View previous topic :: View next topic  
tparrent

City/Region: Apex
State or Province: NC
C-Dory Year: 2017
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: Tomfoolery
Photos: tparrent (TBD)
PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2020 9:07 pm    Post subject: Securing the anchor Reply with quote

I know that basic seamanship generally calls for securing the anchor and not relying on the windlass to hold it. So I set about trying to secure the anchor on my TomCat by taking a line from either the chain or the anchor itself to one of the cleats sitting either side of the windlass. Unfortunately, the angles prevent that from working. No matter how tight I pull the line, if I let even a link out of the windlass to relieve pressure, the roller tilts up in its deploying position.

Looking at it again, I figure I MIGHT be able to run a line from cleat to cleat, through the chain and pull it tight. I'll try that next trip.

However, as I was sitting on the bow looking at it, I began to wonder if I really wanted to secure it. More than once, I have had to deploy an anchor in an emergency. Each time, I was on a sailboat without a windlass so I ran to the bow, pulled the pin out of the roller and let the rode run free. Any delay could have cost me the boat.

To be fair, I was also on a big sailboat heading out the St Lucie inlet once in wicked conditions and the anchor was NOT secured (not my boat) and it went overboard at the worst possible time. Almost pitchpoled us backwards before the rode snapped.

Here's the issue as I see it. On the TomCat, if I had the anchor tied down and needed to deploy it in an emergency, I would have to exit the cabin, slide along the gunwale in conditions that almost by definition wouldn't be good, untie the line, go back along the side of the cabin, reenter and finally release the windlass.

That's a lot of time and movement when things are getting sporty.

I could not figure out how to release the windlass while AT the windlass. May need to investigate that but I see lots of broken finger possibilities (on the other hand, if I lose power at the wrong time, I wouldn't have a way to release the anchor without some sort of override).

Balancing risks, it seems to me that it might be safer to simply leave the anchor unsecured and rely on that beefy windlass to hold it - but I am open to being corrected on that.

Of course, another obvious backup plan would involve having a second anchor ready to deploy from the cockpit in an emergency. I've almost always had a spare anchor on board my boats. If I can figure out how to stow a second one in a ready to go condition, then I would secure the bow anchor.

How do you all handle this?

Is there a way to manually release the windlass?

Thanks
tparrent

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2020 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Apparently, I can release the windlass

https://www.lewmar.com/node/1182

I'll keep a proper sized wrench handy
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2020 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your windlass should have come with an "installation tool", this includes the1/2" square socket handle which fits the windlass gypsy to release the chain by decreasing the friction of the clutches.

There are several ways to secure the anchor /chain. One is a a Lemar chain tensioner:

The other is a chain stopper:

or a anchor lock:

As far as getting to the anchor--go the shortest distance....thru the forward hatch! You can often release the chain stopper or windlass without even getting out of the hatch...Yes, you might mess up the bunk, or even get water on it--better than some other options.

On our larger sailboats we carried a piece of heavy water proof canvas or vinyl in case we had to untangle a chain snarl in the anchor locker on the V berth...Chain gets tossed when sailing in heavy weather--and occasionally it has to be sorted out by hand.

If you think you are going to be in a dangerous situation, then consider taking the preventer off the anchor. On our Tom Cat we had the cleat aft of the windlass, and took a small braided line to the cleat--same as we do on the 25.

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
tparrent

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2020 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Through the hatch - hadn't thought of that! I'll poke my head through and see if I can reach the cleat. That would solve the problem.

The other solutions require more holes in the boat. I'm saving all of my holes (and reinforcing existing hardware) until I find someone reliable to do the work. No one has ever called me reliable when it comes to DIY so I'm leaving that to a pro.
thataway

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2020 10:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are ways of tensioning rope. The easiest for the triangle would be to make the pass thru the shackle and each base of the cleat. Then tie the two ends of the line together, with a long "tail. You can use two bowlines, or a bowline and a sheet bend, so that the joining of the ropes are fairly tight. Then take that tail, and pass thru a mid link of the chain, near where you put the sheet bend. Take it around the other leg of the triangle, and then pull her tight-take a couple of turns, and finish off with a couple of half hitches...
hardee

City/Region: Sequim
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Sleepy-C
Photos: SleepyC
PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2020 1:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I realize I am way over on the other end of the spectrum here, so I will say my peace, then ducjk and take the flack.

When I am towing, (and not I know it is not a TomCat, but is in respect to the anchor/windless issue,) the anchor is tied so it cannot possibly deploy onto the pavement at 60 MPH. When I launch, I untie the anchor and snug it up with the windlass. Since I singlehand nearly exclusively, I make it a point to NOT have to go up onto the foredeck. If I need to deploy the anchor I have 2 switches to flip. "Windlass Power ON", and then "Down". Takes 2 seconds from the helm.

I have tried going through the hatch, but the windlass controls are at the helm, so it would require opening the hatch (which is always latched), then to release the anchor, then go to the helm and drop the anchor. Over 1500 hours and it still works like it should.

Harvey
SleepyCMoon

PNW_Wesley

City/Region: Vancouver
C-Dory Year: 2003
C-Dory Model: 19 Angler
Vessel Name: Zenith
Photos: Zenith
PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2020 10:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My windlass is a Maxwell HRC-FF6. I also bought a rope/chain rode from Maxwell, and it plays beautifully through the gypsy.

I use a wired remote which allows me to stand on the berth and have good visibility to what the rode is doing, especially when lowering it. The windlass puts it out at 100 feet per minute, and one needs to ensure the slack rode has not drifted under the boat. I press the remote for about 10 seconds at a time, and then wait for the current to take up the slack.

The remote also lets me be close to the bow roller as the anchor is coming out of the water and coming through the roller. It gives me better control of the mating process.

While towing, the anchor is held securely by a strap from Lewmar.

Prior to putting the boat in the water, I undo the safety strap, and connect the loose end to the deck eye bolt. The strap gets reconnected when I'm back on land.

I do not have to get onto the deck while anchoring.

colbysmith

City/Region: Madison
State or Province: WI
C-Dory Year: 2009
Vessel Name: C-Traveler
Photos: C-Traveler and Midnight-Flyer
PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2020 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do as Harvey does. My anchor is secured when the boat is on the trailer. But on the water, unless I'm on a local small lake, I take the elastic cord off the anchor so that it's always ready to deploy. Once it's deployed for an overnight anchorage, I will tie the rode off on a cleat right behind the windlass. (For short lunch stops, I just trust the windlass to hold tight.) Regarding the small 1/2" drive wrench Lewmar provides with their windlasses, it may not be enough. The way the newer fishpro windlasses work, the gypsy clutch seems to tighten up each time the windlass is used. I bent my small Lewmar provided wrench trying to loosen that clutch. I'll be adding a larger breaker bar to my tool kit! BTW, I stopped using the windlass in it's freefall mode and went back to powering down and up. (The free fall mode used a button release to loosen the clutch when you pressed the down switch. Then when you hit up, that same button caused the clutch to lock down tighter. Because of the windlass's features, even when not placed in it's free fall availability mode, the clutch continually has pressure on it to tighten up when pulling the anchor up...) Colby
Peter & Judy

City/Region: Olds
State or Province: AB
Vessel Name: Mistaya
Photos: Mistaya
PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2020 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are some good tips here. On my 22 I have made a couple of modifications to secure the anchor rode better. Normally the rode would be tied off to the cleat behind the windlass. But there is a problem here in that as the rode goes through the bow roller and as the boat swings on anchor, there is chaffing that occurs on the rode from the front of the bow roller. I solved this problem by installing two additional cleats one each side of the bow about 2 feet back. Now when I drop the anchor, I tie off first to the main cleat. Then I attach a line to the rode a couple of feet out from the bow with a prussic knot which allows me to slide the line down the rode and take the tension off the bow roller and avoid chaffing the rode. There now is no tension on the bow roller, windlass or on the main cleat.

HMCB Mistaya
"Mistaya" (Grizzly Bear in Cree)
HMCB (Her Majesties Cute Boat)
hardee

City/Region: Sequim
Vessel Name: Sleepy-C
Photos: SleepyC
PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2020 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I forgot to mention that I do not use free fall. I think for the same reason. AND, not that much difference in time to "hook up" when you only have 10 feet to the bottom.

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

thataway

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2020 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Folks have to remember that the windlass, anchor roller, cleats and space is considerably different on the Tom Cat 255.

Not only is there the "wired" remote for the windlass, which is very easy to make if you don't want to pay the $100 for the "factory" one. There is a wireless remote ($270). and the option to put up down switch on the foredeck--as is common in most larger vessels. All you are doing is triggering relays (a few windlasses are direct wired thru the switch, and if that is the case, then the only option is deck mounted switches.
gulfcoast john

City/Region: PENSACOLA
C-Dory Year: 2010
Vessel Name: Cat O' Mine
Photos: CAT O' MINE
PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2020 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We’ve used the Lemar wireless remote fob for years. Bob's $270 quote beats this.

https://www.westmarine.com/buy/lewmar--three-button-wireless-remote-windlass-only--11866852?recordNum=4

The review critical of the transceiver board water resistance is not valid; mine is installed under the helm with other wiring hubs. Power to the remote system is cut with the windlass thermal breaker. I keep that breaker ‘Off’ at all times including trailering except when anchoring. In our case (which may be unique), the windlass clutch grips the chain so tightly that I can’t pull the anchor out of position even with power off, so I no longer secure it otherwise except for long trailering trips. I don’t pamper the windlass by taking the pressure off. The encryption system takes about 5-7 seconds for the wireless remote fob to handshake with the transceiver when first turned on and shuts down on timeout. Oddly, the windlass motor runs faster when using the remote system. “Down” is powered down, but still plenty fast and does not require touching the windlass. My 2010 vintage solenoid had to be replaced with the newer model. Total ran almost a Boat Unit with pro install, but well worth it for us.

If I were singlehanding, it would be the 3rd most important item after the kill switch lanyard and a ladder that allows self rescue from the water if I went overboard.

When anchoring, we let out some extra chain and attach a G4 US made HD chain hook BEYOND the end of the roller bail to a 12 foot nylon line. Although the line can chafe a bit going up over the rub rail, I just inspect it and replace this line every 2 years or so.

A wireless remote windlass fob would be a great gift this season!

Happy shopping!
John

thataway

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2020 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
We’ve used the Lemar wireless remote fob for years. Bob's $270 quote beats this

Defender first has the unit for $264.65

The Defender price on the "new" sealed solenoid is $114.89. There may be some even lower prices. The marine "accessory markup" is in the 60% range. Electronics are only about 10% markup, unless manufacturer sale. For many items such as bolts and screws, a good industrial hardware will have items of high quality at far less prices.

I consider West Marine as a "last resort, if you need something right away." Occasionally you can get some bargains.
cmetzenberg

City/Region: Santa Barbara
State or Province: CA
Vessel Name: Kanaloa
Photos: Kanaloa
PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2020 10:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So i've never had my wildcats slip, i've never had the chain skip. This is in all kind so rough conditions. I'm all about redundancy but has anyone ever had their gear pay out accidentally?

07' Tomcat 255 "Kanaloa"
87' Boston Whaler Guardian 17 (BlackFlag, 03-14)
colbysmith

City/Region: Madison
State or Province: WI
C-Dory Year: 2009
Vessel Name: C-Traveler
Photos: C-Traveler and Midnight-Flyer
PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2020 11:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I consider West Marine as a "last resort, if you need something right away." Occasionally you can get some bargains.

I know WM can be kind of slow at times, however they will price match. And if you have one local, you can always ship free right to them. And returning merchandise back to the store is a lot easier as well. At least for our closest WM in Madison. Colby
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: