The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Tomcat in FL

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> General Technical Discussions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Westie

City/Region: Bodega Bay
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 2006
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: True North
Photos: Westie
PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2020 3:02 pm    Post subject: Tomcat in FL Reply with quote

Hi,

It's looking like I am be relocating my Tomcat 255 to Cape Coral FL. While it won't allow me to fish the backwaters, it will be a great cruiser! I wanted to ask a few questions to help me prep:

1) Has anyone put their Tomcat on a 10k lift? It seems like there is a lot of confusing info out there on the boats actual weight.

2) Has anyone had any luck adding A/C with a honda generator? Thinking the cabin will get warm in the no wake zone!

Thanks

gulfcoast john

City/Region: PENSACOLA
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2010
Vessel Name: Cat O' Mine
Photos: CAT O' MINE
PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2020 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Westie,
Congrads on the move!

The weight of a TC255 can easily vary by over 2,000 pounds depending on how you load it.

My aluminum Float-On trailer weighs 2,000 lbs (mfgr cert). Certified CAT scale rig weight in Nov 2014 was 11,060 lbs with ⅛ to ¼ gas, no water, no pax in heavy cruise mode.

In March 2020, six years later, same gas/water/pax/heavy cruise was a remarkably consistent 11,080 lbs, or 9,060-9,080 lbs without the trailer, gas, water or pax.

Full gas alone weighs 150g x 6lbs/g = 900 lbs.

Full water = 40g x 8.4lbs/g = 336 lbs incl holding tank.

3 Mississippi good ol’ boys = 330 lbs each x 3 = 990 lbs plus 30 lbs of light beer = 1,020 lbs.

400 lbs of ice + 400 lbs of tuna = 800 lbs.

A six-pack of scuba divers with their tanks and gear and compressor = Well, I have no idea.

Only three other TC255 owners have posted actual scale weights, and they were all over 11,000 lbs except one who got 10,000+ lbs without including his tongue weight...mine is 1,100 lbs (trailers varied).

Based on your album pics, your steel trailer will weigh more, so will your aft helm, subtract some for no bimini and ? different engines, spares, etc. All our clothes for 6 weeks in Key West fit in a clear bag barely bigger than a 13g kitchen trash bag ($1 for laundry). Maybe you pack more, maybe you pack less.

I would advise multiplying whatever amount of state income taxes you WON’T have to pay California annually by the next ten years you hope to be a Florida resident paying NO state income tax... and invest that amount towards a 12,000 lb boat lift. And watch your gas and pax and loading management.

Regarding air conditioning in south FL:

After seven years on this boat in hot conditions even at no wake speed (5.5MPH) we have found that with the opening front window and a Caframo Ultimate 12v 2 speed fan pointed at each of us and an RTIC tumbler full of icy Crystal Lite we will be perfectly comfortable. We have a 6,000 BTU window unit and pool noodles for the front window, but it’s not worth the trouble and storage hassles. Same for the Honda 2000iu and separate gas container and adding gas to the Honda on the boat and the Carbon Monoxide worries.

But when we cruise into the next protected marina for the night, THAT is when we want AC on shorepower, and a lot of it to cool the cabin quickly. The PO used a Honda 3500w to power the 13,500 BTU RV rooftop AC, but not when underway. 13,500 BTU was adequate and our replacement 15,000 BTU is overkill (but only $125 more). It gets cool dry air into the berth a LOT sooner than a 9200 Btu unit could. Sometimes overkill is sweet.

Consensus seems to be the Honda 2000iu will power up to about 9200 BTU rooftop. I have one, but I wouldn’t use it for that. Once you get out into the sound some idiot in a motor yacht will be throwing a surprise 4 foot wake that soaks your shorepower inlet and Honda with saltwater. Bummer.

I’d advise getting a 13,500 btu rooftop Coleman for marinas while cruising, and plan on anchoring out during ‘shoulder seasons’ with 12v fans for cooling. Endless Breeze RV 12v fans work well, we use three.

Hope this is helpful. I PM’ed my cell phone if you’d like to talk.

Bob Austin has vast experience re both these issues, so hopefully he will opine as well. Much depends on unique owner issues, such as how their need for a dinghy to get Angel ashore limits the rooftop RV AC option.

You’ll find some option that works best for you and yours!

Welcome to Florida!

Best,
John

Westie

City/Region: Bodega Bay
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 2006
Vessel Name: True North
Photos: Westie
PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2020 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WOW! Thats a great response! Much appreciated.
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2020 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good move! Also add in that there is no personal property tax on boats in Florida. (Of course there is the issue of flood and hurricane insurance...).

Yes the Honda EU2000 (now the 2200) will power the 9200 Polar Cub. That is what I had on my 255 and would use on the 25, if we put in a fixed AC unit. We have done fine with our 5,000 BTU window unit on two 25's and 2 22's. The 9200 is better. If you put the Easy Start system on an AC unit it allows the 9200 to run off the 2000 with eco mode. Less fuel and less noise. I believe that you will be able to run the 13,500 BTU AC if you want.

We do fine with fans most of the time--but Pensacola is a 4 (mild) seasons venue.
In the day if we are anchored, moored or on the trailer and run the AC, we put the Refletic mylar bubble material in the windows. I work inside of the boat during the middle of the summer temp outside is in the 100* the 5000 BTU window unit will bring it down about 20*. I do fine in 80*. We have never run the AC underway on the Tom Cat or the 25's. I did have a trawler which had AC on the flying bridge, and an 8 KW diesel generator, and did run that. It was a toss up, the AC vs leaving curtains up, and letting the breeze come thru--when underway, we let the breeze do its work. When anchored, we would pull the curtains down and fire up the air conditioning on the trawler. Total air conditioning on that boat was 45000 BTU.

My lift is rated at 16,000# It worked fine with the Tom Cat. The major difference is bearings, and size of cables. Do you have double cable on each of the 4 corners? What HP motor do you have on the cable winders?

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
Deluke

City/Region: Meigs
State or Province: GA
C-Dory Year: 2004
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Miss Adventure
Photos: Miss Adventure
PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2020 6:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Westie
I live near Tallahassee. Most of the time we don’t use the ac while underway. But if we are on a long slow run when the temp is 98 with 98% humidity We will fire it up. The Honda 2200 runs the 13500 BTU Mach 8 unit with no issue. I welded an adapter onto the Honda muffler to extend the exhaust over the transom. So far it has worked flawlessly. I did install 2 carbon monoxide detectors to be on the safe side. I posted pics of ac model number on my album.
richardbown

City/Region: United States
PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2020 7:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

great move.
BTDT

City/Region: Grand Lake Oklahoma
State or Province: OK
C-Dory Year: 2007
Vessel Name: C- Lark Wine Down
Photos: C-Lark
PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2020 9:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I keep my 2007 Tomcat year around on a 10k capacity HydroHoist lift with zero issues.

I installed a Coleman A/C on the roof and run it with a Honda 2200i generator when temps approach 100. I placed the roof air close to the front to quickly defrost the windshield, blow cold air on the front passengers while underway, and to take advantage of the stronger curved front roof area on my Tomcat. The A/C generally keeps the interior in the mid to high 70's while underway in 100 degree afternoons. With the rear door closed while underway the helm area is pretty darn quiet and no indication that a generator is running.

I have an aluminum under body lockable tool box from Tractor supply ($200) that sits nicely between the ladder rails on the back step. I cut two 12 inch round holes on the sides of the box that allows for free flowing exhaust and air intake when using the generator underway or parked. I close the access holes when not in use with standard round marine screw in boat access covers. Water intrusion has never been a problem.

I haven't smelled exhaust while underway, nor had the CO monitor go off. I added a second CO monitor for peace of mind, and still no CO detected while parked or underway.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> General Technical Discussions All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: