colbysmith

City/Region: Madison
State or Province: WI
C-Dory Year: 2009
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: C-Traveler
Photos: C-Traveler and Midnight-Flyer
PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2020 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I/we are very much enjoying the Cumberland. And this time of year it's pretty desolate, other than the barges. Which are not as numerous as on the Mississippi. Today it finally made it to the 70's. The first few days we've been barely in the 60's, and then upper 30's to mid 40's at night. Last night it only got as low as 63. So all in all good sleeping weather, and pretty much no bugs. When temps are warmer and the bugs are around, Harvey, it's best not to have any lights on. (I don't have any red lights inside this boat yet, so not sure if that would help or not.) If no lights, then you may be fine with noseum screen on open windows. I will leave my windows open an inch or two and have regular screen. I manage to stay mostly bug free with lights off.
The colors have not been as vibrant as I was hoping for, but they are turning. There hasn't been a lot of debris in the water either, which is nice. Still have to keep a look out for a few logs and branches. Oh before I forget. They say the water above the Chatham dam stays a little more stable as far as levels go. And while the current seemed to be less than a knot down river, today I checked as I entered Nashville by idling the boat and letting it float DIW. I saw 1.5 kts on the chartplotter. So I should get a little better mileage on the way home. Smile Colby
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2020 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One other observation about the City Dock at Nashville. Both the police and fire boats had chains from their rails to substantial parts of the dock. We never had any problem, bit I worry a little when the police have to chain up their boat? What if the fireman forgot the code?
Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
colbysmith

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2020 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sad when LE and/or EMS has to lock up their stuff. I think there are some major changes since you guys came thru. Only the dock under the stadium is available, and there are no LE or Fire boats here. Didn't see any on the other side either. There is only one ramp leading off this dock, and there is a chain and padlock around the gate. Hopefully the parks will return my call tomorrow and get me checked in and give me the padlock code. If not, I'll move on and spend my money elsewhere. Wink Would have really liked to been able to walk in to town this afternoon, but it is what it is. Seems like they have a great thing here, but are failing it miserably. If the website is correct, they are charging the going rates that real marinas with amenities are charging. Actually, maybe more. At Clarksville, with Boat US, my rate for a covered slip with electric and water, and even a pumpout at the slip, was only $22.50 I can see why so many negative reviews now on Active Captain. As for early reservations, I guess they don't understand life on a boat, on a river. Too many variables dealing with weather, etc. Oh well. Still other places to anchor or hang out. Colby
gulfcoast john

City/Region: PENSACOLA
C-Dory Year: 2010
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: Cat O' Mine
Photos: CAT O' MINE
PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2020 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Colby,

Hope dock mgt gets back to you tomorrow am!

My Challenge is still on to take a better night time photo without flash than the one we posted!

Safe and happy travels in any event! Great Adventure!!

John and Eileen

colbysmith

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2020 10:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well John, you saw my only night shots of Nashville on my Facebook page. Unfortunately, the powers to be that run the dock, never got back to me. I had emailed, called and filled out their online form both on Sunday and Monday, when they are closed... In fact emailed twice and called twice. The night was relatively calm, with only a couple of small wakes over night. Not too noisy either. Would have been nice to gone into the city, but without knowing the gate padlock code that wasn't going to happen. Only other boat on the dock was that pontoon. Didn't see anyone until the one guy I saw in it yesterday reappeared. For all I know, he may be one of the homeless, and runs the boat as a taxi service. Before we left the dock this morning, he left the dock, but only floated out in the middle of the channel, and it looked like he was on his phone. He was out there for maybe half an hour, then returned to the dock. Speaking of homeless, we did notice a number of tent cities under some of the bridges along the river. Sad to see folks living in such despair. Wish our country could find a way to help the mentally ill more, or others in that situation. Certainly makes me feel very fortunate in being where I'm at and appreciate my lifestyle that much more. After sleeping on it, we decided this morning to go a little farther for lunch. Up to Stones River. I thought about pushing all the way to Old Hickory Lake, but Rosanne didn't want us to have to depend on running fast later to get back to our scheduled return at Kentucky Lake Dam State Park. And, it is kind of nice running at displacement speeds enjoying the scenery and skipping the fuel docks! We also decided that with COVID, and plenty of food on the boat, it just wouldn't be the same spending any time in the Honky Tonks. (And we've seen fewer masks in this state!) Not to mention I'm a little miffed about how Nashville handles dock reservations there at the Riverfront. With all this, I skipped even trying to contact them again today. They had my number and if were interested in our tourism dollars, they could have returned the call or email! So we passed Nashville by after turning around at Stones River, and tonight found a nice hidden gem, the Commodore Yacht Club marina. You turn thru a rather small cut off the main channel, and it goes into a small basin. With Boat US, transient docking is $1.00 a foot, and an additional $4 for single 30amp service. Access to showers, toilets, water and a free laundry. The sights for today included seeing an interesting cave that an earlier French Candian Fur Trader used to take refuge from an Indian attack, another old lock wall, some more sand barge operations, the General Jackson sternwheeler, and an interesting sight of an airplane fuselage in the bluffs along the Cumberland just before turning into Stones River.
One thing I've learned about being on the Cumberland River, the ramps along the river don't appear to be the best, and none of them seem to have toilets near by. Our porta potty is getting closer to being filled by the time we find places to dump it (which are usually when we stay in marinas.) Today thinking that perhaps the ramp at Shelby Bottoms Park would have an outhouse near by, I attempted to land at the ramp and managed to bend up the tip of one of my prop blades. My guess is that those ramps being in the river, have their bedding undercut by the river, and I suspect I hit the upturned and broken up ramp left in the water. And with the water being quite murky and dark in color, you can't see any distance beneath the surface! Definitely don't think this would be a good ramp to launch at. It really caught me off guard as my depth sounder was still showing 7 feet when I felt the un-nerving bumping and grinding in the stern. And that was with the motor trimmed up just about all the way to where the tilt kicks in! Actually, I did this twice. The first time I was right along the bank edge of the ramp, and the second time I was in the middle of the ramp. So much for trusting the ramps for temporary landing of the boat. I am surprised that even with the bent up prop tip, I ran various RPM's with no noticeable vibrations. None the less, I changed the prop with my spare this evening, and will send the damaged one off for repair when I get home.
Tomorrow I think we'll head back up the Harpeth River and maybe get the Kayaks down off the roof. Colby
hardee

City/Region: Sequim
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Sleepy-C
Photos: SleepyC
PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2020 11:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Colby, Sorry about that prop thing. A bump and grinding with 7 feet showing would be a surprise. Can't see into the water huh? Ahh Yuk. Well, enjoy the color above the water at least.

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

thataway

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2020 11:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Not to mention I'm a little miffed about how Nashville handles dock reservations there at the Riverfront.

I suspect that the City of Nashville is not concerned about the minimal tourism by boat this time of year. Jim Gibson had made the reservations for 6 boats several months in advance--and there still was not room for us all. Fortunately there was a boat belonging to a local who lived on Old Hickory Lake and knew both Mike and Patrick Byrd. He voluntarily gave up his reservation so we would all fit on the dock! He apparently made the run down there on a regular basis during the summer from Old Hickory.

We were "hosted" at the Commodore YC by Bill E and his wife Sherry, who had a C Dory 25 at that time. Bill and Sherry put out a fantastic meal and fun evening for us there. Marie and I also visited Bill and Sherry in their high rise downtown Condo and shared a great dinner at a local jazz club within walking distance of the condo.

Looking at the City of Nashville web site for the marina, it's running is subbed out to "Hamilton Creek Marina" which is on Percy Priest Lake, whose offices are closed Sunday and Monday. My guess with the COVID 19 that activities there are even more restricted. The web site seems to suggest that reservations be made 2 months in advance..
colbysmith

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2020 11:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
The web site seems to suggest that reservations be made 2 months in advance.

Those folks must not do much travel by boat. I'm lucky if I can be somewhere in the same week as I planned... lol
thataway

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2020 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree that making reservations any length of time ahead is difficult when cruising as most of us do. We virtually never make reservations even in the RV. One exception is big cities, and some state parks for the RV. Boat--places like S. Florida in the winter.

We never had reservations in the 4 years cruising the PNW.
BillE

City/Region: Nashville
State or Province: TN
C-Dory Year: 2004
Vessel Name: TBD
Photos: BillE
PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2020 12:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Colby, we would have loved to have been able to show you a little Southern Hospitality but we are traveling and not in town right now. Sorry about Nashville city administration, they seem to have heads up butts about a lot of issues right now.
colbysmith

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2020 8:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yesterday was a pretty laid back day. I guess they all pretty much have been. Slept in yesterday at the Commodore Yacht Club and it was such a nice day and quaint marina we could have just stayed there another day. But by 11:30 we were back on our way down River. No tows but several fishing boats. Pulled into the Harpeth River and made our way to Pack Island. Both the boat ramps at entering, then again at the park several miles up River have small docks and toilets nearby so accessible locations to dump a porta potti. We anchored in 7’ of water near the end of Pack Island. Took the kayaks then around that island. Afterwards I found I could fit them both on the roof inflated. Don’t think I’d always want to carry them that way as they cover access to the hold railings and stick out beyond the back of the roof just enuf to be a head banger. But we have Cheatham Lock to go thru today and I don’t want to tow them thru. Suppose to be another nice day and I think we’ll Kayak some again later today. Calm and quiet night here with a few mosquitoes showing up at nightfall.
colbysmith

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2020 10:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Back in Clarksville at the marina here tonight. Thought about anchoring in the Red River, but always nice to stay in a marina, especially with discounted slippage fees. (Boat US, and only $22.50 for the night.) Was able to slip-in in front of a downriver tow, right after an upriver tow. Still had to wait about an hour for the upriver tow to get in the locks. And it was a good thing the lock master and the tow captain first in line for the downriver locking allowed me to go thru, as there was another downriver tow closing in. The Cheatham Lock, or Lock A I believe, has been one of the nicer locks I've gone thru. Bollards are used, and they are at an easy height to catch from the C-Dory cockpit. Both times, going up and down, the ride was relatively calm. Going up, I went in with another yacht, and the lock master had us use the first and last bollards saying that would be the least amount of turbulence. Today, going down, I used the bollard closest to the downstream end again. However, looking behind into the middle of the lock, it didn't look any more turbulent there. There was a little more debris in the lock today. Also, while the main river has been mostly clear of debris and logs, the Harpeth River does have a bit more logs and limbs to watch out for.
Have to wonder what dunderhead was out on the main channel tonight as I was walking back from the shower. Heard a tow going by blow 5 toots on his horn.
We have noticed a number of Blue Heron along the river. Not as many as we see on the St. John's River. Also a few Bald Eagles. Seeing more turtles the last few days as well.
colbysmith

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2020 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Was suppose to get thunderstorms today, but ended up with just a few light showers along the way. Anchored in the Dover Island chute around 2:30 and had a passing thunderstorm around 3:30. Lots of fish jumping around here. I assume maybe Carp. And the birds are crazy loud. The old dock wall near the Yellow Creek that was completely abandoned when we stopped to eat lunch at last week had several tows and barges at it today. Lots of land activity going on there, and could see a number of cars and government bus. Curious what they are doing? We pulled into the Yellow Creek, going just beyond the bridge to anchor and have lunch. Had two upbound tows contact me on ch 13 today to ascertain which side I wanted to meet them on, as they were receiving my AIS. My standard answer, I’m just a 25’ pleasure craft and if it’s ok I’ll meet you on the one and will hold close to shore! River current seems to have slowed down just a bit. Farther upstream I was seeing a knot and a half.
hardee

City/Region: Sequim
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Sleepy-C
Photos: SleepyC
PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2020 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Colby, curious if the tugs note any surprise when you answer up "I'm a 25 ft ..."?

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

colbysmith

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2020 10:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nah, I don’t think so. Both said thanks for the come back (on the radio). I think they appreciate knowing what my actions will be. I was about to make my call to them, but they beat me to it. Both times were coming into bends in the River. I’m sure they can see my data on their receivers also if they are looking, including my size. However running at 6kts is pretty much the speed they are running and it’s possible if they don’t see a size readout they may wonder if I’m a tow. In fact the last guy asked if I was towing. Usually I make the first contact so I’m thinking most figure from the readout I’m a smaller recreation boat. Colby
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Grand Adventures All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: