The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Anchor light on 2017 TomCat

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> All C-Dorys, All The Time
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tparrent

City/Region: Apex
State or Province: NC
C-Dory Year: 2017
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: Tomfoolery
Photos: tparrent (TBD)
PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2020 6:17 pm    Post subject: Anchor light on 2017 TomCat Reply with quote

Anyone happen to know what the replacement LED on 2017 TomCat anchor light would be?

I'm three hours drive from the boat right now and want to order something so I'm ready next week.

Thanks!
gulfcoast john

City/Region: PENSACOLA
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2010
Vessel Name: Cat O' Mine
Photos: CAT O' MINE
PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2020 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi TP,

The usual advice would be to find the make/model on the light.

However, marine rated LED anchor lights will burn 24/7 for tens of thousands of hours without ‘burning out.’

Therefore, I would assume the problem is not a ‘burned out’ LED on a 2017 model, but more likely a ‘connection’ somewhere between the helm switch and the LED sealed module.

Anyway, pretty simple to find out where the problem is. It is between the NAV/ANC light switch (which may include a ‘pop up’ circuit breaker under a clear plastic cover...make sure it’s pushed in) and the LED module. You will need a multimeter to check for 12V power at the switch, any ‘connections’, and at the LED module mount. Do your red/green NAV lights come on? The ‘all around/anchor’ light should be ‘on’ in either the NAV or ANC switch positions.

I like Fluke,

https://www.testequipmentdepot.com/fluke/dmm/handheld/basic-multimeters/115.htm?msclkid=7f0c4c0dedb01ea6d33613cc778a673e&utm_source=bing&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=NFLU%2520-%2520Bing%2520Shopping%2520-%2520Fluke&utm_term=1100200702134&utm_content=Fluke%2520Bestsellers

...mainly because folks assume if you have one, you must know a lot more than you really do (Ha, ha!).

I searched and could not find a picture of your 2017 TC255. One listed for sale near Myrtle Beach, SC was a 2017, but with no pictures of a TC255. Did you buy that one? Is there a radar mount and ‘light bar’ leading up to the anchor light to be higher than a radar dome or other rooftop toys like dinghies or air conditioners?

In 2010 the factory was using Hella (I’ve replaced twice due to different radar mounts...I’ve never had a marine LED of any type fail unless due to ‘connections’).

In any event, you have no need to rush on this. You don’t even need that light unless you are cruising at night or anchoring out. (Try some luxe marinas early for the Ms). For B, you could sub a Davis Mega Lite cheaper than finding a replacement, and it also has many uses aboard over the next 20 years you (hopefully) are piloting your most excellent vessel.

https://www.anchorexpress.com/Davis-Mega-Light-Utility-Light-3300?msclkid=49b9d09f7f501788fe088f5ee018703d&utm_source=bing&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=**LP%20Shop%20-%20Davis%20Instruments&utm_term=4576304837839406&utm_content=59342%20%7C%20Davis%20Mega-Light%20Utility%20Light%20-%203300%20%7C%20%2429.99

Hope this is helpful. If this is the only issue on a new to you boat, you should be EXTREMELY grateful for your luck!

Order the Davis Mega Lite and drive down with it!

Cheers!

John

tparrent

City/Region: Apex
State or Province: NC
C-Dory Year: 2017
Vessel Name: Tomfoolery
Photos: tparrent (TBD)
PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2020 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Myrtle Beach boat is the one! Should close on it early next week.

I wondered about the LED burning out too. All I know for sure is that the all around white light did not go on during the survey. The red and green nav lights did operate properly.

The anchor light is on a gooseneck type connection to get around and above the radome.

I'll take a closer look when I get there. All manuals are on board and a West Marine is across the highway.
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2020 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congratulations on the purchase of a fantastic boat!

I agree with John, The problem is most likely a connection rather than the LED. I have seen LED's fail, but Many of the anchor light have multiple LED's in a 360 degree fashion--some have a single LED, and a upside down conical reflector. Take a volt meter with you if you want to trouble shoot it there. West Marine may or may not have a bulb. '

I have a bulb, but it was too big to fit inside the plastic lens of the 255. (The 2006 boats had incandescent lights) I figured I could use it in a pinch, without the plastic protection.

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
Danjenni

City/Region: Tenino
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2012
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: C-Ker
PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2020 10:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I came in after sundown today and noticed our new West Marine anchor light (led) was not lit! It’s been on there about a month. Replaced the one that we had for about a month and the reflector inside drooped down over the aft portion of the light obscuring it from the rear. Replacement has failed but I haven’t checked the power supply yet. Maybe just a defective batch.
hardee

City/Region: Sequim
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Sleepy-C
Photos: SleepyC
PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2020 11:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would be highly suspicious of the connection where the shaft up to the light plugs into the outlet at the bottom. That is really not a water proof connection and very likely to have some corrosion in there.

I normally do not put up my light un less conditions look like it might be needed. If/when I do put it up, (And it always has a cover cap on unless the light is up,) after plugging in the stalk, checking to be sure the light activates, I wrap the connection with black electric tape, and then cover that with "Rescue" tape, wrapping from the bottom up, to keep it sealed.

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> All C-Dorys, All The Time All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: