hardee

City/Region: Sequim
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Sleepy-C
Photos: SleepyC
PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2020 3:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have had multiple contacts from AIS and rarely did they have any idea of my size. I had a 300+ foot Research vessel offer to stand by and allow me to go through a turn north of Seymour Narrows, so I would have room to make the turn. I think I saw the red blush come through the speaker when I admitted to being 22 feet and that I wouldn't need much space and since they were coming down river on the flood, I would stand by and let them have first shot at the turn. Shocked

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

colbysmith

City/Region: Madison
State or Province: WI
C-Dory Year: 2009
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: C-Traveler
Photos: C-Traveler and Midnight-Flyer
PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2020 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last night was another peaceful and quiet night in the Dover Island chute. Some drizzle, after the heavier rain showers passed over. Dreary, drizzly, cloudy day today. Ain't covered cabin boats great? Even better when they have heaters! Picked up the speed part of the way today and ran on plane. At this point I have enough fuel left to run all the way back on plane, so doing a little fast and a little slow. When I get home it will be time to winterize and put the boat away for the season. I'll park it with an empty fuel tank, so ideally will load out with only about 15 gallons of fuel in the tank. I can pump that out and use in the pickup and Highlander.
Decided to slip into Prizer Point Marina this afternoon. Pretty nice place. Covered slips for $1/foot. While I've decided against any plans to put together a gathering for next September, this place would be a good consideration. It's also a very large KOA campground, with Heated pool, cabin rentals, bathroom and laundry facilities, etc.
Tomorrow we'll run to Lighthouse Landing Marina on the Kentucky Lake side of Land Between the Lakes, and then Monday late afternoon load out. Someday I'd like to go on up to Old Hickory Lake and maybe spend a night or two in Nashville. I really liked Clarksville's marina and think that would be an excellent location to launch out of then. Maybe even another good place to have a gathering, but not as centrally located for both Cumberland and Tennessee Rivers. We've had a good time cruising along the Cumberland after launching out of Kentucky Lake Dam State Park. Next time we'll look at the Tennessee. The colors are getting there, but I"m thinking another week before they will be in their prime. Colby
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2020 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another for the upper Cumberland would be to launch where we did on the two rivers run, Granville (Wildwood) Marina, East of Old Hickory Lake, and run down and back. I felt that part of the country was more scenic than the lower part. Plus there was a nice secure place to park the rigs. We will probably go back there and go up river for a relatively short run. I know that you had some of the information, as you were initially considering coming on the trip.
Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
colbysmith

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2020 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree the upper part of the Cumberland is prettier. I forgot about that information Bob. You are right about the possibility of launching east of Old Hickory. That may be something I consider when ready to do some more sight seeing on the Cumberland. As we came back into this area of the lake, it's been a week, and the colors are starting to stand out more. One negative about Prizer Pt Marina, were the inconsiderate partiers on the houseboat behind us on the next dock over, playing their awful music until close to midnight. The marina does have a quiet policy, but apparently it wasn't inforced. No, I didn't go over and say anything to them as we were already in for the night, and no I didn't say anything to the marina staff`as this being a KOA campground as well, I'm sure they patrol it, and didn't care. My take with this in many places is to just remember it next time I decide to stop...
During this trip we did see quite a few Blue Herons, a few Bald Eagles, and a number of Pelicans, some black vultures, along with other birds I can't name. Today just a few miles before turning into the Barkley Canal I could see a shoal out in the distance that looked like it was covered in snow. As we got closer, and I pulled out the Binoculars, I could see it was covered with hundreds of Pelicans resting together. Another shoal right beside it had 3 Bald Eagles, and 2 Vultures (or some other large black bird) on it.
We're at Lighthouse Landing Marina tonight and did our part to help the local economy up at Patti's Settlement. Slip fees here at the Landing are .75/foot. Across the street is access to the toilets/showers and laundry. This marina is mostly sailboats, and there is probably only two other runabouts in here. If not for the drizzle and clouds, this marina is also known for it's sunsets across the water. Colby
thataway

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2020 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
One negative about Prizer Pt Marina, were the inconsiderate partiers on the houseboat behind us on the next dock over, playing their awful music until close to midnight.

Colby those are "good Ole Boys". You were very wise not to complain about their music. Part of the "Country Scene"--repeated at many marinas along both of these river/lake systems... My friends son on Lake Pickwick and a couple of others rent a slip near their boats, and it is a "party barge" moored there--beer Fridge, Big Screen TV, great stereo system...not sure about the social distancing...

With the enclosed boat house/slips the sound echos. Might as well join the party and enjoy it. It might even be enlightening...

By the way, inconsiderate partiers are not just combined to houseboats in Kentucky or Tennessee. They are present in almost every corner of the US--and other places in the World. Just the music is different...
colbysmith

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2020 11:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And I believe one of the reasons why the Meet in the Middle moved away from the Marina in Dubuque. Good Ole Boys or not, show a little more respect for those around.
thataway

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2020 10:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Respect for others" in our society seems to. have become less over my lifetime. Or maybe it is just my experiences...??

I have seen that type of behavior in many places, and thru all social economic strata.
hardee

City/Region: Sequim
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: Sleepy-C
Photos: SleepyC
PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2020 12:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thataway wrote:
"Respect for others" in our society seems to. have become less over my lifetime. Or maybe it is just my experiences...??

I have seen that type of behavior in many places, and thru all social economic strata.

Bob, it is not just your experience. (And I will leave it at that.)

Harvey
SleepyC Moon
ssobol

City/Region: SW Michigan
State or Province: MI
C-Dory Year: 2008
Vessel Name: SoBELLE
Photos: SoBelle
PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2020 12:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thataway wrote:

Lots more people around than there used to be. Maybe we just get on each other's nerves more now.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Grand Adventures All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: