bridma

City/Region: Comox
State or Province: BC
C-Dory Year: 2009
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Nomad
Photos: Nomad
PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2021 10:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only anchor I trust is Manson Supreme. For self launching you may want to cough up a few more bucks and consider a Rocna.

Martin.
colbysmith

City/Region: Madison
State or Province: WI
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: C-Traveler
Photos: C-Traveler and Midnight-Flyer
PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2021 10:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Rocna didn’t seem to rate any higher than the Claw or Delta in the reports I saw. Yet I’ve heard from others here it is a good anchor. I’ve had good experience with the Delta so it’ll be interesting to see how the Claw compares to those experiences.

https://www.boatingmag.com/top-anchors-tested/

Last edited by colbysmith on Sat Feb 20, 2021 11:12 pm; edited 3 times in total
colbysmith

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2021 11:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Internet hassles...
DayBreak

City/Region: Monmouth, Or.
State or Province: OR
C-Dory Year: 2018
C-Dory Model: 23 Venture
Vessel Name: DayBreak
Photos: DayBreak
PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2021 12:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

An anchor often overlooked is the Mantus. For us, it always sets on the first try and never drags. Some people don't like the idea that it bolts together but we have had no problems using it in the PNW.
localboy

City/Region: Lake Stevens via Honolulu
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2007
Vessel Name: 'Au Kai (Ocean Traveler)
Photos: 'AU KAI
PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2021 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I replaced the Delta we had with a Vulcan. I can testify that when that thing sets...it SETS. First time we used it, it felt like it was gonna pull the bow under water. Laughing Wink

And it fits the roller. http://www.c-brats.com/modules.php?set_albumName=album2853&id=Vulcan_anchor&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_photo.php

NewMoon

City/Region: Holladay
State or Province: UT
C-Dory Year: 1991
Vessel Name: Cindy Sea
Photos: Cindy Sea
PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2021 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

localboy wrote:
I replaced the Delta we had with a Vulcan. I can testify that when that thing sets...it SETS. First time we used it, it felt like it was gonna pull the bow under water. Laughing Wink

And it fits the roller. http://www.c-brats.com/modules.php?set_albumName=album2853&id=Vulcan_anchor&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_photo.php

Same experience when I replaced a Bruce with a Rocna. Not only did it self-launch, but also it set with a bang. Great improvement on my 26-footer.

Cindy Sea (CD 22 Cruiser, from 1991 to 1998)
"Cruising in a Big Way"
hardee

City/Region: Sequim
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: Sleepy-C
Photos: SleepyC
PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2021 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Totally agree, I replaced my Delta Plow with the Rocna, and it sets very positively, but it sets solid. I would not go back.

Harvey
Sleepy Moon

thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2021 10:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree that the Manson Supreme, Vulcan, Ronca, Mantus are all basically the same type of generation 3 anchor. I had loved the Manson Boss, but for some reason it was discontinued. It is very similar to Vulcan.

My own experience with the Bruce/claw was not good, but others have had decent results. Colby should be fine in moderate winds--the problem is when there is a storm. We have the 25# Delta and the FX 11 available for the bow.

I anchored thousands of times with a genuine CQR--which today we consider an "inferior" anchor today.

Colby to test your splice, secure the chain to some strong point--such as a tree (padding so the can does not damage the tree, or chain to the hitch)., and the other end to your trailer hitch. Take it up easily, then a little fuel. You will be pleasantly surprised Tht your splice will be fine. One way to make it a little stronger is the whip where you doubled back after going around the link of chain. Taking a few passes of a needle thru the splice increase the working load substantially.

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
gulfcoast john

City/Region: PENSACOLA
C-Dory Year: 2010
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: Cat O' Mine
Photos: CAT O' MINE
PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2021 8:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Colby,

We still have a genuine Lewmar 25 claw in beautiful polished stainless steel that you can have for half list price.

I think we can all agree that the MOST important attribute of any anchor is that it looks real purty as a piece of bow jewelry artwork, and it does.

Happy storm anchoring!

John 'this dock IS my anchor in this storm'

alainP

City/Region: TUCSON
State or Province: AZ
C-Dory Year: 2011
Vessel Name: deja la
PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2021 10:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have to chime in on the Vulcan, I could not be more pleased with the performance or ...the look and fit on the bow.
colbysmith

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2021 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks John, But I have the old crusty looking 22 lb Claw that came with the boat. And unless it does a better job than the Delta, I'll probably pull it back off when I get back home, if not sooner, and then likely get rid of it. Colby
hardee

City/Region: Sequim
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: Sleepy-C
Photos: SleepyC
PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2021 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

colbysmith wrote:
Thanks John, But I have the old crusty looking 22 lb Claw that came with the boat. And unless it does a better job than the Delta, I'll probably pull it back off when I get back home, if not sooner, and then likely get rid of it. Colby

Colby,l I had a friend who had a old Bruce nock off with a bent shaft who took it out of service and put it into the front yard as "Yard art", but after so many people asked him what it was, he decided it didn't work there (either), so it went to a scrap metal recycler. Rolling Eyes

I did use a similar anchor on my last sailboat for several years, but it was mostly just a lunch hook there.

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

real550A

City/Region: Stuart
C-Dory Year: 2004
Vessel Name: Deep C
Photos: Deep C
PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2023 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The key to a claw type anchor is to have enough chain, so it doesn't "lift" when the boat pulls. Keep the eye of the anchor down, and the claw digs deeper. If the eye lifts off the bottom, the claw will drag parallel, thus not setting itself.
I have held well an Albin 27 with a 22lb Bruce in 30-35mph winds, and slept well also.
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2023 11:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

real550A wrote:
The key to a claw type anchor is to have enough chain, so it doesn't "lift" when the boat pulls. Keep the eye of the anchor down, and the claw digs deeper. If the eye lifts off the bottom, the claw will drag parallel, thus not setting itself.
I have held well an Albin 27 with a 22lb Bruce in 30-35mph winds, and slept well also.

The chain will alway "lift" as the wind increases. At about 40 knots of breeze, the chain will become bar tight. Depends on the type of boat, air profile, and a host of other factors. If you were in 30 to 35 m p H winds, the chain would be off the bottom, and with little catenary. The weight/size of chain makes a difference.
'There are too many factors with chain to make it simple. Earl Heinz consulted with me on the more modern anchors in the last edition of his book on anchoring. I had done a number of tests with the modern anchors at that tune,

For comparison the Danfroth 70lb and 70 CQR set and held in 90 knots of wind, off Pt. St Helena Costa Rico in a sheltered cove.. The CQR had 160 feet of 3/4 inch High Test chain, and the Danforth has 50 feet of 3/4" High Test Chain. Again, lots of issues with proper acirubg,

For us, a 22lb "Bruce" Was taken abeam, to use as an anchor to pull our 65,000 lb, 62' Ketch off a dock. We dropped it out multiple times, and each time it was winched home, We could not get it to set in 8 attempts. The scope was> about 10:1. I set a 12 Lb HT Danforth. It set on the first deployment and allowed us to pull the boat off the dock. Chain was 50 feet of 5/16 on both anchors. (Used the same rode for both anchors" The cobble stone anchorages occasionally found in the PNW seem to be best handled by the Bruce. The Bruce or Claw is rarely used on the East Coast, and especially in Florida. Anchors are sometimes like Religion...
real550A

City/Region: Stuart
C-Dory Year: 2004
Vessel Name: Deep C
Photos: Deep C
PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2023 6:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My experience with the Albin was actually on the north end of Lake Worth, near W. Palm Beach, FL. with a strong south wind.
Of course, the weight of the anchor and size of the chain makes a huge difference, I agree.
My Key West 2020WA dragged an 11lb Danforth all night, last winter in Islamorada. I switched to an 8kg Bruce, and she set quickly and holds well.
Yes, like religion is an accurate statement!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Anchoring All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5

Jump to: