HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Sling launching tomcat 255

View previous topic :: View next topic  
joechiro30

City/Region: Lynnwood
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2006
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2020 2:19 pm    Post subject: Sling launching tomcat 255 Reply with quote

Hey Brats,

My question is can you sling launch a tomcat 255 without damaging the sponsons? Some have said that it can damage the dual hulls. I got a sling launch modification to my new float on trailer and would like any input on anyone who has sling launched your tomcat.

Thanks.

Joe
gulfcoast john

City/Region: PENSACOLA
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2010
Vessel Name: Cat O' Mine
Photos: CAT O' MINE
PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2020 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Joe,

That is a very interesting question!

I recall it being most questioned around Anacortes, where they have a method of floor jacking up the stern and bow of other C-Dorys to wrap the slings with a 10,000# lift limit.

That is right up against our TC255 CAT scale weight in Heavy Cruise Mode with under ¼ gas.

Other Cats including PDQ’s and Aquilla’s seem to be raised with big Travel Lifts without damage.

And what about lifting a TC255 on a typical forklift with the prongs between the sponsons for a typical Rack & Stack?

I’m looking for responses from the experts who have some experience with this!

Excellent question!

Safe Travels to All!

John

thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2020 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have had both our Tom Cat and Caracal Cat picked up with a travel lift and no issues.

If you are sling launching, you want to be sure that the spreader bars are at least the beam of the boat. The worry is about the bridge deck connecting the hulls, rather than the hulls themselves.

I would be very careful if you are trying to lift the boat using only the tunnel. The hulls are made to take a lot of abuse as you go thru heavy seas. This is torquing far more than a straight simple lift! (Especially at 35 to 40 mph into 2 to 3' seas!

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
joechiro30

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2020 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gulfcoast john wrote:
Joe,

That is a very interesting question!

I recall it being most questioned around Anacortes, where they have a method of floor jacking up the stern and bow of other C-Dorys to wrap the slings with a 10,000# lift limit.

That is right up against our TC255 CAT scale weight in Heavy Cruise Mode with under ¼ gas.

Other Cats including PDQ’s and Aquilla’s seem to be raised with big Travel Lifts without damage.

And what about lifting a TC255 on a typical forklift with the prongs between the sponsons for a typical Rack & Stack?

I’m looking for responses from the experts who have some experience with this!

Excellent question!

Safe Travels to All!

John

My plan was to launch out of Anacortes using their sling launch. I was wondering if they were able to do it with the tomcat 255.
I have been at Dagmars marina for a few years and they used the fork lift method and was able to do it fine with the tomcat. I had them fork lift if several times over the three years I had it there with no issues.
joechiro30

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2020 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thataway wrote:
I have had both our Tom Cat and Caracal Cat picked up with a travel lift and no issues.

If you are sling launching, you want to be sure that the spreader bars are at least the beam of the boat. The worry is about the bridge deck connecting the hulls, rather than the hulls themselves.

I would be very careful if you are trying to lift the boat using only the tunnel. The hulls are made to take a lot of abuse as you go thru heavy seas. This is torquing far more than a straight simple lift! (Especially at 35 to 40 mph into 2 to 3' seas!

Thanks Dr Bob,

My float on trailer has the modification for a sling launch so I hope to be able to launch out of Anacortes and or Edmonds.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: