The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

03/09 - 3/11 - Hontoon Island CBGT DeLand Florida
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> C-Brat Cruises and Gatherings
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Avidmagnum12

City/Region: Ocklawaha
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2011
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: C-Otter
Photos: C-Otter
PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2021 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Steve and Tina
Good call on not trailering with old tires and worn bearings......enough stuff can go wrong when we think everything is Perfect! I’ve just helped one boat that had problems with 2 engines and they were both just serviced.
See you next year and God bless......Tom and Joyce

2011 CD 25 "C-Otter" 07/2015 to present
2011 CD 25 "My Girl" 06/2015 renamed C-Otter
2004 CD 22 Commuter "Out2C" 03/10 to 06/15
gulfcoast john

City/Region: PENSACOLA
C-Dory Year: 2010
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: Cat O' Mine
Photos: CAT O' MINE
PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2021 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hontoon attendees can try free wi-fi at

'HONTOON GUEST'
and maybe get one or two bars.

If only this kind of awesome tech also applied to getting a warm shower!

If anyone needs a secure wi fi, we'll share our Verizon hot spot with you.

Cheers!

John

FloydFloridaUSA

City/Region: Tampa
Vessel Name: Boatless, But Looking
PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2021 12:50 pm    Post subject: SpaceX Falcon 9 Starlink-20 Reply with quote

It was good to meet the C-Brat crew Tuesday.
Thanks for the tours!
Alas, I had to leave early Wednesday to get back to work.

FYI - You will all have a great view of the early morning (night) launch noted below.
This IS impressive to see - definitely worth setting an alarm for !

Rocket Launch: March 11, 2021 3:13 AM ET | SpaceX Falcon 9 Starlink-20
When: Mar 11, 2021 03:13 AM
Where: Kennedy Space Center LC 39-A

Floyd
Tampa, Florida

gulfcoast john

City/Region: PENSACOLA
C-Dory Year: 2010
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: Cat O' Mine
Photos: CAT O' MINE
PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2021 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We missed the launch, but we always catch the sunrise over the river at Hontoon Island State Park marina…here is today’s; we’ll load the boat and start back home tomorrow.

Thanks all, especially hosts Tom and Joyce Schulke, for another great Gathering!

Happy Cruising!
John and Eileen
Avidmagnum12

PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2021 8:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Forgive me if I ramble a little. As I was laying in the V-berth this morning I was overwhelmed by the thoughts of God’s blessings that I experienced this week at our Hontoon gathering. It was not long after the gathering last year that the Virus overwhelmed all of our lives. Frankly...I wondered if we would ever have another and yet here we are!
We had about 22 boats and 50 or so great people in attendance with the most fantastic weather that we have ever had in our 8 years. We made some adjustments like holding our talks and auction spread out in the open areas. We did not have our potlucks but rather had servers place our food on plates. Lots of sanitizer! We spread out the tables. It was great to see fellow brats visiting out on the docks talking about boats and what has been going on in their lives.

The spirit of the volunteer is alive and well in “C-Brat Land”! As far as I know everyone at the gathering signed up to do something at the gathering. We had setup, take down, disinfect, garbage, food servers, campfire care, grill tenders and more. Everything was accomplished on time with smiles!

The “Clow Auction “ was a great success under the leadership of Eileen Highsmith and her crew. $461 was raised for the park at the auction. Pat Clow will be proud! A more generous group would be difficult to find. When I mentioned that we were about $60 short of expenses on Thursday extra money found it’s way into the can! Another $333 dollars came in for the Park. Almost unbelievable but true!

We also had a Dr. Bob and Marie day. Bob was our main speaker......again.....this year! We all appreciate their service and dedication to the group and look forward to seeing them again at future gatherings. A special cake was produced in celebration and I’ll get someone to post a photo later.

We understand some had situations that came up and were not able to attend this year. We look forward to seeing you in the future. As they say in the south....We miss all y’all.

The C-Otter and crew will be out on the St. John’s for the next 10 days or so.

Thanks again........Tom and Joyce
colbysmith

City/Region: Madison
State or Province: WI
C-Dory Year: 2009
Vessel Name: C-Traveler
Photos: C-Traveler and Midnight-Flyer
PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2021 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad to hear it all went well. I missed being there, but still having a great time on the ICW and St. Johns. Tonight we are back at the Jacksonville Free Dock. Tomorrow plan to be at the Metropolitan Marina, and then Sunday night Six Mile. Slowly working our way back to Ed Stone, where we'll pull out on the morning of the 20th. Hope to see many of you on the water between now and then. Colby
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
C-Dory Year: 2007
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2021 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The group of 4 (5 currently--including Miss Jill--are in Deleon Springs and setting up for the pancake breakfast at the old Sugar Mill. We are slowly heading down River--North.
Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
DayBreak

City/Region: Monmouth, Or.
State or Province: OR
C-Dory Year: 2018
C-Dory Model: 23 Venture
Vessel Name: DayBreak
Photos: DayBreak
PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2021 10:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Avidmagnum12 wrote:
We made some adjustments like holding our talks and auction spread out in the open areas. We did not have our potlucks but rather had servers place our food on plates. Lots of sanitizer! We spread out the tables. It was great to see fellow brats visiting out on the docks talking about boats and what has been going on in their lives.

The spirit of the volunteer is alive and well in “C-Brat Land”! As far as I know everyone at the gathering signed up to do something at the gathering. We had setup, take down, disinfect, garbage, food servers, campfire care, grill tenders and more. Everything was accomplished on time with smiles!

Thanks again........Tom and Joyce

Thank you Tom and Joyce for the information in this post. We are looking forward to our own CBGT at Friday Harbor, Wa. in May. Good information for how to be safe with a gathering of people in the midst of this current pandemic.

Glad everyone at this event had a good time.

hank clow

City/Region: L'Anse
State or Province: MI
C-Dory Year: 2003
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Meri Aura
Photos: Meri Aura
PostPosted: Sat Mar 13, 2021 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're right, I am thrilled, but I sure missed being part of the action. I've been on a virtual cruise with Mystery Girl and C-Traveler looking enviously at your warm temperatures. My window view is still very snowy.

Enjoy the rest of your exploration of the St. Johns and its environs. Camp Clow will be in session this summer and I look forward to welcoming many of you Hontoonites and introducing you to the joys of fresh water cruising on Lake Superior.

Pat Clow
WeekiTiki

City/Region: Weeki Wachee
Vessel Name: Just Cruisin'
Photos: WeekiTiki
PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2021 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry I didn't show everybody

Went out to the camp and it's been so nice I didn't leave

Just got home today

Been two weeks

WeekiTiki

City/Region: Weeki Wachee
Vessel Name: Just Cruisin'
Photos: WeekiTiki
PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2021 9:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, but I didn't cancel my reservation so the park still got paid

Wife and I are headed over there in May

and staying across the river for a week at Hontoon Landing

Believe me, that's way more her speed

Avidmagnum12

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2021 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We had a "Dr.Bob and Marie Day" at Hontoon to thank them
for all the wonderful help that they have shared with the C-Brat family.

We can't say THANKS enough!

Tom, Joyce and all the crew at Hontoon
Molly Brown

City/Region: Punta Gorda
C-Dory Model: 24 Tomcat
Vessel Name: MOLLY BROWN
Photos: Molly Brown
PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2021 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The crew of Molly Brown arrived home safely yesterday. We did not sink or catch fire and have only minimal wear and tear on the boat. This was an epic adventure for us having only been able to cruise 1-3 weeks at a time in the past. Covid is what made this adventure possible and Betty worked Monday to Friday the entire time. She only took 2.5 days off the whole trip...she is one busy lady!

77 days. 1942 miles, 700 gallons of fuel, 265 motor hours, 4 cat falls (two of which she reboarded on her own)

Super large thanks to Tom and Joyce without whom this gathering would not occur. Also our thanks to all the Brats that attended without whom it wouldn't be special. And lastly, a tip of the hat to Dr.Bob, Marie and Gigi...it was a particular honor to cruise with you one last time.

Someone give Pat a BIG hug from us when you see her at Camp Clow this summer please.

James, Betty and Luna

smckean (Tosca)

City/Region: Guemes Island (Anacortes)
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: Tosca
Photos: Tosca
PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2021 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
4 cat falls (two of which she reboarded on her own)

Please tell me more about this.....

My wife and I are cat people (not that I dislike dogs, but I have never had an interest in having a dog). From time to time we attempt to take one of our cats with us on a multi-day cruise. One cat hated every minute of it; another took it in stride and slept in the v-berth most of the time; other cats have been somewhere in between. However, one aspect of "cats on board" has always bothered me, and it often stops me from taking one of them more often.....my fear of them falling overboard. I'd even say I am paranoid about it. I'm forever looking to see where they are; or am fearful of a partially open window; and many other worries.

Clearly, you guys have found a way to deal with this.......indeed, you've even had a cat fall overboard and dealt with it. Is there a secret?

P.S. I once thought for sure I had lost one of our cats. Gizmo was the cat who hated it (it was on a 5 day trip). He found crazy places to hide, and I was always trying to find him. Then one time at anchor, I couldn't find him, I mean really! I looked every possible place a zillion times.....no Gizmo. I had that sinking feeling knowing that he was gone (and it was my fault). Eventually I heard a faint meow. My heart lept....but where could he be? Turned out he had found that the CD25 "cubby pockets" (I don't what to call them....those open "compartments" under the gunnels on both sides of the cockpit) are not 100% sealed up. In the back of each, it you reach up high, there is a small opening for wires to pass into the transom lazarettes. I traced his cries and found him in the battery box. I couldn't believe he was there. Took me a while to figure out how he had done it.

ssobol

City/Region: SW Michigan
State or Province: MI
C-Dory Year: 2008
Vessel Name: SoBELLE
Photos: SoBelle
PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2021 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

smckean (Tosca) wrote:
... P.S. I once thought for sure I had lost one of our cats. Gizmo was the cat who hated it (it was on a 5 day trip). He found crazy places to hide, and I was always trying to find him. Then one time at anchor, I couldn't find him, I mean really! I looked every possible place a zillion times.....no Gizmo. I had that sinking feeling knowing that he was gone (and it was my fault). Eventually I heard a faint meow. My heart lept....but where could he be? Turned out he had found that the CD25 "cubby pockets" (I don't what to call them....those open "compartments" under the gunnels on both sides of the cockpit) are not 100% sealed up. In the back of each, it you reach up high, there is a small opening for wires to pass into the transom lazarettes. I traced his cries and found him in the battery box. I couldn't believe he was there. Took me a while to figure out how he had done it.

We had a cat once. It would disappear for hours inside the house. We'd look all over for it, but no luck. Eventually found that it would climb up the back of one of the nightstands by our bed (inside between the back panel and the closed drawer) and sleep in the bottom drawer. The cat would reappear when its nap was over. Never figured out how it managed to pull that off. Cats are pretty good contortionists though.

Used to have some friends in BC that would cruise on their sailboat with two cats. One went overboard one night. Fortunately, the splash was heard and the cat was fished out using a landing net.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> C-Brat Cruises and Gatherings All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 8 of 9

Jump to: