aye.
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2020 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also use the stick on levels--one just under the helm seat window for fore and aft trim, and right behind the wheel for lateral--side to side trim.

Yes, the counter surfaces are as close to being level when the boat is on her lines. As I moved things around the boat, we try and keep her "level". But even in the 25, more so in the 22, if Marie is going to step outside to the cockpit, I ask her to notify me, and let me know what side she might be standing or sitting on, so I can have the trim tabs appropriately adjusted. I like having the "position" lights on the Trim tabs, so you have a fair idea of how much tab there is.

Does this mean I run the boat level for and aft? No, what ever is the best "attitude" for the sea conditions.

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
PNW_Wesley

City/Region: Vancouver
C-Dory Year: 2003
C-Dory Model: 19 Angler
Vessel Name: Zenith
Photos: Zenith
PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2020 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Prior to installing my radar dome, I downloaded lots pictures of Dory's that were side-on views. I imported them into PowerPoint, and drew a line along their roof line. PP then gave me the fore-aft pitch angle of the roof. While power settings and sea conditions affect the pitch, the majority of the boats I analyzed were in the 6 degree nose-up range, at a wide range of speeds.

This example is 7 degrees nose up.

On my boat, the side window sills are parallel to the roof. I taped my phone to the stbd sill, and via an app, measured the pitch angle through the full range of engine RPM. I recorded the pitch while increasing and decreasing the RPM. I used this method on several outings, with various sea conditions. The average of more than 70 measurements was close to 6 degrees nose up. The pitch at the speeds we most often cruise at is 6 degrees.

When it was time to chose a wedge for the dome to sit on, I chose 6 degrees down.

I can keep the roll axis fairly level by shifting my cargo totes in the aft cockpit.

When I'm in the fog on the Columbia, I like knowing that my dome is as level as I can make it. There are lots of things to bump into out there!

Prior water toys:
15' Smoker Craft
14' SOAR Inflatable Kayak
18' Sea Ray
28' Bayliner
19' Smoker Craft
16' Duracraft
14' Starcraft
thataway

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2020 10:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The horizontal beam of the radars is about 15* above and below the horizon. One consideration is that in dense fog one probably will use prudent seamanship, and be running at a much lower speed. This the boat will be more closely "Level". Because of this, I use a 3* angle for mounting radar.
colbysmith

City/Region: Madison
State or Province: WI
C-Dory Year: 2009
Vessel Name: C-Traveler
Photos: C-Traveler and Midnight-Flyer
PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2020 10:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All depends. If installing stuff inside the boat, I guess I use the countertop or ceiling as level. If installing stuff in the cockpit, I use the gunnels as level. Decals (boat name and number, level with the bottoms of the windows or top of the bow's sole. However, when installing my radome, I just took a swag and positioned it with the front a little lower than the rear. Due to the fact that rather I'm at displacement speeds or on plane, the boat is usually bow high.
Colby
T.R. Bauer

City/Region: Wasilla
State or Province: AK
C-Dory Year: 1993
Vessel Name: C-Whisperer
PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2020 11:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't make anything level really. I know this sounds nuts, but I try to make everything relatively level to everything else because I know nothing else is really level in the dang boat when I install stuff. Level underway? Good luck keeping that perfect. I think close to level, comfortable, and safe are probably enough.
NORO LIM

City/Region: Olympia
C-Dory Year: 2006
C-Dory Model: 23 Venture
Vessel Name: NORO LIM (sold 12/12/14)
Photos: NORO LIM
PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2020 1:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thataway wrote:
The horizontal beam of the radars is about 15* above and below the horizon. One consideration is that in dense fog one probably will use prudent seamanship, and be running at a much lower speed. This the boat will be more closely "Level". Because of this, I use a 3* angle for mounting radar.

Ditto. Night time and fog are the two times when radar mattered most to me. If I had to run in either condition, I was likely to be going very slowly.

PNW_Wesley

City/Region: Vancouver
C-Dory Year: 2003
C-Dory Model: 19 Angler
Vessel Name: Zenith
Photos: Zenith
PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2020 1:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thataway wrote:
One consideration is that in dense fog one probably will use prudent seamanship, and be running at a much lower speed. .

Bob - I will assume that you are not implying that I run at a speed that reflects imprudent seamanship.

My choice of optimum dome tilt was based on actual pitch angle measurements throughout MY boat's speed range, which includes a prudent speed for fog.
garyf

City/Region: Lincoln
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 1991
Vessel Name: C-Story
Photos: C-Story
PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2020 2:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PNW_Wesley wrote:
Bob - I will assume that you are not implying that I run at a speed that reflects imprudent seamanship.

I didn't see that as a dig at you, Wesley. I do appreciate you sharing your research and perspectives!

I had a feeling I'd get some interesting responses in this thread - and, as usual, you guys didn't let me down! Much appreciated.
hardee

City/Region: Sequim
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: Sleepy-C
Photos: SleepyC
PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2020 3:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is at a cruise speed of 10-11 knots, and shows both the horizon level and the cabin top and radome angles. Less that 6 or 7 degrees I think. I believe when I redid my radar strut, the angle wedge was 4 degrees.

I agree, when you really want the radar, FOG, (or dark - but I rarely do that), I will be at displacement speed = 3-4 knots, and I will be dialed in at 1 (or less) and 3 miles for the radar. I actually enjoy running in the fog, but hate going in the dark, although I have done both.

That photo of the 19 seems like it is not trimmed very well, maybe no trim tabs.

Harvey
SleepyCMoon

thataway

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2020 11:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PNW_Wesley wrote:
thataway wrote:
One consideration is that in dense fog one probably will use prudent seamanship, and be running at a much lower speed. .

My choice of optimum dome tilt was based on actual pitch angle measurements throughout MY boat's speed range, which includes a prudent speed for fog.

PNW Wesley, I am not rendering any judgement on your seamanship. I have been involved with water and boating safety for over 70 years. I take every opportunity to promote marine safety.

I also gave my rational for the 3* down angle that I use. I have a fore and (as well as an athwartships level, as discussed in another current thread), to determine my boat's running attitude or angle at any point in time. Thus I know what the angle is when I am proceeding in limited visibility conditions, be it fog, smoke, heavy weather or darkness.

We have many new boaters who visit this site. As I am typing this there are 81 people viewing the forum. Only 4 of those are registered members. We have had as many as 755 viewers on line at one point in time.

I do run my radar at times when there is not limited visibility, even though I have been using radar for over 40 years and accrued many thousands of hours on various brands and types. When I really need it, I am in go slow mode.

Conventional wisdom is that mounting down angle is somewhere between 2* and 6*. The average is 4*. Since I run the boat at dead slow to full displacement speed in limited visibility I choose 3*

If you are going to be running your boat in limited visibility, where your best angle is 6*, then you made the correct choice. It is laudable that you looked at photos of various C Dorys..but what is important is what your boat does when at the speed you will most likely need radar.

As an aside, the use of AIS both receivers and transceivers has become the standard for marine safety in limited visibility conditions also. I only have a receiver, but if I was boating in an area with high traffic, and significant limited visibility, I would have an AIS transceiver.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> General Technical Discussions All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: