The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

No need to lose your whole life's work!

View previous topic :: View next topic  
bobjarrard

City/Region: Boulder City
State or Province: NV
PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2020 6:25 pm    Post subject: No need to lose your whole life's work! Reply with quote

C-BRATS,
I had offered in a prior post to come alongside anyone of you who did not want to get 2 minutes on the daily news feed in front of the total loss of your life's work or worse yet, the death or injury of a loved one. My parents lost their home in Napa twice to floods. I have friends who have now lost their homes and all their effects to the fires in the West. When the fires melt the aluminum out of cars onto the asphalt in front of your home, that is serious. Assess then Plan and lastly Implement. It can be done and anything you can do to mitigate a loss is better than the alternative of being a willing victim. Feel free to call me at 714 686-2728 or email me at bobjarrard@gmail.com for all the help I can give you - no cost - no fee, just as a friend. 52 years as a general contractor, rural living for 20 years, and I have seen and experienced most if not all of the disasters that America has suffered in the last 70 years: earthquakes, tornados, hurricanes, hail, blizzards, fire, floods, civil unrest and poor construction practices. First hand and upfront. Too late is always the same, too late. BJ
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2020 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No shortage of disasters this year! It is amazing how Americans come together to overcome adversity...No government involved in our area--havent' seen FEMA, yet people are surviving and rebuilding.
Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
bobjarrard

City/Region: Boulder City
State or Province: NV
PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2020 10:38 pm    Post subject: God observation Reply with quote

Bob, you have given so much great advice to those on the forum and I really appreciate all you share, often from the School of Hard Knocks. When I see one neighbor with a hose save three houses but the rest of the block burns down, it breaks my heart. Insurance is not the answer to risk, it is only part of the approach to some level of security. We all have seen the boater with all the CG required equipment but no training, life vests in a locker under the spare anchor, and then the exercise of poor judgment and the ship and crew end up in dire straits. Fair sailing friends.
Bob Jarrard
Foggy

City/Region: Traverse City; Northern Lake Michigan
State or Province: MI
C-Dory Year: 2014
C-Dory Model: 26 Venture
Vessel Name: Boatless in Boating Paradise
Photos: W B Nod
PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2020 8:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My take:

If you (no-one personally, just the BIG YOU [everyone]) find yourself getting down
on folks who don't seem to measure up by comparing them to what you would do
in less than optimal situations, consider asking yourself

* do you have realistic expectations; not everyone is 'in the know' ?
* anyway, why do you feel it necessary to compare?
* do you feel you are 'helping' by solving another's difficulties?

Bad things can and do happen to good people. Not everyone wants a 'savior' to
solve their problem(s). Most, I believe, would ask for help if they wanted or
needed it. And that's OK. Everyone will need help at some point.

Personal problem solving, if possible, is a way to gain knowledge, improve
ourselves and grow emotionally.

Keep your cup full.

Aye.

hardee

City/Region: Sequim
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Sleepy-C
Photos: SleepyC
PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2020 9:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BJ, Thank you for your kind and generous offer. I know it is meant from the heart. For many, I'm sure, they (we) do not want to burden other folks with what we se as an insufficiency in our selves. Others may think they too, have all the answers and are as prepared as they need to be, and some may think it impossible to attain perfect preparedness for any or all situations due to lack of either physical ability or financial capability.

Much disaster preparation comes way back down the road in time. Choices made is where we live come before what we live in, and then taking care of our immediate surroundings are left to use to do to best be prepared for what's next in life's pathway.

Situational preparedness is a practice and not only helps keep us safe but keep our minds active as well. Whether we are going to bed at night, walking into Walmart, or leaving home for the weekend, we have to do some planning and stay alert. That entails having what you need at hand or being able to use what is at hand for what you need.

This morning I got a message on my news feed that we are looking at more smoke in the PNW from the fires in No Cal. I'm sorry to hear that, both for those that will have trouble breathing, and for those who are loosing their homes and property. Prayers for all, victims, families and firefighters.

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: