The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

03/09 - 3/11 - Hontoon Island CBGT DeLand Florida
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> C-Brat Cruises and Gatherings
View previous topic :: View next topic  
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2021 10:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
"You want the "Kingfisher" maps. Noth and Central will cover most of what we do. If you want to go to Jacksonville and The Atlantic Ocean, then also get South"
I thought Jacksonville was North of Deland?

OOPs, you are correct! St Johns river runs North. Up river is South and down River is North. Just the reverse of what I stated. Thanks for catching that...!!

We have our second vaccine on the 6th of Feb. However we will still continue to socially distance and wear N 95 masks.

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
Avidmagnum12

City/Region: Ocklawaha
C-Dory Year: 2011
Vessel Name: C-Otter
Photos: C-Otter
PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2021 8:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looking forward to seeing everyone at the gathering. Just a few notes. We will be having our fund raising auction again this year so bring your nautical treasures with you for sale. All proceeds will go to bettering Hontoon Island state park. The auction will be held under the trees this year for everyones safety. Bring your own pencil or pen. Schedule for auction will depend on weather.

We’ve decided for simplicity this year to not have potlucks, as much as I’ve enjoyed them in the past. We will plan on Publix chicken, buns and potato salad on Tuesday night and do Pizza on Wednesday evening. Joyce and the other ladies will get a consensus on what pizzas are to be ordered. Thursday night will be leftover food. Bring your own additional food, dishes and silverware.

If anyone wants to grill out you’re welcome to do so. Bring your own meat. I’m not a fan of Pizza so I’ll have a charcoal fire going on Wednesday.

I’m looking for volunteers to give some C-Dory seminars. They can be on overall subjects, trip planning, boat problems or you name it.

Boat gadgets and galley gadgets has become one of our favorite activities and will be part of this years fun time. Prizes will be awarded!

That’s all for today. My typing finger is wearing out. Be safe!

2011 CD 25 "C-Otter" 07/2015 to present
2011 CD 25 "My Girl" 06/2015 renamed C-Otter
2004 CD 22 Commuter "Out2C" 03/10 to 06/15
colbysmith

City/Region: Madison
State or Province: WI
C-Dory Year: 2009
Vessel Name: C-Traveler
Photos: C-Traveler and Midnight-Flyer
PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2021 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

At this time, we are still planning on being at the gathering. Looks like we'll be launching around the 1st of March, and cruising on the river prior to the gathering. Then cruising for another week or so after the gathering. As Bob mentioned earlier, we will hold to the social distancing and masking up when in proximity of others. If folks don't want to follow those habits, we'll plan on departing from the gathering early and continue enjoying the river in more isolation. Rosanne gets her last vaccine this Monday, but I have not yet gotten the vaccine. (Rosanne is a nurse, so was able to be in the first group. I may get mine in the second group as a substitute school bus driver, but haven't gotten any dates yet.) I also plan to bring some items for the auction. Specifically the marine head, macerator and Y-valve I pulled from C-Traveler. If the 6 gal water heater doesn't sell on ebay, I'll also have that. A 15x13 3 blade aluminum prop with one tip bent but didn't notice any vibration at various speeds. A couple of air filters for the Merc 115 4 -stroke (old style with foam element), and a used starter motor for that Merc. And possibly a large bow anchor roller. If anyone is interested in any of this stuff before the auction, let me know. I would expect a donation to C-Brats or the Hontoon gathering in lieu of putting it in the auction. Very Happy
Definitely looking forward to getting out of Wisconsin's cold and snow and trying out the new Load Rite trailer I just had C-Traveler set on. Colby
Lew 25

City/Region: Billings
State or Province: MT
C-Dory Year: 1996
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: CAT CLAW
PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2021 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Colby, If you still have the fishing rod holders bring them along. I'll get them at the auction if we make it. Lew
colbysmith

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2021 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They are in the box of stuff. Smile
colbysmith

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2021 10:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As much as I love this gathering, after some more discussion with Rosanne, I think we are going to back out this year. Just feel it's probably not in our best interest with Covid still raging, and with all the new variants. We still plan to be on the St. John's River, cruising, and always a slight possibility we could pop in for a night to take on water or get a good recharge on the batteries. This gathering is one I look forward to each year, and it's been a great time socializing with fellow C-Brats. But take away the socializing, for us anyway, we've already seen the park, so would rather spend the time on the water and with how our time allotment falls, we can extend our range quite a bit without a break in the middle. So we may still see some of you on the river somewhere. Otherwise, it'll be back on our calendar for 2022. Colby
Avidmagnum12

City/Region: Ocklawaha
C-Dory Year: 2011
Vessel Name: C-Otter
Photos: C-Otter
PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2021 11:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good Morning C-Brats
We are still scheduled to hold our Hontoon Gathering as planed. Florida allows outdoor groups of up to 50.

With that said ......if anyone is concerned, not feeling well, has COVID or will not do the best they can to maintain a safe environment....do not attend. Everything in life has risk and we will do everything we can to keep it to a minimum. Enough said.

Socializing can be done at a distance. We will space out tables and chairs. Bring your own chairs and eating utensils. Plan on at least a couple of seminars. Dr. Bob will hold an open discussion on boat mods and I will go over what I learned about tow vehicles. Anyone have something else to bring up let me know.

Anyone that will not be coming please remove your name from the signup list.

Everyone that is coming also signup on this link.

https://form.jotform.com/60634279765163

This is a way to share contact information.

Thanks 🙏 looking forward to a great gathering!
WeekiTiki

City/Region: Weeki Wachee
C-Dory Year: 2003
Vessel Name: Just Cruisin'
Photos: WeekiTiki
PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2021 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just cancelled

Wife is going with me for a week in May

Reservations across the river at Hontoon Landing

See Y'all in '22

Molly Brown

City/Region: Punta Gorda
C-Dory Model: 24 Tomcat
Vessel Name: MOLLY BROWN
Photos: Molly Brown
PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2021 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We are still moseying around Florida on our way to Hontoon. I think 99% of us have a VHF radio and I bet over half of us have portable radios too. We could always talk via radio and if you see me on the river mine is on and ready. It's about time I learn to use the ship to ship feature. My MMSI is 338191919. By the way, what is the official channel this year?

James, Betty and cat Luna (first cat ever and soooo much easier than a dog Laughing )

colbysmith

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2021 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi James, I'll stick your MMSI in my radio's call list. I've also got an AIS transceiver, and during the days and for about an hour after I anchor for the night and then about an hour before we pull anchor, I have it transmitting. My MMSI number is 338131849. The DSC calling works pretty well, once you figure out just how it works. lol. There is also a general C-Brats MMSI group number. That number is 036697831. You can enter that in your group page. Great for putting out an all call for any C-Brats within VHF range. But only works for those that enter that in their radio under the specific group entry. (Not to be confused with your own personal issued MMSI number.)

Colby

Last edited by colbysmith on Wed Feb 03, 2021 9:01 pm; edited 1 time in total
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
C-Dory Year: 2007
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2021 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

James the last few years we have used channel 72. Also any of the boaters nearing the marina, monitor channel 72. There will be people there to help guide you to your slip (just remember the number!).
Molly Brown

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2021 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Colby and Bob. Channel 72 it is. No AIS but I'll familiarize myself with the radio this time around. I remember being on the Econ with Bob and Marie when some kind of MMSI emergency signal went off super loud. All I could do was to turn off the radio. Currently in Vero Beach headed that way! Since we left early January the excitement for this year's gathering is simmering, lol

James
hardee

City/Region: Sequim
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: Sleepy-C
Photos: SleepyC
PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2021 11:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Molly Brown wrote:
Thanks Colby and Bob. Channel 72 it is. No AIS but I'll familiarize myself with the radio this time around. I remember being on the Econ with Bob and Marie when some kind of MMSI emergency signal went off super loud. All I could do was to turn off the radio. Currently in Vero Beach headed that way! Since we left early January the excitement for this year's gathering is simmering, lol

James

On most VHF radios, When that DSC Emergency or Call signal comes in, (the loud screech/beep) all you have to do is push any button and look at the VHF display. It will tell you what button to push next, either accept or ignore. Take your pick.

You're Welcome Wink

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

Molly Brown

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2021 7:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Harvey!
I imagine your probably as close to an expert since you have 3 radios at your helm and a portable too. When you make it to Hontoon some year I’ll nominate you to give a talk 😃 With that screeching going on I couldn’t think clearly so I just made it stop. Not much help for the guy in trouble though. If I recall correctly we later found out it was a false alarm.

James
hardee

City/Region: Sequim
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: Sleepy-C
Photos: SleepyC
PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2021 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

James, I'm probably a long way from an expert (Oh, well depending on the definition. I've heard that an "expert" can be defined as "X" "Spurt" or an unknown drip under pressure Rolling Eyes Well that might fit Confused

I know the feeling when that first DSC "Screech" goes off. I checked all my alarms, inside and outside, and it just kept going . . . and going . . . and going Twisted Evil

After I learned, it's not soo bad, but it is not something one would sleep through. Guess that is why they made it that way. I have learned that when I call the big ships out here for visualization confirmation and crossing clearance, they do prefer a call on 13 for the ship name instead of the DSC. BUT, that DSC does work if an audio call is ignored too many times.

Take care and stay safe,

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> C-Brat Cruises and Gatherings All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 4 of 9

Jump to: