The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

American Exceptionalism
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Barry Rietz

City/Region: Sierra Vista
State or Province: AZ
PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2020 9:33 pm    Post subject: American Exceptionalism Reply with quote

https://robbreport.com/motors/marine/patriot-americas-cup-foiling-yacht-1234577582/
alainP

City/Region: TUCSON
State or Province: AZ
C-Dory Year: 2011
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: deja la
PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2020 10:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This will make for some welcome 2021 excitement! 50 knts,+!! Hard to fathom.
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2020 10:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Truly amazing technology. Spin off for the around the World race in foiling boats. Reconds Weill fall. Wish we could see this AC series...!
Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
hardee

City/Region: Sequim
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Sleepy-C
Photos: SleepyC
PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2020 1:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How cool. WOW 50+ mph on a "sail boat". DO NOT FALL OFF!!!

When I was on San Franscisco Bay with the Delta Extravaganza cruise this Spring we got to watch the "half size" of these boats practicing and racing there. They were 45 feet and faster than my C-Dory Rolling Eyes not so Shocked but increadible to watch. I have added some pix of them in my "Other Boats We Have Seen" album, in a sub-album (That I cannot seem to change the title from "Untitled" to SF Bay Americas Cup Training 4/20.) Anyway, take a look there and see some of the pix of that action. It will be on this page, behind the photo of the SleepyC under the Golden Gate.

Americas Cup Practise Races

Take a peek, and hope this works,

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

dotnmarty

City/Region: Sammamish
C-Dory Year: 1993
C-Dory Model: 16 Angler
Vessel Name: LIZZIE II
Photos: Lizzie
PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2020 1:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting that she was transported to NZ in one of those huge Ukrainian Antonov cargo planes.

"...we're all in the same boat..."
Foggy

City/Region: Traverse City; Northern Lake Michigan
State or Province: MI
C-Dory Year: 2014
C-Dory Model: 26 Venture
Vessel Name: Boatless in Boating Paradise
Photos: W B Nod
PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2020 7:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The truth is speed does change you. Einstein proved it.

Aye.

Angler

City/Region: Clarence
State or Province: NY
Vessel Name: The Laurie Jean (Tim & Laurie)
Photos: Laurie Jean
PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2020 8:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for sharing.
thataway

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2020 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hardee wrote:
How cool. WOW 50+ mph on a "sail boat". DO NOT FALL OFF!!!

When I was on San Franscisco Bay with the Delta Extravaganza cruise this Spring we got to watch the "half size" of these boats practicing and racing there. They were 45 feet and faster than my C-Dory Rolling Eyes not so Shocked but increadible to watch. I have added some pix of them in my "Other Boats We Have Seen" album, in a sub-album (That I cannot seem to change the title from "Untitled" to SF Bay Americas Cup Training 4/20.) Anyway, take a look there and see some of the pix of that action. It will be on this page, behind the photo of the SleepyC under the Golden Gate.

Americas Cup Practise Races

Take a peek, and hope this works,

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

Harvey those 45' cats are not involved with the current generation of America's cup boat. They are "Sail GP" There are 3 of the boats in Sail GP which are converted America's Cup boats from 2017, There is no resumblance to the AC 75 such as "Patriot" which is a monohull foiling 75 foot boat.

Quote:
SailGP is an annual, global championship. Powered by Nature™ and driven by purpose.

The world’s fastest racing in class. Epic battles between nations and top athletes. Cutting-edge technology. And programs that set leading sustainability standards worldwide in a #RaceForTheFuture

SAILGP ESSENTIALS:

8 national teams
18 total Olympians with 16 Olympic medals
7 or more grand prix stops around the globe
$1 million winner-takes-all prize
Global broadcast audience of 256m viewers
133,000+ in-venue spectators

The only American's cup boats that have sailed in the US during the last year were the half scale "mule" which and the first generation AC boat from New York YC named. These did trail runs in the winter months in Pensacola.
hardee

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2020 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Bob, I stand corrected. Still fun to watch them.

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

smckean (Tosca)

City/Region: Guemes Island (Anacortes)
Vessel Name: Tosca
Photos: Tosca
PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2020 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really dislike the term "American Exceptionalism". The phrase itself conjures up an image of the USA somehow being the number one nation on the planet. I can't help but wonder how Germans, Japanese, Canadians, Spaniards feel about that. Besides it's a silly concept in this globally integrated world. A case in point.....this very racing yacht being discussed is the product of a team composed of many nationalities. I will make one comment and then rest my case:

The naval architect designer of Patriot, Marcelino Botin, and his firm, is Spanish. Whatever exceptional qualities the yacht has, and it certainly has many, is, as always with boats, primarily due to its designer. So....maybe we should call the Patriot an example of "Spanish Exceptionalism" Bah and humbug!

P.S. Just to rub salt in the wound, the Patriot's helmsman is Dean Barker......a New Zealander!

ssobol

City/Region: SW Michigan
State or Province: MI
C-Dory Year: 2008
Vessel Name: SoBELLE
Photos: SoBelle
PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2020 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perhaps the term nowadays should be "America Excepted".
thataway

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2020 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great points Sandy. The current (and last 30 years) have gotten away from the spirit of the "America's Cup" (Named after the Schooner "America").

The only requirements are the the hull be laminated in the country of challenge, and that 20% or 3 crew members be citizens of that country. "The remainder of the crew can be made up of residents of the challenging yacht club’s country which is defined by being physically present in that country for a minimum of 380 days over a two year period, between 1 September 2018 and 31 August 2020."

The America's Cup has always been about super boats and huge budgets. It has only gotten worse. I would much rather seen it sailed in identical boats, with a crew of citizens of the representative country. On the other hand, this type of racing has made huge improvements (???) in competitive racing. Now we have around the world racing in foiling monohulls. Foiling boats which are truly affordable. (For example a laser foiling kit is:about $pence 5,000.) For some wind surfers only about $600.

The current America's Cup budgets run from $50 million New Zealand (for boat and crew) to several hundred million (USA). Just the shore side facilities cost in the $150 million range.

I liked it better in slower non foiling monohulls that I could relate to. Now, it is who gets the start and unless they make a major mistake in a few minutes they have won the race. In the last America's Cup race in Bermuda, sailed in the 50' foiling catamarans the average race time was just over 20 minutes. Vs the 1983 race which we witnessed in Newport, Rhode Island took several hours for each race and the lead changed several times.
Robert H. Wilkinson

City/Region: Port Ryerse
State or Province: ON
Vessel Name: Romakeme IV
Photos: Romakeme IV
PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2020 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Harvey, thanks for the link to your "other boats we have seen" album. Many interesting boats! In particular the Kawanda Dory caught my eye. Love the sheer line and matching forward rake of the bow and windshield. The lapstrake lines of the fiberglass Cdory may be mostly for aesthetic value and keeping some spray down but the traditional Clinker built hull is a very strong design.

Unique boats are a thing of beauty and interest to me and I enjoy researching their design and purpose. My local marine broker(Bridge Yachts) currently have an owner built Jolly Roger 30 for sale. A beauty for sure but more boat than I need!

Regards,

Rob

hardee

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2020 10:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rob, Your Welcome, and glad you enjoyed it. Yes, That Kawanda Dory is very eye catching. If I remember right, it has a little diesel in it.

Obviously that album does not have a photo of every interesting boat I hav seen. Schucks, they all are (almost).

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

robhwa

City/Region: Anderson Island
C-Dory Year: 2003
Vessel Name: Marcia C
Photos: Problemadela
PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2020 11:56 am    Post subject: American Exceptionalism Reply with quote

smckean (Tosca) wrote:
I really dislike the term "American Exceptionalism". The phrase itself conjures up an image of the USA somehow being the number one nation on the planet. I can't help but wonder how Germans, Japanese, Canadians, Spaniards feel about that. New Zealander!

Many Americans, this one included, don't want to be considered exceptional. Maybe we want to be "above average", but not "better" than other people. Reminds me of a joke...

An American sailor dies and is suddenly standing at St Peter's gates. St Peter says...well, I see you are an American, a sailor, you have a love/hate relationship with comfort, and you've never taken anything for granted. You lived well, and you can enter heaven if you want. If not, you must go to hell.

The salty sailor, skeptical of the excess he sees at the pearly gates, asks for some evidence of what each is like...St Peter says:

Well, in Heaven, the French are the cooks, the Swiss are the bankers, the Italians are the lovers, the English are the police, and the Germans are in overall charge of running things.

The American sailor says "This sounds good". How about Hell?

In Hell, the English are the cooks, the French are the bankers, the Swiss are the lovers, the Germans are the police, and the Italians are in overall charge of running things?

The sailor asks "Which place has more boats"?

I'm primarily German/English, my wife's ancestry is Italian, but I suppose I've offended everyone to some extent in my life. My point is that it seems exceptional to use the skills and resources of such a wide variety of what the world has to offer to create, transport, and crew boats like these. That set of photos showed it.

I'll get back to lunch. I'm going squidding again today. Nothing exceptional about that.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: