The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

How to mount swim platform

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Hull, Deck and Fittings
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Steffan-C

City/Region: Vancouver
State or Province: WA
PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2020 3:28 pm    Post subject: How to mount swim platform Reply with quote

Hello,

I ordered a factory swim platform for my 03 cruiser, I would like to mount it per factory specification but the platform did not come with a drawing. I cannot get the office manager to send me a drawing and internet search has yielded nothing. Could someone point me in the right direction for a drawing or take a photo of how their platform is mounted?

The hardware include was 4 through bolts with nuts and washers and 4 screws. I would imagine most the force is at the top and the bolts go through the exposed transoms area but I want to be sure.

Any help would be much appreciated

[/img]
ssobol

City/Region: SW Michigan
State or Province: MI
C-Dory Year: 2008
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: SoBELLE
Photos: SoBelle
PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2020 4:51 pm    Post subject: Re: How to mount swim platform Reply with quote

Steffan-C wrote:
Hello,

I ordered a factory swim platform for my 03 cruiser, I would like to mount it per factory specification but the platform did not come with a drawing. I cannot get the office manager to send me a drawing and internet search has yielded nothing. Could someone point me in the right direction for a drawing or take a photo of how their platform is mounted?

The hardware include was 4 through bolts with nuts and washers and 4 screws. I would imagine most the force is at the top and the bolts go through the exposed transoms area but I want to be sure.

[/img]

I added an additional factory swim step a couple of years ago. On mine there were 5 predrilled holes for mounting. I have seen two models of swim step. One has a solid piece where it attaches to the hull (i.e. full width) and one with a cutout. Mine was full width and had the 5 holes. This one needs to be cut out if you have trim tabs where the tab actuator attaches to the hull. I expect that the swim step that comes with the cut out is for boats that have tabs.

On my boat, the swim step is attached with through bolts for the top holes (2 ea). These bolts come through behind the fuel tanks. On my boat there was enough room for the bolts to be installed without removing the tanks, but it did involve some contortions. You can drill through the transom without removing the fuel tanks if you are careful. The bottom 3 screws are lag bolts that go into the hull and are not through holes.

After drilling into the transom you should take care to seal the holes with epoxy and all that as described in numerous posts on this site before installing the bolts. Also, on my installation there is a bead of 3M 5200 around the perimeter of the part of the swim step that is against the boat hull.

I did not have a drawing for installation either, but just installed it in the same place as the original one (just on the other side of the engine). It was about 2 afternoons of work to put it on.

This picture shows the installed swim steps. Added one is on the right side of the image. Since the C-Dory swim steps are kind of small I find it very nice to have two (looks better too IMO).

Yes, there is a difference in the gap between the step and the engine on each side. On my boat, the engine is not mounted on the centerline. The motor is slightly offset. This may be an error by the rigger, but I think it has to do with the countering the prop torque effect on the handling.
Steffan-C

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2020 7:39 pm    Post subject: Re: How to mount swim platform Reply with quote

ssobol wrote:
Steffan-C wrote:
Hello,

[/img]

I added an additional factory swim step a couple of years ago. On mine there were 5 predrilled holes for mounting. I have seen two models of swim step. One has a solid piece where it attaches to the hull (i.e. full width) and one with a cutout. Mine was full width and had the 5 holes. This one needs to be cut out if you have trim tabs where the tab actuator attaches to the hull. I expect that the swim step that comes with the cut out is for boats that have tabs.

On my boat, the swim step is attached with through bolts for the top holes (2 ea). These bolts come through behind the fuel tanks. On my boat there was enough room for the bolts to be installed without removing the tanks, but it did involve some contortions. You can drill through the transom without removing the fuel tanks if you are careful. The bottom 3 screws are lag bolts that go into the hull and are not through holes.

After drilling into the transom you should take care to seal the holes with epoxy and all that as described in numerous posts on this site before installing the bolts. Also, on my installation there is a bead of 3M 5200 around the perimeter of the part of the swim step that is against the boat hull.

I did not have a drawing for installation either, but just installed it in the same place as the original one (just on the other side of the engine). It was about 2 afternoons of work to put it on.

This picture shows the installed swim steps. Added one is on the right side of the image. Since the C-Dory swim steps are kind of small I find it very nice to have two (looks better too IMO).

Yes, there is a difference in the gap between the step and the engine on each side. On my boat, the engine is not mounted on the centerline. The motor is slightly offset. This may be an error by the rigger, but I think it has to do with the countering the prop torque effect on the handling.

Oh thank you so much! What is interesting is that the swim ladders appear to have changed. My ladder is different and they didn't put that black rubber trim on there. Also, nothing is predrilled and they (c-dory manufacturing) included 4 x through bolts and 4 large screws? I am wondering if they have since changed the design for mounting?

The good news is the office manager finally responded and forwarded my request to the manufacturing manager for the drawing request..

That handle looks nice, I may have to order one of those.
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2020 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As an aside--Many of us have put a handle on the side of the splash well--look and see what fits your style of boarding from the water best--you do want a handle back there.

Also many have changed out the ladder to a 4 step vs the factory smaller ladder. The swim step is a safety issue. When I injured my leg last year, I was very happy to have the longer ladder to get out of the water, and might have had much more difficulty if we had a shorter swim ladder. Getting into the C Dory may be. harder than it looks, as you age.

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
smckean (Tosca)

City/Region: Guemes Island (Anacortes)
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Tosca
Photos: Tosca
PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2020 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steffan-C,

You didn't mention if you had a cruiser 22 or 25. On the 22 I think there is easy access to add a handle, but on the 25 you have to cut an new access port in order to do so.

See access port near handle (directly above the potato salad Wink )

ssobol

City/Region: SW Michigan
State or Province: MI
C-Dory Year: 2008
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: SoBELLE
Photos: SoBelle
PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2020 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thataway wrote:
As an aside--Many of us have put a handle on the side of the splash well--look and see what fits your style of boarding from the water best--you do want a handle back there.

Also many have changed out the ladder to a 4 step vs the factory smaller ladder. The swim step is a safety issue. When I injured my leg last year, I was very happy to have the longer ladder to get out of the water, and might have had much more difficulty if we had a shorter swim ladder. Getting into the C Dory may be. harder than it looks, as you age.

The ladder is a COTS item that the factory buys and installs. You can order the swim step with or without the ladder. My second swim step came from a ex-dealer and had the 2 step ladder included. So far the 2 step ladder works for us, but as mentioned a hand grip is very useful. Mine is something I picked up somewhere. If I can find another one that matches I'll put one on the other side. Before I added the handle I often used a short rope attached to the aft cleat as a boarding aid.
Steffan-C

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2020 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a 22' cruiser 2003. I believe it would be easy to mount a handle, I'll probably put that off till spring.

The ladder on mine is a 3 step Gerlick ezz-in.

Still waiting in those drawing from c-dory.....would be nice to have this installed before going squid jigging.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Hull, Deck and Fittings All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: