HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Power stations

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Chuckpacific

City/Region: SW PDX
State or Province: OR
Vessel Name: Big Sky
Photos: Big Sky
PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2020 6:33 pm    Post subject: Power stations Reply with quote

Greetings,

Interested in feedback on power stations. Jackery anyone? What size do you recommend? Can they be used to power electric blankets?

Any feedback appreciated.

Chuck

bobjarrard

City/Region: Boulder City
State or Province: NV
PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2020 7:12 pm    Post subject: Here we go - first generators and now battery packs Reply with quote

Two great resources for info on battery packs and related gear - the best!!
Will is a A+++ top of the line - knows his stuff at
https://www.youtube.com/c/WillProwse/videos
And though he is off the wall, great info here on all the hot models plus RV coolers at
https://www.youtube.com/c/HOBOTECH/videos
And my #1 suggestion is the BLUETTI AC200P 2000w LiFePO4 Solar Generator
at https://www.bluetti.com/
Bob Jarrard
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2020 9:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That would be a very spendy way to power an electric blanket! The electric blanket will take 60 to 200 watts depending on size. Also the temperature both set on the blanket and ambient temperature. (depends on how much of the time the blanket is running)

Buy a "Kill A Watt" meter (about $30) it should be in every boat owner's kit. It will tell you how much the current draw is, and it will also tell you how much over a period of time: You plug it into the wall mains 110 V socket, and then the appliance into the Kill A Watt meter. It will give Volts, Hz, Amps, Watts, and total Killowatt hourscummulative. For example if you use the electric blanket at home, you can turn it on when you go to bed at night, and then look at the KW hours (or fractions) in the morning, and it will tell you how much it uses.

Basically the "suitcase power supplies" are a lithium battery and a inverter. You are probably better off buying your own battery and charging set up. Don't depend on solar in most of those setups. I have seen C Brats show up with one, and then be disappointed in that it didn't give the power needed. Basically if you want a robust system, it is DIY putting together premium LiFePO4 Batteries, with 12 volt charging capacity (Sterling battery to battery charger, or Victron B to B) and quality inverter, plus proper fuse, proper size wiring etc. Also battery monitor system. I use Victron 702 or 712 monitor.

Lets say it uses 100 watts X 8 hours (That would be 800 Watt hours or 0.8 KW hours) that is about 12 amps x8 hrs or about 96 amps. If you had two goup 31 batteries it would deplete them by about 50%. (as much as you want to draw down). If you had one 100 Amp hour battery LiFePO4 ($ 925 each) it would be marginal...

A decent "power station" for 1000 watt hours, would be in the $1000+ range. Some do not charge from 12volts, or require a pure sine wave inverter to charge the battery,

A good sleeping bag is a lot cheaper...and probably healthier..Even when living aboard we never used an electric blanket. (Including 5 seasons in AK)

Bob thanks for the links--most interesting and good info. What I am concerned about in the C Dory is how batteries perform in the marine environment and with the G loads and vibration we see in the boats. I went with Battle Born-=US company using quality cells, good engineers on site, who know what they are talking about and the construction is robust.

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
bobjarrard

City/Region: Boulder City
State or Province: NV
PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2020 10:10 pm    Post subject: Good counsel Reply with quote

Battle Born is right down the street from us here in Nevada. I agree that you can build better and cheaper than you can buy. The new Bluetti can charge from multiple sources including 12 volt batteries. Personally. I like Honda 2200 and a 60 amp charger/inverter but then that is why they have more than one flavor of ice cream, choices. Will just posted a battery charging in a freezer and and then being pulled down to zero. We live in an exiting time. I personally like wood fires, wool blankets, and hot coffee in a real Thermos. Hope all is well with the BRATS - good to read your words Bob.
bob
jkidd

City/Region: Northern, Utah
State or Province: UT
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Voyager
Photos: Voyager (JK)
PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2020 10:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You might want a truckers blanket there 12 volt and have timers on them run long enough to warm things up and get to sleep then shut off. I have a Goalzero Yeti 1000 Lithium that I use to run the laptop and charge electronics for off-roading it’s nice and they are expensive. The battery management in them will also give you all the info for power requirements. Like Bob says a good lithium battery. Paired with the 12 volt blanket and a charger would be cheaper than the battery pack.

thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2020 11:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
new Bluetti can charge from multiple sources including 12 volt
. I couldn't find that specific model, but some of the others stated that they required a Pure Sine Wave inverter to charge off 12 volts, which didn't seem to make a lot of sense, since many are using these with trucks, cars and boat.s. Good that they are now straight 12 volt positive.

What I did with my Yukon and we were traveling across country, was to put in a second group 27 with a VSR from the main start battery, and then (on and off switch) then run my freezer in the back of the truck directly off the extra 12 volt battery. In the New Ford, it comes with two batteries, so that is even easier...plus extra circuits to carry up to 40 amps. with overhead switches and relays near the batteries...f

Thanks!
Marco Flamingo

City/Region: Seattle
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2004
C-Dory Model: 16 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Limpet
Photos: Limpet
PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2020 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thataway wrote:
A good sleeping bag is a lot cheaper...and probably healthier.

We love our IKEA down comforter. It seemed expensive at the time, but now it seems like a bargain. Packs into a stuff sack. No worries about battery usage. No worries about condensation (because everything that can be left open is left open). Cold noses but warm everything else. Below freezing temps may require jammies.

Mark
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
hardee

City/Region: Sequim
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Sleepy-C
Photos: SleepyC
PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2020 1:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
"....Can they be used to power electric blankets?

Any feedback appreciated."

Quote:
"We love our IKEA down comforter. It seemed expensive at the time, but now it seems like a bargain. Packs into a stuff sack. No worries about battery usage. No worries about condensation (because everything that can be left open is left open). Cold noses but warm everything else. Below freezing temps may require jammies."

~~~~~~~~~~~

I started using a Fleece Sleeping Bag liner years ago, and if it is really cold (like near freezing), an extra fleece blanket wrapped under and over the sleeping bag. It is instantly warm when you get in, no cold spots, no battery issues, and unlike down, no concerns about moisture. Easy to pop into the wash machine after the trip and then good to go for the next one.

Harvey
SleepyCMoon

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Cabin, Interior All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: