View previous topic :: View next topic  
tparrent

City/Region: Apex
State or Province: NC
C-Dory Year: 2017
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: Tomfoolery
Photos: tparrent (TBD)
PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2020 4:10 pm    Post subject: iPad brackets and forum searches Reply with quote

Any suggestions on installing an iPad bracket? Brand, location, etc.

Any suggestions? Is that a serious question? Very Happy I know this has likely been covered many, many times but I am struggling with the C Brat forum search.

How can I search for specific phrases? Most searches I try result in either nothing or a dozen posts that don't actually cover the topic I'm looking for.

Teach a man to search and he won't annoy you with obvious questions Wink
JamesTXSD

City/Region: from island boy to desert dweller
State or Province: AZ
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: "Wild Blue" (sold 9/14)
Photos: Wild Blue
PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2020 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RAM Mounts. You can get a base that attaches to your dash, and then pick out attachments for your size iPad.
RobMcClain

City/Region: Summerlin, NV
State or Province: NV
C-Dory Year: 2006
C-Dory Model: 23 Venture
Vessel Name: Freedom
Photos: Freedom
PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2020 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I second the suggestion of using a RAM mount. I use one to hold my iPad Air and it has never popped loose. It has a solid suction cup base that really holds, even in some pretty uncomfortable conditions. Plus, I like that I can vary the screen display from horizontal to vertical, and vary the screen angle from nearly straight to leaning fairly far back - if that description makes any sense...

Rob
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2020 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

While you are at it, install a couple of 12V USB 2.4 amp outlets, we have one by the cig lighter and one on the forward shelf by navigator's seat. That will keep the I pad charged up.
Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
NORO LIM

City/Region: Olympia
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2006
C-Dory Model: 23 Venture
Vessel Name: NORO LIM (sold 12/12/14)
Photos: NORO LIM
PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2020 7:33 pm    Post subject: Re: iPad brackets and forum searches Reply with quote

tparrent wrote:
. . .I know this has likely been covered many, many times but I am struggling with the C Brat forum search.

How can I search for specific phrases? Most searches I try result in either nothing or a dozen posts that don't actually cover the topic I'm looking for.

I assume you have tried the on-site Google Custom Search feature in the box at the upper left of the page? Except for some ads that will appear at the top of your search results, that box will confine your search to the C-Brats site. You can refine your searches there by using standard Boolean search operators, like quotes around exact phrases. See: https://library.alliant.edu/screens/boolean.pdf

Personally, I have always preferred the Google Advance Search: https://www.google.com/advanced_search
You can really customize a search as well as limit it to a specific domain like the C-Brats. Just fill in the blanks. It works very well.

There are things no search system is going to overcome. There will always be the maddening high jacking of threads, misuse of terminology, repetitive posts, duplicate threads and assorted other characteristics of a happy band of disorganized amateurs talking about their favorite subject. In the end, a lot of time just plowing around more or less randomly will go a long way toward helping you know what to search for and how to find it. Anyway, annoying questions are just another of the many joys of this place.

Peter & Judy

City/Region: Olds
State or Province: AB
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Mistaya
Photos: Mistaya
PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2020 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use a Ram mount with a suction cup, holds rock solid, but I do have a safety cord on the mount.

HMCB Mistaya
"Mistaya" (Grizzly Bear in Cree)
HMCB (Her Majesties Cute Boat)
hardee

City/Region: Sequim
Vessel Name: Sleepy-C
Photos: SleepyC
PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2020 11:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bill, I loved your response. I have never used anything but the C-BRAT search. I learned that you have to use the "and" in all caps to do more than one word but often that works with 3 or 4 words. And Yes, there is always other stuff to sort through, but it is always fun Laughing

Thanks for all your comments here, Much appreciated.

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

Pat Anderson

City/Region: Birch Bay, WA
Vessel Name: Daydream
Photos: Daydream and Crabby Lou
PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2020 10:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is our iPad mounted on a RAM mount on the underside of the electronics shelf. There is a power cord that goes down to a USB power adapter in the 12 volt socket. This was how we navigated the Great Loop over eight months in 2017. We only used the antique Raymarine C-80 as a depth sounder and odometer since we did not have any cartography for it.

DAYDREAM - CD25 Cruiser
CRABBY LOU - CD16 Angler (sold 2020)
Pat & Patty Anderson, C-Brat #62!
http://daydreamsloop.blogspot.com

Hunkydory

City/Region: Cokeville, Wyoming
State or Province: WY
C-Dory Year: 2000
Vessel Name: Hunkydory
Photos: Hunkydory-Jay-and-Jolee
PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2020 12:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We have been using the IPad increasingly more each year for navigation & planning since 2011. Originally it was mounted like in this photo using a Ram mount.

Later, I lowered the IPad slightly by switching to a magnetic mount directly off the dash for better vision & used the Ram mount to hold the IPhone in a higher position with neither interfering with forward vision.

In 2011, we purchased the Navionics app on the ipad for 50 some dollars. Garmin stopped updating it & added a yearly subscription that cost 50+$ & I held out using the old downloaded maps on the app for several years, but with continual glitched on the old app, finally did the yearly subscription route, when it was lowered to about $25 per year & could be used on 3 devices. I’m extremely pleased with how it works & think the price now reasonable for my use on different IPads & the IPhone. In fact it has become my main navigation plotter & I presently use the older Garmin charts more for back up & different screen size views & to run the auto pilot. I plan to continue using the Navionics app until Garmin either discontinues the deal or makes the price not worth its advantages.

Jay

thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2020 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jay,, great reminder. It appears as if the US and Canada is currently $22 and US only (lakes and ocean) is $15, it may be a limited offer until Dec 30??.

I still have my old charts, preserved so far--but at that price, I'll subscribe again!

I also have been using Aqua Map because it has Active Captain overlaid. At this point it seems to have been mostly the older Active Captain--but since Garmin bought Active Captain, there have been far fewer new update. Aqua map is changing its plan because of some "conflict" with Apple. It will be available for free, but you have to download the new software. I don't know if it will still have active Captain.
Gene Morris

City/Region: Eureka CA
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: Reef Madness
Photos: Reefmadness
PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2020 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All of my mounts are RAM The co-pilot has her IPAD 12.9 mounted at her side with a RAM X mount and a 3 inch extension, Very easy to put the IPAD into and very secure. I also added a 12 volt outlet next to it.

I use her charts on Navionics more than I use the Garmin MFD at the helm.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: