The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Insulating bow sleeping area

View previous topic :: View next topic  
cbadmin

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2003 2:09 pm    Post subject: Insulating bow sleeping area Reply with quote

From: wilbe asea (Original Message) Sent: 2/12/2003 7:50 PM
I will shortly take possession of my 22' cruiser, and after having a conversation last year with a 22' angler owner near Whittier, AK, I have been looking for some thin closed cell foam with which to insulate the bow, then cover that with aluminum foil to reflect radiant heat and then cover that with a strong comfortable fabric, vehicle head liner was suggested. I want to use closed cell foam to eliminate trapping condensation within the foam cells.

Have any of you seasoned C-Dory owners insulated the bow, and what do you recommend for adhesives, foam etc, and do you have a source of supply? Kenai, AK is not on the radar for a lot of businesses, so any help would be greatly apprecieated.

Give old Red Fox a chance to get on here, and he might have some ideas. I know he lined the interior walls of his 22 with a marine carpet and said it helped quite a bit. Something occurred to me, and it's just a thought with no research. How about that roll-on pickup bed liner for the intial layer? Greg (Red Fox) might have some idea of that, too, because he used a very rubbery type of liner on his cockpit floor. I would think if you applied it fairly thick, it would provide a lot of insulating and sound deadening qualities. When fresh and clean, it should provide an excellent surface for adhering whatever you wanted to glue on it.

Mike

Copied from the other site.....

I just went with marine and auto carpet purchased from (Alaska Durable Products) There is very minimal moisture retention. I notice the moisture collects around the cushion area mostly. And that is only with below freezing temps. My heat is ventilated and dry, I'm sure that helps a bunch! The contact adhesive should be sprayed on, I tried a roller and it is way too slow, plus, it saturates areas and bleeds through the carpet when rolling it on. Last but not least, they sold me some very good quality adhesive, I recommend getting a gallon there to.

Greg

Mike that would probably be a great idea ....

Yep, it probably would work pretty good (the bed liner coating). But, what if it didn't? Whoa - what a mess.

YUP not worth the gamble

I'm not sure you can add enough insulation to eliminate condensation and anything touching gets soaked.

I've seen boats with a lattice installed in places like this. Keeps condensation away from the interior and lets it drain into the bilge.
-- Chuck

I can testify to the fact of how well it works just going with one single layer of the carpeting. Going on the 3rd year now and no mildew whatsoever. I think it collects moister but very minimal, and it dries out just by sitting, if you have a cabin ventilator.
The moisture that may collect is almost undetectable!

Greg

Bear with me, this is the first time posting on the new site...hope it works.

In this months issue of Do It Yourself-Boating magazine (DIY-Boating.com as I recall) there is a Very informative article on installing interior insulation on a largish fiberglass yacht. I read it last weekend at Barnes & Noble (cheapskate that I am...). The fellow did the work himself (guess that's why they call it DIY...duh), and seems to have done quite a professional job. He even described what kind of adhesive to use, and the kind not to use! After researching the available insulating materials (some very expensive sound deadening stuff...) he decided to use the foil-wrapped bubble-wrap material often seen on car window reflectors. He then finished the job by covering the foil-bubble material with his choice of foambacked fabric to give it a finished look.

I've used the stuff to make window covers for the pickup and motorhome, and it is very easy to cut-to-shape, etc.

Nice to have a CD site back!
Casey

http://www.diy-boat.com/

Interesting reading....

Thanks for the link

My original plan ran into a snag, the company I had purchased the closed cell foam from did not send it as planned, when queried as to why, they said I still owed them 100 dollars for shipping, since I live in Alaska and it is sooooo far away. I told them they could keep their foam, that was ludicrous as other outfits I have purchased from did not quadruple their shipping charges, and was then told there was no need to be rude.

So I cancelled the order from Foam By Mail, and am back at square one.

Richard, I hear ya, they think we are a 3rd world country up here somtimes.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Cabin, Interior All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: