Windlass v700 lewmar - jammed

View previous topic :: View next topic  
krc

City/Region: SF Bay Area
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 2006
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Photos: krc
PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2023 7:50 pm    Post subject: Windlass v700 lewmar - jammed Reply with quote

Somehow I jammed up the windlass and had to manually pull up the anchor yesterday. I got back to the dock and no amount of pulling or using the "star" winch handle got this thing moving in any significant degree. I didn't blow a breaker - it just jammed. The pictures are below.

Anyone have an idea on a good approach"? Maybe take the block off that has the flat head screws to get at the jammed area? Maybe a longer lever arm on the star point?

thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2023 10:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It looks as if this is near where the rope is spliced to the chain. The line is pretty chewed up at this point. I would just cut this segment out, and resplcie the chain to some fresher rope. Maybe even end for end the anchor line which I do every few years anyway. Your windlass manual (on the internet if you don't have it) shows a good 3 strand to chain splice. I believe for that wheel, you want 1/4" G 40/43 HT chain. I like US chain--ARCO or Campbell.

The Vertical axis windlass has to have significant "fall" for the chain, and line to fall below the windless/deck. In this windlass case, it needs 12" below the deck to the top of the line or chain. I like to use 8 plait 1/2" nylon, US manufacture. The horizontal axis does not require this increased "fall", For small boats I suggest the horizontal axis, as it is much less likely to have this type of jam.

If you don't want to cut and resplice, I would back the clutch all of the way off. This will allow the combination rope chain gypsy wheel to be removed. Instructions:

Quote:
7.2 Gypsy replacement/service
• Check electric cables for damage. Repair/renew as required.
• Strip the above deck components, clean and lightly grease.
• Check motor/gearbox for corrosion, clean and repaint with a suitable marine grade oil based enamel paint.
• Remove electric motor cover and blow dust away from brushes using foot pump or similar taking care not to breathe any dust.
• Remove the Gypsy Drive Cap (31), anti-clockwise using the clutch operating lever.
• Withdraw the Drive washer (21)
• Remove the Socket Head Cap Screw (40) that retains the Stripper using a (5mm) Allen Wrench.
• Pull the Control Arm (30) back to clear the Gypsy
• Remove the Gypsy Assembly (37).

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
srbaum

City/Region: Portsmouth
State or Province: VA
C-Dory Model: 26 Venture
Vessel Name: Osprey
Photos: Osprey
PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2023 7:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

KRC,
Just replaced the same windless on my boat recently. Mine wouldn’t move and the breaker was not the problem. All of the troubleshooting information from the manufacturer stated that I had a bad motor. Ordered a motor and once received, took the windless apart to replace the motor. You have to open the gearbox, as part of the motor removal… the gearbox had broken bits, so that was the issue. Because of age, I decided not to replace gearbox parts and replaced the windless, with the same model.
First step that I would take on yours, would be to follow Dr. Bob’s advice. The splice will absolutely jam the windless.
PS, now I have a motor that I don’t need…

OSPREY (Ex ADITI) 2007 26 Cape Cruiser 2018
Marco Flamingo

City/Region: Seattle
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2004
C-Dory Model: 16 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Limpet
Photos: Limpet
PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2023 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I recently had a similar problem with the windlass on my big boat. The rode jammed at the line to chain splice, the chain backed up (doubled up), bending the pin that holds the finger that puts pressure on the chain or line to keep it in the gypsy. We ordered the part expedited mail from the East Coast U.S. supplier, but it apparently got caught up in customs while we waited 10 days in Desolation Sound for it to ship to Campbell River. Never showed.

But here is what I deduced caused the problem. I recently changed the rode from 3-strand to 8-plait as it stores better in the chain locker. My 8-plait has a strange hand in that it snags like a nylon stocking. Pull it across the dock and you can feel in dragging and see little fibers pull loose. That apparently doesn't effect the strength BUT that snagging can also happen inside the windlass. The down tube on my windlass had some tiny casting roughness that caught on the 8-plait fibers, holding it up just enough for the gypsy to try to send chain down next to it, causing a jam.

My McGiver fix was to line the windlass casting with Gorilla tape and create a smooth surface. Works fine, but probably not a permanent solution. I'm not sure there is a way to splice my rode without there being some residual fuzziness.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2023 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mark,
What brand is your 8 plait?
starcrafttom

City/Region: marysville
C-Dory Year: 1984
C-Dory Model: 27 Cruiser
Vessel Name: to be decided later
Photos: Susan E
PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2023 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Gorilla tape and create a smooth surface.

you could spray it with flex seal where you had the tape. it drys smooth and water proof.

Marco Flamingo

City/Region: Seattle
C-Dory Year: 2004
C-Dory Model: 16 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Limpet
Photos: Limpet
PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2023 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thataway wrote:
Mark,
What brand is your 8 plait?

Bob,

I don't remember the brand. It was from one of the big supply houses.

Mark
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Anchoring All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: