The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

03/09 - 3/11 - Hontoon Island CBGT DeLand Florida
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> C-Brat Cruises and Gatherings
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LesR

City/Region: St. Louis
State or Province: MO
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Intuition
Photos: Intuition
PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2021 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We're signed up and reserved 3/8 - 3/11.

Kel and Les Rohlf
colbysmith

City/Region: Madison
State or Province: WI
C-Dory Year: 2009
Vessel Name: C-Traveler
Photos: C-Traveler and Midnight-Flyer
PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2021 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

With only two months to go, maybe now's a good time to think about how this year's gathering will compare to past years. This has been my most favorite annual event, and I start looking forward to it the day after I'm heading back home from the "after cruise". That being said, I want to be honest that Rosanne and I may elect to skip the main event and take off on our own or with a very small group, to cruise. Covid is still creating havoc and I don't think many of us will be vaccinated by then. Nor do I think we'll be anywhere near the clear of the virus. I don't know about others, but I find it very hard to socially distance when with folks I only get to see once a year or not very often. Both Rosanne and I take the whole Covid thing very serious, and we do prescribe to the advice of the medical experts. So much of our social life has been affected by the virus, and thus far we've both managed to stay healthy. As much as I think there can still be a gathering with reasonable numbers, I think folks will need to follow the advice of the medical experts, including the wearing of masks and social distancing. I think this will prevent or at the very least, restrict eating together and meeting together. with any large group. This would affect the talks, potlucks, campfires, auction, boat visitations, etc. So in essence I'm just not sure we can maintain the same past atmosphere of the gathering while remaining compliant with the pandemic guidelines. I'm speaking only for Rosanne and I.
Again, the Hontoon gathering is my first opportunity of the new year to get out of frigid Wisconsin and get the boat back in the water. The gathering has always been two events for me. The actual 3 days at Hontoon, then the week or two of cruising mostly after the gathering.
I haven't canceled our reservations yet, and at this time still plan to be on the St. John's River in March. But I did want to put this out there to see what others thought, and to give Tom and Joyce some input for planning.
Colby
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2021 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Colby and all. I have talked with Tom and Joyce about our concerns which are very similar to yours. As many know I have very serious heart disease and consider a COVID 19 as very serious threat. At 84 apparently I am considered elderly.
We hope to have been vaccinated by March--but the way it is going--no one knows.

Our philosophy is that we are planing to go, to face mask (N95 or equiv) and social distance. I will not be shy about asking for social distancing. I agree that there is no chance of visiting aboard other's boats. Camp fires are still a possibility. Meals can be run one of several ways. Eating on our boats with our own food is safest. There are some other options, including distribution of cooked burgers or Publix Fried chicken--and a few may want to do separate barbecue and eat socially distanced. Pot luck has more challenges.

Auction may be possible, but again requires rigid control of social distancing. Talks also could be done with the distancing--inclding Joyce's best gadgets. All of these activities require innovation from what has been done in the past to meet with standards.

I am concerned about the restrooms if crowded. That is an area which has historically been an issue of spread of virus in studies. This will mean on board use of head facilities much of the time.

Risk exposure equals virus load (number of virus particles in the expired air/droplets, which is also mitigated by masks and distance) X length of time exposure. Passing on the dock is relatively very safe. Talking 2 feet apart for 30 minutes is not.

There are plenty of activities to do. Walks, dinghy and boat trips from the base of the Hontoon Marina. We especially enjoy dinghy trips to the Hontoon Dead River with bird and wild life watching..

We are planing arrive on Friday with reservations each night because this will be the first boat trip with the new dog. If there is violation of the social distancing or masks, we will move on to do our own cruise, and if like minded wish to join us and stick with the rules that is fine.

If all is going well, we plan on staying another week and doing a cruise with a few of the other boats as we have done in the past.

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
gulfcoast john

City/Region: PENSACOLA
C-Dory Year: 2010
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: Cat O' Mine
Photos: CAT O' MINE
PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2021 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For those Brats who are not familiar with state park reservations made through Reserveamerica.com...it’s not easy to find their cancellation policy, but for cancellations 14 days prior until right up to the day of your reservation, it boils down to $16 plus the first night’s state park fee. If you cancel before the 14 days prior, it’s only $16 to cancel. Cancellations can be done online.

https://www.reserveamerica.com/showPage.do?name=common&commonPath=/usa/ky/kyfeesmain.html#:~:text=Cancelling%2014%20days%20or%20less,reserveamerica.com%20or%20Contact%20Us

I figure we can all stay mellow while we see how things including vaccination progress plays out. There are no big reservation fees at risk.

Speaking of reservation fees, we’ll be heading down to Marathon in the Keys Jan 20 and staying at Faro Blanco Marina and Resort, then heading up to the Hontoon Hoot around March 6 (Jan 30-Feb 6 we have a rental house with dock). Marathon has a good bike/walking path along Ocean Highway and a Publix, Home Depot and West Marine nearby with Amazon Prime 2 day shipping. Due to the occasional Artic blast from the north (avg 2 days out of every 7-10 days), you can not count on every day being a CD boating day. Weather:

https://weather.com/weather/tenday/l/18b370aeb22212062b1eb7b5f85d88b60c4c04345d1e69e9665aba1af493ef92

Make a reservation here

https://www.faroblancoresort.com/

You can cancel with no fee 72 hours prior, but you pretty much need a reservation this time of year. I believe it was $1900/month flat rate for up to 29 feet plus power. Launch at the 33rd street ramp (no overnight trailers). We’ll have to arrange trailer storage. I found a new resource for finding rig storage...Neighbor.com, select boat trailer or vehicle storage for informal parking in back and side yards, negotiation is much more tolerated than at commercial storage businesses.

Colby, good spot to start a South Florida Loop cruise via the OK waterway! Best marinas with rig storage would be Founders Park Plantation (steep single ramp), Garden Marina at Cudjoe Key, and Garrison Bight city marina, Key West.

Stay safe and well!
John

colbysmith

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2021 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It’s tempting John. But I’d have to leave the bride home to shovel or plow snow and I don’t think she’d be happy about that... Xmas Tongue
hardee

City/Region: Sequim
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Sleepy-C
Photos: SleepyC
PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2021 12:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some good consideration regarding gatherings here. We are not past Covid by any stretch of the imagination. Our C-BRAT population is typically on the verge of being high risk, and I think we need to consider n one of us are 10 tall and bullet proof anymore.

Thanks you for your thoughts Colby, Bob and John.

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

Avidmagnum12

City/Region: Ocklawaha
C-Dory Year: 2011
Vessel Name: C-Otter
Photos: C-Otter
PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2021 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Happy New Year all.
It is getting time to think about the gathering. At this time Florida State parks are open to outside groups of 50 with restrictions. I personally think we can do this with minimal risk.

Here’s what I’d like to see.

Social distance and masks when with others.

Bring your own chairs and utensils for eating. I plan to go to Publix for chicken, potato salad, buns etc. one night. Burgers, hot dogs and coleslaw one night. We might skip potluck....I’m open to suggestions. One suggestion is that we may ask for volunteers to bring different dishes to share and serve things cafeteria style. Of course you can also eat on your own.

Provision before you come so that personal trips to the store can be kept to an absolute minimum.

When we hold talks again bring your own seating and we will distance ourselves physically. These will all be held outdoors.

Plenty of disinfectant will be made available. Tables will be thoroughly cleaned before and after use.

Boat tours will be at the owners prerogative. Do not ask. Wait to be invited.

After hours ferry runs may or may not be available. The ferries are now run by a concession and so is the camp store.

I do not plan to lead a big group after the gathering this year but will offer suggestions as to where one might travel in smaller groups with a few other fellow C-Brats.

The auction is still on so bring all your “treasures “ on down. Proceeds go to Hontoon Island state park. Special safety prodeedures are being planned.

I know that things will be different this year and if anyone has concerns and feel uncomfortable that’s OK. Hopefully we’ll be back to normal next year and see you then.

God Bless and stay safe.......Tom

2011 CD 25 "C-Otter" 07/2015 to present
2011 CD 25 "My Girl" 06/2015 renamed C-Otter
2004 CD 22 Commuter "Out2C" 03/10 to 06/15
Avidmagnum12

City/Region: Ocklawaha
Vessel Name: C-Otter
Photos: C-Otter
PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2021 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Happy New Year all.
It is getting time to think about the gathering. At this time Florida State parks are open to outside groups of 50 with restrictions. I personally think we can do this with minimal risk.

Here’s what I’d like to see.

Social distance and masks when with others.

Bring your own chairs and utensils for eating. I plan to go to Publix for chicken, potato salad, buns etc. one night. Burgers, hot dogs and coleslaw one night. We might skip potluck....I’m open to suggestions. One suggestion is that we may ask for volunteers to bring different dishes to share and serve things cafeteria style. Of course you can also eat on your own.

Provision before you come so that personal trips to the store can be kept to an absolute minimum.

When we hold talks again bring your own seating and we will distance ourselves physically. These will all be held outdoors.

Plenty of disinfectant will be made available. Tables will be thoroughly cleaned before and after use.

Boat tours will be at the owners prerogative. Do not ask. Wait to be invited.

After hours ferry runs may or may not be available. The ferries are now run by a concession and so is the camp store.

I do not plan to lead a big group after the gathering this year but will offer suggestions as to where one might travel in smaller groups with a few other fellow C-Brats.

The auction is still on so bring all your “treasures “ on down. Proceeds go to Hontoon Island state park. Special safety prodeedures are being planned.

I know that things will be different this year and if anyone has concerns and feel uncomfortable that’s OK. Hopefully we’ll be back to normal next year and see you then.

God Bless and stay safe.......Tom
Molly Brown

City/Region: Punta Gorda
C-Dory Year: 2003
C-Dory Model: 24 Tomcat
Vessel Name: MOLLY BROWN
Photos: Molly Brown
PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2021 6:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Tom and all:

Very pleased to see that this year's gathering will not be cancelled. Either way Betty and I have planned to be there. We launch from Punta Gorda this weekend and will cruise south, spend some time in the Everglades, bounce around the Keys then do a slow cruise up the East coast, hoping to catch 1, maybe 2, launches around the Space coast. Then off to Jax and upriver for the gathering. Betty will be working off the boat Monday-Friday and as long as I stay within reach of a cell tower we are 'good to go".
Also, being a smoker, I have been social distancing for years so I'm safe to be around. I'll be downwind Laughing

James

wisport

City/Region: Star Prairie
PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2021 11:56 am    Post subject: Gatherings Reply with quote

It would be nice if a gathering could organized in centra/mid US to minimize trailer travel.
WISport
thataway

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2021 12:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Gatherings Reply with quote

wisport wrote:
It would be nice if a gathering could organized in centra/mid US to minimize trailer travel.
WISport

Wisport, I believe you have owned your boat for a number of years. There have been "meet in the Middle" on the upper Mississippi River. for a number of years. We have traveled there, as have many from all over the USA. Ken (who was the main organizer) passed on several years ago. There are several C Brats who have considered hosting, but COVID got in the way this year.

Are you interested in being the host? If so, I suspect there will be a number of C Brats who will come.

You can go back to the events, and see the photographs, and read about them in the archived forums and photos.

Also we have several other Brats from your neck of the woods or further, who come to Hontoon each year. (to relate this to Hontoon gathering--come on down). It is a fantastic place, warm, and lots of things to do even with COVID.

Keep warm!
alainP

City/Region: TUCSON
State or Province: AZ
Vessel Name: deja la
PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2021 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

After or before the Hontoon Island gathering do most boats take a cruise North or South on the St Johns ? I'am looking at ordering a couple paper charts.
colbysmith

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2021 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Both directions Alain. I’ve got all 3 charts, as I’ve gone both ways. Just depends on what you want to see. Colby
thataway

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2021 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You want the "Kingfisher" maps. Noth and Central will cover most of what we do. If you want to go to Jacksonville and The Atlantic Ocean, then also get South.

You can get free NOAA maps, to keep on your computer or print out th booklet. I have both.

Also Navionics covers tis area well for a tablet or I pad. (which we also use). Plus there are some secrets which Tom and Joyce have taught us all along the way...Don't cut corners. There are a lot of secret places to go. Remember that most of businesses in FL are open--and many have outdoor dining.

You have a long drive--but its worth it---just like driving to Lake Powell is worth it for us Flordians. If you are going a few days early, stop by our house for the night. We are only 7 miles off I 10, with full accommodations for C Brats. We will be leaving Pensacola on March 4th and stop for the night at Casey Jones RV park just beyond Lake City on I 75, for the night. We arrive at Ed Stone Park about noon on the 5th, getting to the State park mid afternoon.
alainP

City/Region: TUCSON
State or Province: AZ
Vessel Name: deja la
PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2021 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bob, thank you very much for your generous offer, we might take you up on it if dates fall into place. Our own date of departure now depends on vaccination of course, my wife, Mary, just turned 75 and I was able to get an appointment for the last day of this month for her to get her 1st shot, We would not be able to leave until she gets her second one (28 days later?) As for me, who knows, I am not 75 quite yet, I am willing to hit the road without the vaccine since it clearly looks like it will take a while until my turn comes (65 and over). i ordered some of the N95 masks for this trip.
You say:
"You want the "Kingfisher" maps. Noth and Central will cover most of what we do. If you want to go to Jacksonville and The Atlantic Ocean, then also get South"
I thought Jacksonville was North of Deland?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> C-Brat Cruises and Gatherings All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 3 of 9

Jump to: