View previous topic :: View next topic  
easy does it

City/Region: Redmond
State or Province: OR
C-Dory Year: 2004
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Pura Vida
Photos: Easy Does It
PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2020 2:06 pm    Post subject: Hawaii lifestyle or C-Dory lifestyle? Reply with quote

Last Oct I bought a condo across the street from the beach in west Maui, I am there now. I thought I would get a sprinter, fill it with ocean toys and spent the rest of my life here. I couldn't get over here because of covid till Oct 15 this year. In the mean time I had a life changing experience, I went to lake powell, flaming gorge, yellow stone lake and jackson lake, back to lake powell, 1st time out in our 22' C-Dory Pura Vida. We had so much fun we could hardly stand it and met a lot of nice people in a out of C-Brats along the way. I say life changing because it has ruined Hawaii for me. The beach is a little bit boring compared to the canyons in lake powell and the Hawaii I left years ago does not exist anymore mostly due to covid. So here I am instead of furnishing my condo and buying water toys I am putting it up for sale and our Pura Vida is waiting for us at my home in St George all ready for our next adventure. I can't believe I am doing this and had to tell somebody or see a shrink. Thanks for listening and maybe some of you will understand this strange C-Dory virus for which there is no cure.
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2020 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got a laugh out of your story. I had an opportunity to live and practice medicine in Hawaii (O'ahu) and decided against it. I had spent a number of months there when the Royal Hawaiian Hotel was the only hotel on Waikiki Beach, The best Chinese food was in the Red Light district, and the way of life was far different than it is today.

You are correct that there are fantastic adventures to be had in the C Dory. It is the true magic carpet!

Thanks

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
hardee

City/Region: Sequim
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: Sleepy-C
Photos: SleepyC
PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2020 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, I will join this parade and admit to 1. Missing Hawaii, and 2. Not missing it that much when I am on my boat, and 3. Missing my boat more this year, but not enough to go back to Hawaii. The magic there has been commercialized to the pint I have a hard time with it. The magic on the water around my boat is what I make. If I don't have enough magic where I am, I can just go around the corner into the next bay, but not so much this year.

The C-Dory does make it's own magic.

Harvey
SleepyCMoon

bshillam

City/Region: Bellingham
C-Dory Year: 1981
Vessel Name: Heaven To Me
Photos: My Heaven
PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2020 11:19 pm    Post subject: Water therapy Reply with quote

I believe you do need therapy, it's obtained simply by being on the water. The C-Dory is a vessel that brings us to places and experiences we may not have had otherwise. I have had two of them and each of them I experienced things that I have held onto for years. Even though I no longer have the boats I have the memories. When homes are no longer homes and become houses we can change where the hat is hung. Whether it's in a C-Dory or another venue, better to follow the desire and keep your life happy! Cheers! I always tell my clients Beer, wine and cocktails always taste better when your on the water!
Pacificcoast101

City/Region: Torrance
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 2008
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: No Pressure
Photos: No Pressure
PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2020 11:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perhaps take up diving or deep sea fishing and use the C-Dory in Hawaii. Smile

Southern California Marine Life
https://www.flickr.com/photos/southern_california_marine_life/albums

My Photos
https://www.alamy.com/stock-photo/?pseudoid=%7bAC42A235-FD0A-464A-B559-1CC5843C95FB%7d&name=Phil+Garner&st=11&mode=0&comp=1
ssobol

City/Region: SW Michigan
State or Province: MI
C-Dory Year: 2008
Vessel Name: SoBELLE
Photos: SoBelle
PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2020 12:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I spent 4 months in HI a few years ago. I was kind of surprised at the lack of small boats and the relative dearth of small boat harbors.

But I suppose that if you consider that with a smaller boat you can only go out and back and once you are out, you get into big water fast. At first I thought it would be nice to have my boat there, but after thinking about it, it probably wouldn't have been used that much.
South of Heaven

City/Region: Sharon
State or Province: MA
Photos: Blue Water
PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2020 9:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OP: I wouldn't sell it so soon. It's only been 1 year right? Cant you rent it out?

2005 Silverton 35 Motoryacht (Twin 385 Crusaders) (SOLD 6/20)

2000 Camano 31 Troll (Volvo TAMD41p) (SOLD 2/19)

2007 C Dory 25' Cruiser (200 hp Suzuki, sold 7/17)

2003 C Dory 19' Angler (80 hp Yamaha, sold 7/16)

1995 C Dory 16' Angler (40 hp Yamaha, sold 2/16)
Nancy and Bud

City/Region: Nashville
State or Province: IL
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: Emma Mae
Photos: Emma Mae
PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2020 10:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What a wonderful conundrum you are in.

Mr. Green

A winner not mater what choice you make.

Fair winds to us all!!!!

curioustraveler

City/Region: Annapolis
State or Province: MD
Photos: Curioustraveler
PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2020 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Easy Does It,

I believe there is a vast difference between living on the water (ie waterfront property) and staying on the water (ie boating.) I grew up not living on the water so trips out to the boat were an escape from land and a total change of lifestyle even if just for the weekend. I now live in a waterfront community with the Chesapeake Bay across the street and community piers and beach about a 2 minute walk from the house. While I love being able to walk along the water every night, it doesn't offer the same type of adventure as boating. Beautiful, yes, but it doesn't scratch my itch for exploration and adventure. I stand along the water and enjoy its beauty but truly long to be out on the water. We're fortunate our boat is right here so I can have both but if I had to chose, I'd take a landlocked home and a boat vs a home on the water.

This is the conundrum we will face in a decade or so when I retire...it's looking like a small home out west for the summer and a boat somewhere for the winter.
C-Val

City/Region: White Rock
State or Province: BC
C-Dory Year: 1988
C-Dory Model: 22 Angler
Vessel Name: Seaduced
Photos: C-Val
PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2020 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Because I live above the 49th our plan is Maui in winter and C Dory in summer! That sounds win win to me!
1988 22' Angler
cmetzenberg

City/Region: Santa Barbara
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: Kanaloa
Photos: Kanaloa
PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2020 7:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Hawaii lifestyle or C-Dory lifestyle? Reply with quote

easy does it wrote:
Last Oct I bought a condo across the street from the beach in west Maui, I am there now. I thought I would get a sprinter, fill it with ocean toys and spent the rest of my life here. I couldn't get over here because of covid till Oct 15 this year. In the mean time I had a life changing experience, I went to lake powell, flaming gorge, yellow stone lake and jackson lake, back to lake powell, 1st time out in our 22' C-Dory Pura Vida. We had so much fun we could hardly stand it and met a lot of nice people in a out of C-Brats along the way. I say life changing because it has ruined Hawaii for me. The beach is a little bit boring compared to the canyons in lake powell and the Hawaii I left years ago does not exist anymore mostly due to covid. So here I am instead of furnishing my condo and buying water toys I am putting it up for sale and our Pura Vida is waiting for us at my home in St George all ready for our next adventure. I can't believe I am doing this and had to tell somebody or see a shrink. Thanks for listening and maybe some of you will understand this strange C-Dory virus for which there is no cure.

...I want your problems.

07' Tomcat 255 "Kanaloa"
87' Boston Whaler Guardian 17 (BlackFlag, 03-14)
easy does it

PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2020 7:03 am    Post subject: post topic Reply with quote

God grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can and the wisdom to know the difference. I guess pura vida is the trump card, it always seems to win! I will keep the condo on Maui, sell my mansion in ivins with only an outdoor pad and I purchased a 40 x 60 home for Pura Vida and a small modular for my wife and I. Perfect! We are only a short distance from Lake Powell and Panquitsch lake. So we can keep all our medical etc in St Gorge and live in Cedar City Utah and Maui. Thank you for your input C-Brats. see pictures on site[/img]
Knipet

City/Region: Orcas Island
C-Dory Model: 23 Venture
Vessel Name: Pan-A-C'ya
Photos: Pan-A-C'ya
PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2020 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That seems like an excellent compromise - the best of both choices!

This way you can make the CBGT I'm planning at Lake Powell in mid October of 2023. Yes, I plan ahead... Actually, the Annular Solar Eclipse passes right over in the middle of the day on Oct. 14th. So don't book your 2023 airline tickets back to Hawaii until sometime after that date!

easy does it

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2021 5:04 pm    Post subject: post topic Reply with quote

Just this morning I was coming back from my men's group in St George and my friend asked me. Terry not to get to personal but why are you coming back from Hawaii, leaving Maui in augest, the hottest time of the year here? I told him to get our boat ready and go out on Lake Powell for september. He said yes he understood a friend would take him out on prince william sound in alaska in a boat called a C-Dory and they had a great time. Yep that's the one! 22' with a porta potti Yep that's the one. right there in my driveway under 15 tarps!!! Wow It is so difficult to get to Hawaii these days. We ordered 2 covid tests from Costco $260.00 We have to take the test by video within 3 days of when we leave, then get it to the lab in Fla. and get the results back before we get on the plane monday or face a quarantine. Plus we had 6 contracts fall through in the last 2 months trying to get a house with a covered home for Pura Vida..very stressful. Is it worth it? ABSOLUTELY!!! At 76 this may be our last trip. ........(before we start looking at tomcats that is ha ha and yes probably) now if we can just get a fridge in that thing somehow or be floating around dangling rope marina for 3 weeks. Look for us if your in Maui at Launiupoko beach park on our SUP. We are the old guys with short hair.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: