View previous topic :: View next topic  
davidJ

City/Region: Anacortes
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 19 Angler
Vessel Name: E-Z Rider
Photos: davidJ
PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2020 1:17 pm    Post subject: Retired my ice chest this week Reply with quote

I retired my ice chest this week and replaced it with a fish bag. The fish bag is about 2" wide 18" high and about 42" long. I can slide it up into the cabin of my C 19 between the bunks along side of a couple of 5 gallon buckets we use to hold gear. Now I have about 30% more room in the back of my boat for catching fish. We had 4-7 pound silvers in the bag yesterday at Eagle Point, area 7 Wa, and it looks like it would hold a couple more. It takes about the same amount of effort to clean it as it takes to clean the ice chest, and the ice will last a couple of days. I paid about $35 for it at Holiday Sports, but they can run up to about a $100. We caught the silvers with the down riggers set at about 120 feet down.
PaulNBriannaLynn

City/Region: Fort White
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: TBD
Photos: Lorelei
PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2020 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did just what you did and pitched the cooler for a while. Its great for short trips, or colder weather. The biggest drawback I saw was it doesn't hold a lot of ice, and the ice it does hold melts pretty quick. Also mine leaked. Say you've got a few silvers in there bleeding out, mixing with the melty ice water, and you take the fish bag from the boat to the pickup truck to head home, and you've dripped fish blood/water all over everything. Now a few days later because I was too worn out/lazy from fileting the fish to clean up my mess, its really started to fester my pickup bed, and everything else its dripped on. I think its worth the hassle for those short day fishing trips and not have a big icebox in the cockpit.
ken westrope

City/Region: ephrata
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2008
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: c-knight
Photos: C-Knight
PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2020 10:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tried one leaked like a sieve. Now stored in garage
tsturm

City/Region: Soldotna
State or Province: AK
C-Dory Year: 2003
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: JMR TOO
Photos: JMR-TOO
PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2020 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PaulNBriannaLynn wrote:
I did just what you did and pitched the cooler for a while. Its great for short trips, or colder weather. The biggest drawback I saw was it doesn't hold a lot of ice, and the ice it does hold melts pretty quick. Also mine leaked. Say you've got a few silvers in there bleeding out, mixing with the melty ice water, and you take the fish bag from the boat to the pickup truck to head home, and you've dripped fish blood/water all over everything. Now a few days later because I was too worn out/lazy from fileting the fish to clean up my mess, its really started to fester my pickup bed, and everything else its dripped on. I think its worth the hassle for those short day fishing trips and not have a big icebox in the cockpit.

Why not clean fish out on the water & only pack meat home?
Not trying to be a smartass(witch is unusual) just asking. Thumbs Up
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: