The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Trailering, engines up or down?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> All C-Dorys, All The Time
View previous topic :: View next topic  
C-Wolfe

City/Region: Anchorage
State or Province: AK
C-Dory Year: 2006
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: C-Wolfe
Photos: C-Wolfe
PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2020 1:03 pm    Post subject: Trailering, engines up or down? Reply with quote

I知 a proud new owner of a C-Dory 22 with twin Honda 50. When hook up to my truck ( full size 3/4 T), the engines seem to have an ok amount of ground clearance but not as much as I知 use too. I had a couple trailerable sailboat that had a couple feet of clearance so I never worried about hiring ground with kicker. Ideally I would like to keep engines down as to not put undue stress on the transom but also don稚 want to do any other damage. So, all that said, I would like to hear form others how they set their engine while on the road.
Thanks for any input.

I知 sure this as been discuss here but could not find any tread, If someone can send link to those I would appreciate it.
Peter & Judy

City/Region: Olds
State or Province: AB
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: Mistaya
Photos: Mistaya
PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2020 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use transom savers on both my 90hp and the 9.9hp kicker. Prevents a lot on the transom.

https://www.amazon.ca/Extreme-Max-3001-1068-Transom-Saver/dp/B001AXGT7O/ref=sr_1_2?crid=38NFSXRG5NKWP&dchild=1&keywords=transom+saver&qid=1603389828&sprefix=transom%2Caps%2C203&sr=8-2

HMCB Mistaya
"Mistaya" (Grizzly Bear in Cree)
HMCB (Her Majesties Cute Boat)
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2020 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On my 25 I tow with the engine down. On my 22's I had the engines up, and either a rubber block on the hydraulic cylinder or a piece of wood wedged under the articulating part of the engine mount. I also like to capture the engine's side to side movement with a method of limiting the hydraulic cream on the steering (PVC pipe or rubber blocks over the ram arm.

I have also used the "Transom Saver". I am not convinced it does all that much to protect the transom....There is a lot of load on the boat when in the water during acceleration and deceleration...probably more than on the road...[/i]

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
ssobol

City/Region: SW Michigan
State or Province: MI
C-Dory Year: 2008
Vessel Name: SoBELLE
Photos: SoBelle
PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2020 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My engine skeg has very little clearance from the ground in the down position, so I trailer it with a block of wood in the tilt mechanism. The engine travels in the almost full up position (because that happened to be the size of the piece of wood I found to use).

IMO, the amount of force put on the transom or the trim cylinders by the engine bouncing from roughness on the road is insignificant compared to the load placed on the transom in normal engine operation. If your transom is not waterlogged or otherwise damaged it should have no problem holding the engine when driving.

The only caveat to that is that the tilt cylinder may not be as robust as the trim cylinders. The Honda mount for my engine has 3 cylinders, two trim and one tilt. When the engine is tilted fully up, it is being held by just the tilt cylinder. I use the wood block in the tilt mechanism to spare the tilt cylinder, not the transom. Since I can't see the engine position when the boat is being towed, I would not know if the cylinder failed and the engine dropped until is was too late (probably after miles of dragging the skeg on the road).
hardee

City/Region: Sequim
State or Province: WA
Vessel Name: Sleepy-C
Photos: SleepyC
PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2020 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not convinced that a Transom saver really does what it says. The suggestion form my mechanic was to block the downward travel at about half way. I use a wooden block that fits into the space under the ram and holds the engine weight, plus a bit of downward pressure on the switch to hold it solid. With lowered bunks and skeg extensions, I would be dragging all the time. I also put some red reflective tape on the back of the OB's that is near vertical with the engines in towing position.

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

C-Wolfe

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2020 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your responses. I do have a bracket on the engine to keep it in the up position and take some of the strain from the tilt cylinder. I値l be using that for now and a block of wood. I just feel like I have good clearance for normal conditions but here we never know when the road turn from good to bad.
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2020 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

new user 22 wrote:
Thanks for your responses. I do have a bracket on the engine to keep it in the up position and take some of the strain from the tilt cylinder. I値l be using that for now and a block of wood. I just feel like I have good clearance for normal conditions but here we never know when the road turn from good to bad.

The bracket on the engine mount is NOT made to hold the engine in trailering position. Do not trailer with this as the only means of support.

Fit a proper block or pipe to take the weight or block of wood.
C-Wolfe

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2020 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="thataway"][quote="new user 22"]Thanks for your responses. I do have a bracket on the engine to keep it in the up position and take some of the strain from the tilt cylinder. I値l be using that for now and a block of wood. I just feel like I have good clearance for normal conditions but here we never know when the road turn from good to bad.[/quote]

[b]The bracket on the engine mount is NOT made to hold the engine in trailering position.[/b] Do not trailer with this as the only means of support.

Fit a proper block or pipe to take the weight or block of wood.[/quote]

Ok thanks
PaulNBriannaLynn

City/Region: Fort White
Vessel Name: TBD
Photos: Lorelei
PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2020 9:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another vote for a block of wood. I cut a piece of 2x4 to the width of the engine mount, and lower the engine until its resting on it.
colbysmith

City/Region: Madison
State or Province: WI
C-Dory Year: 2009
Vessel Name: C-Traveler
Photos: C-Traveler and Midnight-Flyer
PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2020 10:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I致e trailered both my past 22 and current 25 with the main and kicker down. About a foot of clearance. Colby
C-Green

City/Region: Houghton
C-Dory Year: 2002
Vessel Name: C-Green
Photos: C-Green
PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2020 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I trailer with engines down, plenty of clearance - CD-22 with twin Honda 40's on an EasyLoader with rollers. Seems best to tether a wood block if used - bad bump and wood flying at 60 mph seems like a bad story.

Jay
garyf

City/Region: Lincoln
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 1991
Vessel Name: C-Story
Photos: C-Story
PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2020 2:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Engine up with transom saver. The clearance might be OK, but I don't trust it.
'08 Yamaha 90
KC3PO
ssobol

City/Region: SW Michigan
C-Dory Year: 2008
Vessel Name: SoBELLE
Photos: SoBelle
PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2020 2:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

C-Green wrote:
... Seems best to tether a wood block if used - bad bump and wood flying at 60 mph seems like a bad story.

Jay

Don't see how that would be possible. The tilt cylinder keeps the engine from moving in either the up or down directions. It is not just the weight of the engine on the block of wood that holds it in place. At least on my boat.

I use a piece of 2x3 for my brace. I get the impression that the tilt cylinder power might be able to break that if I kept my finger on the tilt down switch after the engine settles on the wood. As it is, I can hear the wood start to crunch if I drive it down too much. Don't want to try it and find out for sure though.
hardee

City/Region: Sequim
State or Province: WA
Vessel Name: Sleepy-C
Photos: SleepyC
PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2020 2:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

C-Green wrote:
I trailer with engines down, plenty of clearance - CD-22 with twin Honda 40's on an EasyLoader with rollers. Seems best to tether a wood block if used - bad bump and wood flying at 60 mph seems like a bad story.

Jay

On my Yami 40's I power them down onto the wood block. No way they would/could fly out. Maybe Honda is different?

Harvey
SleepyC Moon
garyf

City/Region: Lincoln
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 1991
Vessel Name: C-Story
Photos: C-Story
PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2020 2:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Not convinced that a Transom saver really does what it says.

@Harvey - can you expand on this please? What are your concerns? Looking at it mechanically, nothing jumps out at me as a potential problem. It certainly seems to support the weight, and I definitely don't trust my clearance to tow with the outboard completely (or mostly) down. I've got a Yamaha 90 on a 22' Cruiser... the trailer is a custom trailer, so can't compare it to EZ Load or anything. My dad started with an EZ Load and didn't like it so he replaced it with the current setup.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> All C-Dorys, All The Time All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: