The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Do not Run Honda 135/150 while flushing?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> General Technical Discussions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Alyssa Jean

City/Region: Guemes Is.(Anacortes)
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 16 Angler
Vessel Name: Alyssa Jean
Photos: Anna Leigh and Alyssa Jean
PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2006 9:02 am    Post subject: Do not Run Honda 135/150 while flushing? Reply with quote

While looking up some other info in the Honda manual I found a warning that said NOT to run the engine while flushing it using the flush hook-up on the engine. Can anyone shed some light one why you shouldn't do this?

Alyssa Jean 16 Angler
Anna Leigh 22 Cruiser Sold 2005
Anna Leigh 25 Cruiser Sold 2014

K7KJR C-Brats #51
Sawdust

City/Region: Oak Harbor
C-Dory Year: 1984
C-Dory Model: 22 Classic
Photos: C-Salt
PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2006 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep! You will fry the waterpump impeller... so I'm told.

Dusty

flapbreaker

City/Region: Hillsboro
State or Province: OR
C-Dory Year: 2006
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Playin' Hooky
Photos: Playin' Hooky
PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2006 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My Honda 90 has 2 ways to flush it. One way is with this hose adapter thingy that doesn't flush the whole motor. The other is via "ear muffs". The manual says not to run the motor using the hose adapter method. I think that it's not running water through the important parts. Hope this wasn't too technical for you. Smile
Larry H

City/Region: Tulalip,
C-Dory Year: 1991
Photos: Nancy H
PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2006 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What Dusty said!

Here's a technical explanation.

The waterpump is located at the top of the gearcase where it bolts onto the tower housing.(leg) The waterpump turns whenever the driveshaft is turning, which is whenever the powerhead is running. The pump impeller is lubricated with water. So is the seal around the driveshaft under the water pump. If the waterpump is dry, ie: not in the water or not having water supplied by flushing muffs, The impeller will heat up from the friction and melt down.

If you 'dry start' an outboard the impeller will 'fry' in 10 to 15 seconds.

Follow the instructions in YOUR owners manual!!

A C-Brat since Nov 1, 2003
Ranger Tug 27 ex 'Jacari Maru' 2017 - 2022
Puget Trawler 37 ex 'Jacari Maru' 2006-2017
1991 22' Cruiser, 'Nancy H'--1991-2006
starcrafttom

City/Region: marysville
C-Dory Model: 27 Cruiser
Vessel Name: to be decided later
Photos: Susan E
PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2006 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The flushing post was designed to allow the flushing of the motors power head while the motor is in the water. Its for those of us that keep the boat in salt water. You have to tilt the motor up out of the water then flush it with the hose. Ths cleans the salt out of the upper head area that would other wise drain down when you stop the motor. Its not just the salt that does in the motor its the combonation of salt and air. as long as the lower unit is in the water it will be fine. Good thing to do on long trips in the islands on the days you stay in a port.
lloyds

City/Region: sublimity
C-Dory Year: 1996
Vessel Name: undecided
Photos: 1996 22 Cruiser (Lloyds)
PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2006 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is all great information for new, as well as seasoned four stroke owners. As I am in the "new" category with my recent purchase of a 50hp honda, I am a little concerned that I cannot seem to do a decent flush with the muffs. I have tried them twice, and I never get any water out of the telltale. I then have resorted to the adaptor, but now I hear it might not be the correct method for a motor out of water. I am a little confused, right behind concerned.
UncleRichie

City/Region: Bainbridge Is.
C-Dory Year: 2000
Vessel Name: C-Critter
Photos: C-Critter
PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2006 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hI,
Are you letting it run at a idle? the mits work fine on mine gust put them on and turn on the water and start the engine and let it idle for a few min utes.
Richard
lloyds

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2006 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep, I let it idle, but after a while of no water coming out the hole one loses ones' nerve.
rogerbum

City/Region: Kenmore
C-Dory Year: 2008
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: Meant to be
Photos: SeaDNA
PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2006 10:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lloyds wrote:
Yep, I let it idle, but after a while of no water coming out the hole one loses ones' nerve.

I've had a problem getting the muffs to properly seal over the inlets on my Honda 40's. If I get 'em positioned just right, and have the water really flowing good, I get good flow from the tell-tale. If I'm no so careful with the alignment of the muffs, not much flow. Hence, for the longest time, I would stay with the muffs and have my son start the motor while I put a little extra tension on the muffs by hand to get a good seal. This always worked but required two people to get the job done. Finally, I've gotten to the point where I can trust my initial placement and get the things to flush OK on my own. However, I'd feel a lot better if the muffs were simply better constructed to give a good seal in the first place.

At present, I'm having a new parking pad built for the boat. When that's done, my plan is to put a tank at the back that I can fill with fresh water and put some wheel chocks in that will (hopefully) allow me to back the boat up to the tank, lower the motors, turn a hose on into the full tank and run them both. That will be a bit of effort but will make it easier to flush in the long run.

Roger on the SeaDNA

Papillon

City/Region: DeBary, Fl. *On the St. John's River*
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 1993
C-Dory Model: 22 Angler
Vessel Name: Papillon
Photos: Papillon
PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2006 11:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

I'd feel a lot better if the muffs were simply better constructed to give a good seal in the first place.
Roger on the SeaDNA

Roger,
They do make a better "ear muff" and I can only assume it is not the one you are using a this time. There are two styles; Those with the water inlet on the side of the "muff" and the good one has the two ears connected by a wire tension part along with a dual water inlet (water coming into the muffs on both sides, with the hose connection at the bottom of the " Y " configuation.

If you have tried both and have not been please with either, then you have a third option that isn't to dissimilar to your planned solution. They make a portable water bag for your lower units that can be filled with water. Picture a horse with the "feed bag" on....in your case "horsepower".

Hope this information is helpful.

1993 Angler-02' 115 Suzuki 4 Stroke
Sea Wolf

City/Region: Redding
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 1987
Vessel Name: Sea Wolf
Photos: Sea Wolf
PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2006 11:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lots of good advice on flushing engines!

But we still haven't gotten back to David's original question about using the hose flush fitting and running the motor during the flushing:

Does anyone know why the owners manuals for outboard engines with screw threaded hose fittings just below the engine cowlings recommend not running the engine while using the fitting and a freshwater hose?

I can see that there would be a problem if the motor were still in the water, as the pump would still be pushing salt water up into the cooling system, defeating the attempt to get a freshwater rinse.

But wouldn't it be OK to do it if the motor were out of the water with the boat on the trailer? Wouldn't the water from the hose keep the impeller lubricated and cool?

Would the presssure from the hose do any damage to the impeller backing up on it from the outlet side of the pump?

Are there any one-way check valves or pressure relief valves that would stop the hose water from getting back to the impeller?

Can you have too much water pressure in the powerhead?

How big is the inlet in the hose fitting? Is it big enough to allow enough water to go both up and down the water supply passage from the pump, or is it restricted in size to limit the pressure that can be developed inside the powerhead, and hence not able to supply water in both directions?

Of course, if the motor's out of the water with the boat on the trailer, one can easily use the ear muffs which supply fresh water from the intake all the way through, but the above question seems to persist anyway, out of curiosity if nothing else! Joe.

Sea Wolf, C-Brat #31
Lake Shasta, California

"Most of my money I spent on boats and women. The rest I squandered'. " -Annonymous
Sawdust

City/Region: Oak Harbor
C-Dory Model: 22 Classic
Photos: C-Salt
PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2006 12:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Joe,

The rep for Honda told me to just flush it with the hose connection and NOT run the motor -- said if I ran the motor with the lower unit out of the water the water pump would get hot and there would be a costly repair and that running the motor was not necessary to flush the engine. I tilt the motor until it is just clear of the water and let it flush away. Of course if you have the lower unit in salt water and try to flush while running the motor you are getting salt right back into the motor.

When on the trailer I just hook up to the fitting and let it flush - don't run the motor. No rabbit ears necessary.

No "why" answers! You can picture this old dude doing a balancing act on the swim step while trying to put on a rabbit ear affair... I LOVE the book way because I keep the boat in the salt water and like keep my motor flushed and free of salt.

Dusty -- see you at the SBS!
Sea Wolf

City/Region: Redding
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 1987
Vessel Name: Sea Wolf
Photos: Sea Wolf
PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2006 12:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, Dusty!

I'm just trying to get an answer for David and satisfy my own endless curiosity.

"Why" becomes pointless if you simply follow common sense and take the easy way out and follow the rules.

Some of us are just to stubborn about trying to find out why things work the way they do that it get us in a lot of trouble, I guess.

See ya' at the show!!!

Joe.
starcrafttom

City/Region: marysville
C-Dory Model: 27 Cruiser
Vessel Name: to be decided later
Photos: Susan E
PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2006 2:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Back tothe muffs for a second. the muffs with the rectangle rubber ears dont work worth a damm. the ones with the round ears work a better. And make sure the water is on all the way.

Question does the water come out the line when you are running the boat in the water? some time the little hose will get clogged. pull it off the engine block and blow it out with a air hose.
lloyds

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2006 8:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My tube is okay, just doesn't flow with the muffs. I might look for some better muffs at the show. I bought the flushing attachment but put it away too good.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> General Technical Discussions All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: