The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Cold weather outboard question

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> General Technical Discussions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Fishcatcher907

City/Region: Soldotna
State or Province: AK
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Legacy
Photos: Legacy
PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2020 12:30 pm    Post subject: Cold weather outboard question Reply with quote

So I’m planning on taking my boat out for a few days on a deer hunt.
The nighttime temps might get in the single digits.
What precautions should I take the my 90hp Honda motor? I’ve never camped on anchor with day/night temps below freezing.

ssobol

City/Region: SW Michigan
State or Province: MI
C-Dory Year: 2008
Vessel Name: SoBELLE
Photos: SoBelle
PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2020 12:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Cold weather outboard question Reply with quote

Fishcatcher907 wrote:
What precautions should I take the my 90hp Honda motor? I’ve never camped on anchor with day/night temps below freezing.

Make sure the engine drains of water before you tilt it up. Also, if there is a chance of rain, keep the engine in the vertical position so that water can't enter the hub (exhaust) and freeze, or keep the hub covered. I've been out on my boat in conditions where it froze overnight and haven't had any problems.
tsturm

C-Dory Year: 2003
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: JMR TOO
Photos: JMR-TOO
PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2020 1:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Cold weather outboard question Reply with quote

ssobol wrote:
Fishcatcher907 wrote:

Make sure the engine drains of water before you tilt it up. Also, if there is a chance of rain, keep the engine in the vertical position so that water can't enter the hub (exhaust) and freeze, or keep the hub covered. I've been out on my boat in conditions where it froze overnight and haven't had any problems.

I always leave the lower unit in the water when below freezing.
Water temps will be far greater than aimb. for a couple more months any way. The engine will stay warm when you shut it off for plenty long enough for water in the block to drain Thumbs Up
I have had a boat sitting in the Homer Harbor for the last 24 winters. In the old days it had to be above +10 deg. F for me to go out.
Now it's +30 F & above Laughing Good luck on your deer excursion!!
C-Wolfe

City/Region: Anchorage
C-Dory Year: 2006
Vessel Name: C-Wolfe
Photos: C-Wolfe
PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2020 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I’m going through the same thought process right now. Are you going in PWS? Maybe I’ll see you there. I was thinking of going this coming weekend but the forecast is for -3F at night. I might wait a bit to see if it’s warm up.
Foggy

City/Region: Traverse City; Northern Lake Michigan
State or Province: MI
C-Dory Year: 2014
C-Dory Model: 26 Venture
Vessel Name: Boatless in Boating Paradise
Photos: W B Nod
PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2020 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Get all the water out of it.

Aye.

T.R. Bauer

City/Region: Wasilla
C-Dory Year: 1993
Vessel Name: C-Whisperer
PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2020 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I always leave mine down when boating in K-Bay or PWS when it is below freezing. They probably quickly drain right out no matter the position, but that's what I do. If you are going deer hunting in PWS, I seriously doubt it will be anywhere near that cold except maybe up in the upper reaches of the northern fjords. And even then....still not totally buying it and would be surprised to see lower than 20 for most of the Sound over the next several days. Today is probably terrible, but the forecast says it is going to settle and I bet it is decent by Wednesday. I'm thinking of a day trip on the weekend myself - love going out!
Fishcatcher907

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2020 1:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well everyone wimped out of me. It’s too dangerous to do that hunt by myself this time of year. Between anchoring and transferring back and forth to the dingy. So I’m going to have to settle for some tanner crabbing and king trolling in K-bay.
SnowTexan

City/Region: Carlton
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2006
Vessel Name: Miss Maria
Photos: Miss Maria
PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2020 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fishcatcher907 wrote:
Well everyone wimped out of me. It’s too dangerous to do that hunt by myself this time of year. Between anchoring and transferring back and forth to the dingy. So I’m going to have to settle for some tanner crabbing and king trolling in K-bay.

Oh man i woulda flown up there in a heartbeat 😂. Froze my butt off glassing For mulies with subzero windchill down here anyway! May as well be up there.
T.R. Bauer

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2020 11:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fishcatcher907 wrote:

Nothing wrong with a trip to K-Bay - went a couple weekends ago and it was very nice. I think there is a good chance the sound is very bumpy this weekend and that isn't any fun.
Fishcatcher907

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2020 1:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

T.R. Bauer wrote:
Fishcatcher907 wrote:

Nothing wrong with a trip to K-Bay - went a couple weekends ago and it was very nice. I think there is a good chance the sound is very bumpy this weekend and that isn't any fun.

Just got back. Hooked quite a few winter kings yesterday and the weather was great.
Stayed the night in tutka bay. We did something wrong crabbing though. All we got was a pot loaded with dungies. Next time I guess.
T.R. Bauer

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2020 9:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Awesome! K-Bay and the lower inlet is a very special place and I love it. If I could work in Homer, I'd move there in a heartbeat!
tsturm

C-Dory Year: 2003
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: JMR TOO
Photos: JMR-TOO
PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2020 10:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fishcatcher907 wrote:

Just got back. Hooked quite a few winter kings yesterday and the weather was great.
Stayed the night in tutka bay. We did something wrong crabbing though. All we got was a pot loaded with dungies. Next time I guess.

King / rockfish / halibut carcasses make fantastic crab bait Thumbs Up
Make sure all your info is on your buoy set up, the Troopers & Park ranger are being very picky this season. Wink Thumbs Up
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> General Technical Discussions All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: