The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

New Trailer I think need some adjustments

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Trailers and Towing
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ssilver

City/Region: Albany NY
State or Province: NY
C-Dory Year: 2004
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Pearly Shell
Photos: Pearly Shell
PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2020 1:14 am    Post subject: New Trailer I think need some adjustments Reply with quote

Sitting on her new trailer. Notice the front support piece is not high enough, the dealer said the weight is mostly in the rear and the bow roller is ok. I am questioning that the more I think about it and am going to look into raising the support. I wanted to use the boat this weekend and bet loading will be a bit of a challenge w/out the guiding the keel. Seem like the trailer needs to be back pretty far in the water for a smooth retrieve.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
starcrafttom

City/Region: marysville
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 1984
C-Dory Model: 27 Cruiser
Vessel Name: to be decided later
Photos: Susan E
PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2020 1:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

no that look right. weight is mostly on the rear where the bunks are. what you want to test is the tongue weight. getting that right is important
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2020 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You want to be sure that the top of the rear bunks are flat enough for the C Dory. Generally that type of bunk is made for a deep V. I prefer flat 2 x 8 or 2 x 10 bunks, which will articulate enough to confirm to the contour of the hull, which changes in its "dead rise" from a couple of degrees at the transom to 20 or so degrees forward.. How about a photo of how the bunks fit from the rear of the boat?

Also you want either "target bunks"--one 2 x 6 or even 2 x4 on each side, near the bow, that will support the bow and direct it toward the center and align with the winch post and stop/roller near the winch. There will be little if any weight on this when you are at rest after the boat is loaded.

As it is now, you have some risk of scraping the boat on the trailer if you are off center. the forward target can be wood, tubing covered with plastic, or rollers. You don't need a lot of support forward, but you also don't want something which will not fit--and that is what you have now. The support appears to be wood, and a much deeper "V" than is present on the C Dory at that point on the bottom of the hull.

This trailer does not look like one made for a C Dory, but rather for a "deep V" hull.

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
gstraub

City/Region: Callao
State or Province: VA
C-Dory Year: 1998
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: EnDoryFun
Photos: EnDoryFun
PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2020 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have an EZ Loader trailer that looks almost identical. The tops of the bunks are angled for a deep v hull, but for a flat or almost flat hull, you simply swap the bunks (i.e. the left one goes on the right side and vice versa) and the angle is taken out of them for a flat bottom. Dealer explained that to me and swapped them and the C-Dory is well supported on the bunks. Not sure if these are the same, but likely I would bet.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Trailers and Towing All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: