ssobol

City/Region: SW Michigan
State or Province: MI
C-Dory Year: 2008
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: SoBELLE
Photos: SoBelle
PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2020 1:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are probably tens of millions of installed units of the knockoff heater model in China alone. If they were crap there'd be a lot of dead truck drivers and they wouldn't be making so many of them.

While some countries may not value people's lives as much as some others, if there was a problem with these heaters, they'd find a solution if for nothing else then keeping the economy running.
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2020 10:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ssobol wrote:
There are probably tens of millions of installed units of the knockoff heater model in China alone. If they were crap there'd be a lot of dead truck drivers and they wouldn't be making so many of them.

While some countries may not value people's lives as much as some others, if there was a problem with these heaters, they'd find a solution if for nothing else then keeping the economy running.

True, but many of the heaters were originally designed to be used on trucks, tractor cabs and the like. In these applications there is less potential for CO issues than on an enclosed boat. In any case, several good CO detectors are important. (Diesel will produce CO and I have seen --and experienced--the results.). The risk of clean burning diesel or kerosene is less than many other fuels, but still a potential--and the real risk comes at night when all are asleep...

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
T.R. Bauer

City/Region: Wasilla
State or Province: AK
C-Dory Year: 1993
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: C-Whisperer
PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2021 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So I put one in.....8k and warmer than you would ever want. I kind of doubt it's really 8k though since it appears to have exactly the same case as the 5k. I don't really know or even care since it can make the boat 90 degrees (or more) inside when it's 20 outside. Also, unlike the wallas cooktop, the flame seems to be very stable. It shut itself off one time this year, but it was because a fishing towel found it's way over the air intake in the gunnel and even provided the correct fault code. Wow! It also seems to burn much cleaner than my wallas with nearly no smoke at all. I really like the controller - It has a timer, displays voltage, shows temp, trouble codes, and a few other things. The manual is even better than I expected - totally usable. I didn't see a real measurable difference in the exhaust hose compared to the wallas - except it is a smaller diameter by a couple mils. Some said it might be cheap....maybe so, but I can't tell. My CO detector has never shown anything more then 0.0 inside the cabin with it running. In a nutshell - totally surprised by how good it is and quite happy.
Pat Anderson

City/Region: Birch Bay, WA
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Daydream
Photos: Daydream and Crabby Lou
PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2021 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Colby, we removed our Wallas many years ago, and replaced it with a Webasto for heating and a little one burner butane stove for cooking. We ended up selling the Wallas for enough to cover most of the cost of the Webasto and its installation. I bought the Webasto mail order from a company that sells them for truck sleepers. Scott Boysen, who was the factory manager under the ownership prior to the Wrights, installed our Webasto (that should give you a clue how long ago it has been). The Webasto has run flawlessly for us for all those years.

The Wallas was neither a good heater, because the heat came out at waist height instead of at floor level and was not ducted, nor a good cooktop, as it took too long to start up and shut down, and did not offer fine temperature control. Plus it was just plain cranky, especially if it ran out of fuel and had to be reprimed.

I always said there were two kinds of Wallas owners:a those who have had trouble with their Wallas, and those who are going to!

DAYDREAM - CD25 Cruiser
CRABBY LOU - CD16 Angler (sold 2020)
Pat & Patty Anderson, C-Brat #62!
http://daydreamsloop.blogspot.com

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: